What do you do when your sick??

Options
My whole family has come down with a virus. It is like a super cold or something. My two year old has barely slept in 2 days. My husband has been a big help, but he is getting it now and he has to go back to work tomorrow. My question is, What do you eat when you are sick and how do you exercise when you feel so bad?? I had a really bad day yesterday and ate anything I wanted because I felt that I deserved it because I was sick, but I will probably be sick for a week and I don't want to gain back the weight that I had lost. Any guidance or support would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I would say let your body rest and get better because you don't want to end up feeling worse. Hope you feel better soon! (((hugs)))
  • sushilicious
    Options
    I'm sick, I sleep.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I eat very little and don't exercise, sleep a lot as well
  • ashkaps
    ashkaps Posts: 32
    Options
    To be honest you should forget about exercising when you're ill. Most important thing should be your health so get better first. Hope you feel well soon.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about exercising, you don't want to tax your body too much. They say that as long as it's in the head and not in the chest or you're not running any fevers, you can stay active but I always feel way more run down if I try to exercise on top of feeling sick. You could always try taking a brief walk if you feel like you do want to do something - up to you.

As far as eating goes, I know comfort food is really tempting right now but this is the prime opportunity for you to kick that habit!! Work on eating better for the rest of the week...especially get your fresh fruits and veggies. And who knows, with all those good nutrients, maybe you'll get better faster!
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You rest and eat sensibly, whatever your stomach can handle. Feel better!:flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do give your body plenty of rest and limit or skip the exercise for now. Do not give in to unhealthy comfort food. A nice warm bowl of healthy soup might be just what your body needs.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Make sure to drink plenty of fluids and rest your body. You can still eat right and lose the weight :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Sick, neck up: hit the gym.

Sick, neck down: stay home.

Also sanatize like crazy if you do go to the gym!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Eat light, drink lots of water, keep exercise to a minimum (if you do any, make sure it's not too rigorous), sleep/rest as much as you can, and DON'T stress about not working out a lot! I hope you feel better soon--your body will appreciate as much rest as you can provide. :flowerforyou:
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My hubby makes home made chicken soup when any one of us is sick. It really does work for some reason!!!! I eat when I feel like it, drink lots of fluids and exercise only if I feel up to it. If I am really sick, I don't exercise and jsut get loads of rest.
    When I am better, I sanitize with Lysol spray, Oust spray, and a bleach water mixture. I do everything, hard surfaces, fabric surfaces, rugs, toys, telephones, anything we touched, I just spray everywhere adn open all the windows I can to get the fresh air in. Hope you all feel better soon!!!!
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am sick right now too with this bad cold, yesterday I made myself go to the gym and sweat it out, it helped ALOT!!! I also eat a ton of veggies and fruit, drink lot's of water
  • ncwmark
    ncwmark Posts: 40
    Options
    Exercising while sick could end up prolonging the illness. I think eating healthy is still a great idea as it will help the body fight the illness, but you might want to think about eating all the way up to your maintenance level too.
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Normal "sick" foods aren't going to make you gain weight (broth soups; lots of liquids; saltine crackers) and you shouldn't exercise. When you're sick, your body needs rest to repair itself. Take care of yourself and your family, and when you're feeling better, get back to your normal exercise routine. No one is overweight because they didn't workout when they had the flu. :)

(hope you and your family feel better soon!)
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just came home from taking the kids 2 and 4 to the doctor. It looks like it is a virus closely related to Mono :( I went to the grocery store afterwards and bought veggies, broth, hummus and some healthy frozen stuff so I don't have to cook every meal. Dr said we should feel better in about a week.... I will sleep when they sleep, but so far that is few and far between. nighty, night...
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick, fitness goes on the back burner.

I do eat when I can keep it down (I suck on peppermint or ginger candies when I can't).
    I do try to eat healthy foods.
    I do try to drink as much water as I can.

I don't log calories.
    I don't exercise.
    I don't worry about it if all I want to eat is grilled cheese sandwiches and chicken noodle soup. :smile:

Hope you and your family get better quickly.