Do I really need to go to a running store and get proper run

Options

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Right now I am walking and doing an interval walk/jog program on the treadmill. I would NOT say I am running...at most it is a jog. It is a hard jog for me (and probably a light jog for everyone else), but mainly quick walking. What do you all say about that, in regards to getting "running shoes"?

Jog is a funny word to me- I don't know how to define it. If both feet are on the ground at the same time, you are walking, if not, you are running. Jogging just doesn't make sense to me....but on to the topic at hand... I think that running shoes are a good idea for anyone who is running. You are getting the impact on your feet/joints/bones even if it is mixed in with intervals of walking. I would say it's sound investment, especially if you aim to do more running in the future (or jogging).
  • artvandalay
    artvandalay Posts: 71
    Options
    absolutely.
    it's a one time deal. they'll assess your running and determine what type of running shoe you need (neutral, stability for pronators, motion control for flat feet, etc)
    once you know your foot/shoe type you can shop online and in any of the cheaper stores.

good luck!

So here's my question.. can you search for shoes online that are specific for pronators/flat feet... etc. I mean, if they tell me I am a pronator, how do I go about finding which shoes online would fit that bill?

I will probably head to Fleet Feet this morning and see what they tell me.
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think it would be a good investment - I'm off to get a gait analysis done so that I can make sure I'm in the right shoe.
    But I agree you don't have to buy from the store - I can usually get them online cheaper & I always look for the 'old' model which is really usually not the up to date colour for the year.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    TrainerRobin gave great advice - follow it.

Oh. and Vandalay Industries lives on forever!
  • voom1396
    voom1396 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Okay...I forgot to quote the other post and I don't know how to go back and do it...I also think the word "jog" is funny. Someone once told me that if it offends you when someone calls you a "jogger", you are a "runner". If the word "jog" bothers you, you don't "jog", you "run".

That's off topic of the original post, but I wanted to share!

Anyhow, as everyone has said, get fitted in the right shoe. I also dealt with plantar fasciitis. They were also able to recommend an insert for me to run in that really helped.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted! Pronation, (under or over) can lead to so many problems. Seriously, the list is long. 3 or 4 miles is plenty of distance for a problem to pop up. If you are running 3 times a week that's 9-12 miles! PF is painful enough! If something else happens you are just going to be sidelined further and because you are on MFP, I'm guessing you don't want to be waiting around forever for results. Plus, when you have and injury it's easy to let your goal slide and get distracted. You do not HAVE to buy from the fancy shoe store, but you should have your gait analyzed by someone who knows about running and shoes. Set a budget and give yourself this gift. I have seen all the same shoes they sell at the running stores on Zappo's or other online retailers, but honestly they have always been the exact same price as at my running store. If there was a difference you have to pay shipping anyway and there goes any money you might have saved.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted! Pronation, (under or over) can lead to so many problems. Seriously, the list is long. 3 or 4 miles is plenty of distance for a problem to pop up. If you are running 3 times a week that's 9-12 miles! PF is painful enough! If something else happens you are just going to be sidelined further and because you are on MFP, I'm guessing you don't want to be waiting around forever for results. Plus, when you have and injury it's easy to let your goal slide and get distracted. You do not HAVE to buy from the fancy shoe store, but you should have your gait analyzed by someone who knows about running and shoes. Set a budget and give yourself this gift. I have seen all the same shoes they sell at the running stores on Zappo's or other online retailers, but honestly they have always been the exact same price as at my running store. If there was a difference you have to pay shipping anyway and there goes any money you might have saved.

^^^^This. The wrong shoes can definitely lead to injuries. Think of it this way: spend an extra $50 for the right shoes rather than spending an extra $500 on co-pays, x-rays or MRIs after you hurt your feet, ankles or knees wearing the wrong shoes. The right equipment is essential in ANY sport and running is no different.
  • artvandalay
    Options
    OK guys... I am headed to Fleet Feet this morning. I will update this post and let you guys know what happened!
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I went to Fleet Feet and got shoes b/c I was having major leg cramps the second I started running and I'd have to stop tons and tons to stretch my calves. As soon as I got the shoes, they were gone!

I spent $99, but when I got home I looked all over the internet (including Zappos) and they were the same price everywhere. So, Fleet Feet spent 30 minutes with me making sure it was the right shoe, but didn't charge me a dime more than a store that would give me no customer service at all. Worth it in my book! Plus, I supported a local business.
  • artvandalay
    Options
    I went to Fleet Feet and got shoes b/c I was having major leg cramps the second I started running and I'd have to stop tons and tons to stretch my calves. As soon as I got the shoes, they were gone!

I spent $99, but when I got home I looked all over the internet (including Zappos) and they were the same price everywhere. So, Fleet Feet spent 30 minutes with me making sure it was the right shoe, but didn't charge me a dime more than a store that would give me no customer service at all. Worth it in my book! Plus, I supported a local business.

