Is the 'Calories Burned' Count too High?

Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone think the 'Calories Burned' seems too high for any given activity? Every time I enter in a workout, I leave with a 'no way' feeling...

Replies

• Lele71
    Lele71 Posts: 76
    I noticed that when I started using a hrm that the amount of calories was lower than what the calories burned would say. So now I just enter what my hrm says.
  • SlowlyLosingLolita
    SlowlyLosingLolita Posts: 93 Member
    I think they are way too high. It doesn't seem logical that 8hrs of my job should burn 1,200.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Some activities have numbers that are close to my hrm. Others, not so close.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    I wonder that myself, I use the calories burned amount on the exercise machine, not the MFP amount.
  • Nini_Soto_
    Nini_Soto_ Posts: 27
    For me, it is ALWAYS incorrect! I always put what my hrm says. I think it is more or less about half of what they say.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Some activities have numbers that are close to my hrm. Others, not so close.

Agree. My strength training ones are always more then what the MFP quotes me. Running is close depending on the speed. But I always use my HRM and use that number.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    I've always thought they were too high for some activities - that's one reason I don't try to eat all of my exercise calories.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    I wonder that myself, I use the calories burned amount on the exercise machine, not the MFP amount.

Once I got my HR monitor I realized that I was burning half as much as the cardio machines said I was burning....

Keep in mind everyone has different fitness levels & the fitter you are the less cals you'll burn, but if it is possible for you to invest in a HR monitor in order
    to have the correct calorie knowledge for your weight loss journey I would definitely advise you to purchase one.
  • Good to know. I don't have the monies to buy a HRM, so Ill underestimate those pesky calories for now :)
  • Dmg114
    Dmg114 Posts: 47 Member
    If I run for 30 minutes, I will usually only input part of that time, so like 20 mins or if i take a 50 min class of spinning I only put in 35-40 mins that way if it is overestimating I am closer to where
  • Dmg114
    Dmg114 Posts: 47 Member
    If I run for 30 minutes, I will usually only input part of that time, so like 20 mins or if i take a 50 min class of spinning I only put in 35-40 mins that way if it is overestimating I am closer to where I should be.
  • joshholl
    joshholl Posts: 17
    i walked 4 miles in an hour and it says i burned 751 calories this morning, seems way to high to me
This discussion has been closed.