Silly question...

chevy88grl
chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
I recently switched up my exercise routine and wonder if I am logging it correctly.

Here's what I do:

I pick 3 machines at the gym (due to a shoulder injury I can only use the machines). I track the weight I used the last time I did those machines -- I do 3 times at the gym on those machines at a weight before moving it up. So, the weight gets moved once a month.

I warm up on the treadmill for 10 mins - 5 walking and 5 running at a slower speed (usually 4.5 or 4.6).

I then go over and do as many reps as I can on each of the 3 machines I've picked for that day. Then back to the treadmill for another 10 mins of running (usually at a higher speed - such as 5.5). Then back to the machines. Then back to the treadmill for another 10 mins of walking at 3.8 with an incline of at least 6.0. Then back to the machines for one last go at them. AND finally one last time on the treadmill running for 5 mins.

I've been logging it as cardio for the strength training and then "treadmill" and just make it so the calories match what the treadmill said I burned.

Should I be logging it differently? I'm working really hard on those machines and am sweaty and exhausted by the time I leave the gym.

Replies

• krixi
    krixi Posts: 44 Member
    I remember the days when I had to pretty much guess my calories burnt. I don't have an answer for you, but I'm gonna say the obvious: You should invest in a HRM, that way you'll be able to accurately track your calories no matter what activity you're doing :)

sounds like a good routine though!
  • Hi there,
    I think you are logging your exercise correctly, because you are keeping your heart rate up over say 60% maximum heart rate (220 minus your age) I would assume that because you are treating the weights as if you are doing your own little circuit class. A circuit class usually involves weights and cardio - with the weights being lighter but doing more reps. By going back to the treadmill etc, you are keeping your heartrate up there and burning fat and calories whilst toning your muscles.....well done! I think I'll try that tomorrow because I don't have time to wait for a regular pump class before headin off to work!
    You go girl! :)
  • chevy88grl
    I remember the days when I had to pretty much guess my calories burnt. I don't have an answer for you, but I'm gonna say the obvious: You should invest in a HRM, that way you'll be able to accurately track your calories no matter what activity you're doing :)

sounds like a good routine though!

I'm hoping to buy a HRM in the next few months. Right now, with vacation plans already in place (and promised), I just can't eeck out the extra money to buy one (I want to get a good one vs settling for a cheaper one, ya know?). So, I'm hoping by my birthday (Sept 24) I will have one. If not, I plan to buy one with my birthday money. :) So, for now.. it's all about guessing. Which kinda stinks.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    You may want to log the strength training part of it as Circuits instead. If your heart rate is up, it will burn more calories, than if you do the normal strenth training where you rest between sets, and exercises. I've used a HRM, and usually burn 200 to 300 calories doing normal strength training in an hour, but doing circuit training I get around 700 to 800 calories. in the same time frame.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    HRM overestimates calories burned by strength training however. See http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698
  • chevy88grl
    You may want to log the strength training part of it as Circuits instead. If your heart rate is up, it will burn more calories, than if you do the normal strenth training where you rest between sets, and exercises. I've used a HRM, and usually burn 200 to 300 calories doing normal strength training in an hour, but doing circuit training I get around 700 to 800 calories. in the same time frame.

I do believe my heart rate is staying up during the strength training part of it. I'm really pushing myself during it and I'm constantly moving -- no resting. AND I check my heart rate on the treadmill (which I know isn't 100% accurate either) when I get back on to do the running part of it and it is showing it at 155 when I climb back on to run. It is usually up around 167 while I'm running. So, I'm pretty sure it is staying up during my entire workout vs letting it drop during strength training.
  • chevy88grl
    bump to see if I can get more opinions...
This discussion has been closed.