How do you get out of an Apt Lease?

Options
I just moved to this new place and both our cars got broken into already. I just want to get out of here already. I don't know who did it but I have a feeling it was the folks down stairs because my two year old runs around a lot and the people below us are always pounding on our floor with their broom until it scared the kids. Seriously I want out of this 12 month lease. How do I get out of it. I don't feel safe there and on top of that there is so much wrong with the place. My husband is leaving to BTC in Oct.:explode:

Replies

• emmab3ar
    emmab3ar Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just moved to this new place and both our cars got broken into already. I just want to get out of here already. I don't know who did it but I have a feeling it was the folks down stairs because my two year old runs around a lot and the people below us are always pounding on our floor with their broom until it scared the kids. Seriously I want out of this 12 month lease. How do I get out of it. I don't feel safe there and on top of that there is so much wrong with the place. My husband is leaving to BTC in Oct.:explode:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    You can talk to a lawyer, but most leases are iron-clad. Take a look at your lease agreement and it should have a clause about breaking the lease and the amount you would have to pay to do so. If you can afford it, do it as quickly as possible. If not, speak to the manager about the problems. maybe they can move your lease to another apartment or mediate between you and your neighbors.

:flowerforyou:
    Good luck sweetie!
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've done this before and it's not pretty. You say your husband is leaving? IF the lease has a transfer clause for military or work related transfers (sorry, I don't know what BTC is) then you may be able to get out under that clause.

In my case, I was just moving in with my girlfriend and wanted to break the lease. I was required to keep paying the rent until the unit rented to someone else. It remained vacant for two months before it rented IIRC and then I was off the hook. My GF didn't require me to help with her mortgage during those two months so it didn't kill me.

Just remember that the complex manager will likely try to rent every vacant unit before yours. It's not personal, it's just business. OTOH, If you are exceptionally polite and nice to the people who actually show the units (and maybe offer them a cash incentive) then you might get it rented quicker. In some localities, you might be able to sub-let to another person but I've never done that and don't have any advice.

Good Luck!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    I've done this before and it's not pretty. You say your husband is leaving? IF the lease has a transfer clause for military or work related transfers (sorry, I don't know what BTC is) then you may be able to get out under that clause.

In my case, I was just moving in with my girlfriend and wanted to break the lease. I was required to keep paying the rent until the unit rented to someone else. It remained vacant for two months before it rented IIRC and then I was off the hook. My GF didn't require me to help with her mortgage during those two months so it didn't kill me.

Just remember that the complex manager will likely try to rent every vacant unit before yours. It's not personal, it's just business. OTOH, If you are exceptionally polite and nice to the people who actually show the units (and maybe offer them a cash incentive) then you might get it rented quicker. In some localities, you might be able to sub-let to another person but I've never done that and don't have any advice.

Good Luck!

I know in New Mexico, it is illegal to force a prorate for more than two months, no matter what.
  • emmab3ar
    Options
    My husband is leaving to Basic Traning for the Military. I was thinking about Sub-leasing it out to someone else for the rest of my lease but I gotta find out how to do that.
  • stephanielamb79
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure about this Emma.. but as a military spouse myself I'm pretty darn sure his orders for basic training will release him. He can talk to his recruiter or once he's gone you can contact JAG. Good luck and I sure hope that you can.
  • emmab3ar
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure about this Emma.. but as a military spouse myself I'm pretty darn sure his orders for basic training will release him. He can talk to his recruiter or once he's gone you can contact JAG. Good luck and I sure hope that you can.

He's not on the lease with me...
  • MiaEllie
    MiaEllie Posts: 84
    Options
    Several years ago, my husband and I rented a townhouse in PA. Within the first week of moving in we had harassing neighbors. Just a real nightmare. We were very lucky that when we explained the situation to the agent that rented us the unit, she let us out of the lease. Maybe if you explain what you have been going through, the property manager will understand and work with you on this.
    Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • emmab3ar
    Options
    Several years ago, my husband and I rented a townhouse in PA. Within the first week of moving in we had harassing neighbors. Just a real nightmare. We were very lucky that when we explained the situation to the agent that rented us the unit, she let us out of the lease. Maybe if you explain what you have been going through, the property manager will understand and work with you on this.

I'll try that out and let you know how that goes. I need to save up first before I get out of the lease because I don't know if I will get my deposit back and if I will have to pay any extra fees. Did you have to show proof of them harassing you?
  • MiaEllie
    MiaEllie Posts: 84
    Options

I'll try that out and let you know how that goes. I need to save up first before I get out of the lease because I don't know if I will get my deposit back and if I will have to pay any extra fees. Did you have to show proof of them harassing you?

We didn't have any proof so we were lucky that we didn't need to show any proof. They would do things like stand in front of our house where our windows were open and smoke cigarettes so the smoke would go into our home. They would send their kids over to play in front of our home and they would bounce their ball off of the front of our house at our dining room window every evening when we were trying to eat dinner. When they saw us come home, they would park their car (no one inside the car or near by) right in front of our carport with the doors open and BLAST music for hours. Every time that they would do these things they would look into our home and smile and laugh and point (even the kids!). We think that we weren't welcome to the community because we were "different". Well it was the easiest move b/c we never unpacked.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    My husband is leaving to Basic Traning for the Military. I was thinking about Sub-leasing it out to someone else for the rest of my lease but I gotta find out how to do that.

The apartment complex we lived in before did allow for people to get out of the lease if they found someone to take over, so we posted it on Craigslist and offered 2 months free, no deposit, etc. That helped get it off our hands for the rest of the year!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Talk to your apartment leasing agent. They may let you out. I moved into an apartment once, and the crazy alcoholic 40 year old accountant broke in and threatened me. Called the cops on her, almost had the shotgun loaded... it was a MESS. Anyhow, the landlord let me out of the lease completely. Maybe yours will let you out, or transfer you to another location.

In NC, most of my leases in college (in the college slums) were ironclad, unbreakable. My most recent apartments (not college slums, thank goodness) required one month's rent to break the least, and I got my deposit back.

Talk to the landlord/ leasing agent!! Tell them your fears!! Check to see is subleasing is an option. It may not be -- it was prohibited in my contracts.

Also contact the police, ask them for more frequent patrols due to the break ins of your automobiles.
  • emmab3ar
    Options
    I left a msg for my LL. I requested that he call me today. I'll keep you guys updated.:happy:
  • stephanielamb79
    Options
    Regardless of if he's on the lease if your husband has orders and you are his wife that changes things. JAG is free. I still recommend you atleast contact them.