Will Cicadas send you running for the treadmill?

Fernandomike
Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
The 13-year cicadas are expected to arrive by the millions in areas of the southeast including my native Tennessee. If you run outside, like I do, you might need a facemask or else you'll probably get pelted with these things like they're raindrops.
I don't like running on the treadmill, but if I have to swat a bug every other step or constantly hear the annoying crunch of dead bugs under my feet, then treadmill it is. I hope it ain't that bad, but if memory serves me correctly, in a few days running outside won't be nearly as enjoyable as it had been.

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Their buzzing annoys me.....
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Oh thank goodness they are not expected in Florida. I grew up in Cincinnati and I remember the 17-year cicadas that came in one year. It was so awful!
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    They took over Maryland a few years ago and it was unbelieveable!! I was not a runner then, but you can be sure when they come out again I'll be on the treadmill!!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Run indoors because of a few harmless bugs???
    The incessant droning might actually be soothing while you run. We got swarmed with them several years back, I didn't curb any of my outdoor pursuits.
  • thegirl68
    thegirl68 Posts: 28 Member
    I was at an outdoor yoga class last summer and one flew up and smacked me in the face...not feeling so zen after that!
This discussion has been closed.