Vegetarian Lunch Box Ideas...???

Options
doobabe
doobabe Posts: 436 Member
I pack a lunch every day, as I work long hours and dont like to eat out. I am finding it harder each day to come up with a sandwich/main course though? I make PB&J usually, or just cheese on wheat bread............... but it is getting BORING and I find myself not even wanting to eat.......... I cant pack something that needs to be cooked or heated, because I usually leave and eat in the park with my husband and it just becomes too much of a hassle. And I cant pack something that will get soggy within a couple of hours because thats just gross.....

So.... the big question........... if your a vegetarian and pack a lunch- what do you pack? I have no problem with the snacks- its just the sandwich that I struggle with............. Ideas appreciated! :o)

Replies

• shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Let's see, I usually pack:
    Hummus & tabouli on an 80 cal whole wheat wrap with lettuce & a piece of cheese
    Salad topped with cole slaw or salsa or tuna salad
    Macaroni and tuna salad (mixed with low fat ranch instead of mayo)
    Yogurt & fruit

Those are just some ideas! Feel free to look at my diary for more ideas, I bring lunch to work everyday :) Have a good day!
  • julieban1
    julieban1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How about hummus and/or caponata with homemade whole wheat pita chips & veggie slices (carrots, celery, peppers, etc). Yummy & filling!
  • darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Check out the vegan lunchbox blog. She wrote a book as well. Lots of great ideas.
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Look on the internet and learn how to make vietnamese roll ups: they are fabulous and you can put all sorts of things in them and much healthier that P&B sandwiches!
    Cook brown rice and use that as a filler with: salads, vegetarian meat loaf, grilled mushrooms, stir fries...
    I put my dressing to salads in a little Tupperware container and then in a bigger one: so it doesn't leak.
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    For me I pack:

Veggie egg salad with crackers or in pita. (Egg whites, Dijon mustard, vegenaise, red onion)
    Salads packed in pitas or wraps constantly changing
    Pizza - I love this cold but no one else does.

For hubby:
    Cold udon noodles or any noodle dish sometimes with tofu with different veggies bought frozen then steamed
    Cold pasta salads - olive oil, Mrs. Dash, tofu Chirizo
    Pesto pasta with peas
    Pasta primavera
    White bean sandwiches topped with tomato,cucumber and sprouts on sub bread (process white beans with basil, arugula or red pepper)
    Chickpea sandwich filling in pita or on sesame bread. Mash chickpeas with fork mix in celery, onion, Vegenaise, lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper to taste

For son:
    PB&J alternated peanut butter with almond and cashew butters on various breads
    Cold cut wraps- wrap, provolone, lettuce, vegenaise and veggie cold cuts rolled up then cut in half
    Homemade banana, zucchini, pumpkin breads with cream cheese

These are our regular cold lunches. We have others that I like but we don't make that often. Let me know if you need specific recipes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hummus and whole grain crackers or veggie sticks; greek yogurt with granola and fruit, you can buy individual serviings of brown rice that is fully cooked and just needs microwaving, lowfat cheese and whole grain crackers and a piece of fruit, leftovers!
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    Right now my son is loving a bagel with peanut butter or any nut butter. He's been topping them with raisins, bananas or cranberries which I think is gross but at least he's not eating cheese pizza every day in the cafeteria.

I think the MFP version of this would be a whole wheat bagel thin (100) calories and a nut butter topped with a few cranberries.
  • SortaBadass
    SortaBadass Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My favorite veggie sandwich is probably alfalfa sprouts, greek or garlic hummus, and two slices of provolone cheese on a wheat or oat nut bread. I will make it at 6 a.m. and eat it between noon and 1 p.m. and it will not have wilted or gotten soggy in my backpack during that time.

I'm also a big fan of grain + protein meals, like couscous and tofu, long grain rice and tempeh, etc. vegweb.com is my favorite recipe source.