Oh good.. I agree with supporting local. How did they analyze your run? I called them and they told me we would just go outside and someone would watch me run.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with just about everyone else--go get professionally fitted. Buy your first pair of running shoes at that store, as they will allow you to return/exchange the shoes if they aren't working for you and try again.

Once you know what shoes you need, it's usually cheaper to buy them on the internet or at race expos. Shoe manufacturers change out their inventory every 6 months (around March and September) and usually only change the color of the shoes. As soon as the new colors hit the market, last season's colors will be 30-40% off!

As good quality shoes are somewhat pricey, take good care of them. They are your RUNNING shoes, not your knock-around weekend sneakers. Only wear them for running so you get full life out of them. Loosen up the laces and pull the tongue up after using to allow them to dry out before you use them for your next run. Keep a log of miles put on the shoes, as they're only good for 300-500 miles (heavier runners will kill shoes faster, and running on concrete also kills them faster).
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    They will look at your foot, watch you walk, and watch you run - either outside or on a treadmill. They are very thorough!

Also, if you DO decide to buy your shoes online for some reason, (like at Zappos.com), the shoes "specs" will be listed for you. You'll be able to see if it is a support shoe, cushion, or stability.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I run 3-5 mi 4-5 times a week. that does not include any eliptical trainer or other cardio. I use regular K swiss tubes and Reebok reezigs and have no issues. I do go through shoes a lot more though compared to when I did not run as much.
  • artvandalay
    Options
    That's great advice about asking for last year's models/colors. I really don't care what color they are.
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Right now I am walking and doing an interval walk/jog program on the treadmill. I would NOT say I am running...at most it is a jog. It is a hard jog for me (and probably a light jog for everyone else), but mainly quick walking. What do you all say about that, in regards to getting "running shoes"?

Jog is a funny word to me- I don't know how to define it. If both feet are on the ground at the same time, you are walking, if not, you are running. Jogging just doesn't make sense to me....but on to the topic at hand... I think that running shoes are a good idea for anyone who is running. You are getting the impact on your feet/joints/bones even if it is mixed in with intervals of walking. I would say it's sound investment, especially if you aim to do more running in the future (or jogging).

Ok, you are probably right. I guess jogging is really just slow running. Running shoes it is!
  • scmduplessis
    Options
    I've gotten shoes at Kohl's and other places to save money and if I combined the amount of money I spent on "less expensive" shoes frequently, I'd have the money for one pair of quality shoes that will last longer.

I don't run. I walk a lot. Still, I went to Luke's Locker in Austin, TX where they measured my foot, watched how I walk, had me try on different shoes while they watched me walk in those, and kept going until I found a pair that felt right. I tried on four pairs of shoes and bought the third pair I tried on for $99.00.

My feet are happy. They are supported yet very comfortable.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with my knees, but I do have plantar fasciatis... and I think I might have had a calf strain last week, I looked it up and it said the calf strain could be from over pronation while running. I definitely need good cushioning in my heel because the PF kills me otherwise.
    You should not be landing on your heel. That simply transmits the impact shock through the bones into the knee. It doesn't matter what kind of shoe you get: if your stride lands on your heel with each step you are going to have pains.

You should be landing with your foot directly under your body and slightly pronated on the mid to forefoot. The foot should roll slightly inward until the heel touches the ground lightly. At that point your foot should lift for the next step.

With a proper footstrike and stride, cushioning is unnecessary.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with my knees, but I do have plantar fasciatis... and I think I might have had a calf strain last week, I looked it up and it said the calf strain could be from over pronation while running. I definitely need good cushioning in my heel because the PF kills me otherwise.
    You should not be landing on your heel. That simply transmits the impact shock through the bones into the knee. It doesn't matter what kind of shoe you get: if your stride lands on your heel with each step you are going to have pains.

You should be landing with your foot directly under your body and slightly pronated on the mid to forefoot. The foot should roll slightly inward until the heel touches the ground lightly. At that point your foot should lift for the next step.

While it's true in general that improving your footstrike often improves running related injuries, people with high, rigid arches tend to need more cushioing because the arch doesn't collapse at all on foot strike or it supinates (rolls outward) instead. Most people pronate to some degree though, yes.
  • artvandalay
    Options

Thank you for this info. We have hardwood floors, and the past 5 years I have always walked around barefoot or just socks. I think this has caused my PF. I have to wear good shoes now around the house otherwise first thing in the morning the heel of my right foot is really painful. If I'm good about wearing shoes around the house, my PF doesn't bother me. I wasn't sure how PF affects running, though. I have no idea how my foot lands when I run.... hopefully later this morning after I visit Fleet Feet I will leave with more information on my gait and footing.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'd say spend the money.

First it will be better for you joints, knees and ankles to start but also lower back and hips.

Second, once you spend the money you're more likely to try to get your moneys worth and use them more.

Win win.