muscle pain

Options
jenfunfur
jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
So after completing day one of c25k yesterday i'm in agony with my thigh myscles! I warmed up before & did some stretches afterwards, but when i woke up today they were so tight i could barely get down the stairs. I guess all i'm askung is for some help & to know it will get better the more i run? I really want to stick with running but not at this expense :(

Thanks in advance x

Replies

• badblood
    badblood Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, this may not help immediately but I have heard the glucosamine sulphate supplements can help really well with the muscle ache. The other way is to grit your teeth and bear it, if it is just in the muscle it means it is working as long as one leg in not significantly more painful than the other which could indicate injury.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    totally normal if you worked out hard and used muscles that you hadn't before. try to embrace the pain and keep moving....seriously, the more you move the faster it will break up. also, ice, ice, ice.

in the future, take an advil after you work out, and before you go to bed, don't just stretch, but stretch for longer than you are used to and also massage your legs well and deep to break up the lactic acid pretty soon after you run, and ice your legs to bring down the inflammation. if you can stand to get into a cold tub that's the best, if not use ice packs and move them around.

I got into an ice tub after running the marathon and had no real discomfort that night or following day....just minor stiffness and tiredness of course.

Advil, longer stretching session, Ice, ice, ice.....you'll see a huge difference.
  • dd_salas
    dd_salas Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    and stretching with a foam roller helps. It hurts like hell, but it speeds up the release of lactic acid that causes so much pain.
  • jenfunfur
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, one question 'what is a foam roller?'
    I will grit my teeth & get through it got day two tomorrow. Will do everything suggested when i've completed the workout, fingers crossed this will get easier :)
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what a foam roller was too.....
    Yes jen it will get easier. I find freeze gel helps but to be honest its your bodys way of saying what the F*** have you done to me! Its not used to running and its complaining. The more you do it the better it will get.... make sure you walk for a good long while after your run to warm down the thigh muscles and stretch stretch stretch... may seem boring and silly but the more you stretch after hopefully the less painful it will be the next day!
    Radox bath for immediate problem though, followed by freeze gel!! x
  • jessmars
    jessmars Posts: 131
    Options
    Foam Roller, lots of water, stretching, advil and ice are/will be your best friend.....here's a website to see what a foam roller is as well as some good tips on how to use it

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=9911
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    That foam roller idea looks pretty cool actually. Might give it a try. Thanks for the tip. I must admit that if after running today, I am in pain again, I'm going to hit the Anadin. I've resisted so far but I have a load of work to finish today, so I can't afford to be debilitated...I need to be able to use my sewing machine!

Really hope it eases soon, Jen. Xx
  • Tarah40
    Tarah40 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I started c25k last week and thought I was going to die the next day (bit dramatic I know). I managed to drag myself out for d2 and definately did not feel quite as bad the day after. I've just completed d3 this morning after an early start. Good luck xx
  • jenfunfur
    Options
    Hmmm the foam roller does look good :)
    Thanks for giving me hope, i don't want to lose motivation & give up.