GET FOCUSED IN MAY Challenge - 5/10 Mini Challenge

Options
As Director of Communications for the Lee for President campaign, I am tasked the duty of all communications going out to all participants in the GET FOCUSED IN MAY challenge.

Yesterday, we all received a day off in honor of Mother's Day but today, it's back to work. So, after receiving Lee's seal of approval, I am hereby announcing the mini challenge for today.

Post a reply to this thread with either a link, or make a comment, introducing an idea or technique about something you have tried that has working for you in your weight loss journey (i.e. an ingredient you use in your low-fat recipes, a new recipe you learned, a particular workout, or something you read about weight loss, or made some sort of change to your lifestyle). The purplose of this challenge is to share something that you have found has been helpful to you and your weight loss journey so that others, especially those who find themselves in a rut, may want to try and see if your idea will work for them.

Thank you for your time and for supporting others.

Very truly yours,

~*.*~♥Violette♥4Ever♥~*.*~

(This message has been brought to you by the LEE FOR PRESIDENT campaign)

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    After years and I mean years.......of skipping out on breakfast............. this has been the single biggest thing i have changed. Since starting on MFP i have not missed Breakfast once. I dont pick at food until lunch time and dont pull over at services to stuff my face with sweets, chocolate etc etc.

I eat eggs, every day for Breakfast. at least three. I really think this has been the biggest thing i have changed and has worked for me

Lee
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Oooh, this is great, I'm looking forward to everyone's great insights. I'm just off to bed but will sleep on it and post in the morning.
    G'noght all :)
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    ♥Violette♥4Ever♥ Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once every 4 weeks...I have found that seeing a lost of 5 to 10 pounds gets me through my weight loss journey easier than .4 lb or 1 lb because I am a very impatient person and would get very frustrated watching myself lose pound by pound by pound and would most likely give up. The best part of weighing yourself once a month...I never know if I gain weight...I never see a gain!!!
  • Katrob9
    Katrob9 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Mixing up exercise works wonders for me. I try lots of different types of exercise and mix in cardio, strength and muscle stretching to get a real overall workout. :)
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    Options
    Planned snacks..... I pre-prepare snacks so that I always have something on hand when I have a little "snack attack' and that I can throw in a bag and take with me if I'm on the run for me and my two boys.... almonds, fruit, pre cut up veggies in the fridge ready to go..... this has really helped me from "mind-less" snacking !!
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Pre-planning my meals. On Sunday...most weeks...I make my meals for the week....so I know what I am having for lunch...saving me money and calories. Each night a pre-plan my diary for the next day...pre-packing my snacks...this helps...and I always always have a small low cal snack hidden away for an IN CASE moment.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Logging my calories...the good, the bad, and the ugly has really made a difference. I came to MFP because I realized that I was a grazer and I didn't care what I ate. After a few days of, "That has HOW MANY calories??" and "I ate WHAT?" I started paying closer attention to what I put in my body. Also, it's helped me be more aware of how many calories everything is. I find myself thinking, "Okay, I have X calories left for the day...I could have 2 Oreos for 140 calories or I could have a...(insert something with less cals but still tasty and filling.) It's really changed the way I eat. :happy:
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    Another thing I do is fill out my diary completely...all meals and snacks...for the day. On exercise days, I go over on my calories so that I am forced to exercise and on rest days, I keep it to my calorie limit. In the 160 days that I have been doing this, I have found this helps me stick to my eating plan and I find that I don't cheat...EVER...this includes on Holidays. I have also found that going over on calories on exercise days really does wonders for kicking yourself in the @$$ about going to the gym...I know if I don't go then I've gone over on cals for that day which could affect my weigh-in negatively....Now I'd say that's great motivation to go to the gym...especially on those days you are feeling really iffy about it.
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    Options
    Silly but here's another one from me.... I found drinking my water from a straw helps too.... I can manage to drink 15-18 cups a day easily.... and my workout bottle has a straw like neck on it as well.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I know this won't be popular, but I DRASTICALLY cut back on my drinking. I still have my cocktails when I feel like it, but now I'm very mindful of how many calories each one of those delicious, mouthwatering, icy beverages have. :drinker:
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The food pyramid (silly I know) but I have been focusing on getting enough raw fruits and vegetables each day. I try to add either a fruit or a veggie to each meal and snack. My next goal is to get enough whole grains into my diet each day and to continue to eliminate processed foods from my diet and pantry.

Since starting MFP I have really focused on portion control (and I was seriously out of control prior to logging it all) and staying within a serving size.

I have also significantly stopped going out to eat since starting MFP....I was shocked to see how much sodium there is in food prepared food and food at restaurants (though I do miss my Mexican food).

C25K program.....this program really helped to jump start my exercise program and now I am amazed at what this formally sedentary fat girl can do!!!
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Some of the things that help me are getting involved with the people here on this site. When I first started on here I did not get involved but I did fine. Then a few months later I started to loose my motivation. That is when I reached out and got involved on the boards and with other people to help keep me accountable and motivated.

Second I purchased an EZ freeze stayfit bowl. I got this at Hannifords. It is a big bowl for salad with an insert that you freeze. So you put your salad in the bowl than the insert on top of that. The insert has three section for other items to put into you salad when you mix it along with a small container for the dressing. Then the top clips on. I have found I am more able to make my lunch each day when it is easy to do it and keep cold. I put this into my lunch bag with a snack and everything stays cold.

Third I have also found that I measure everything now. Before I guessed at how much I was eating. I was actually not eating enough. I was not very good at portion control. I was always thinking it was heavier than it was. I have several measuring cups, spoons and a food scale that I use religiously. I do not use a large plate for food, I use a desert plate or a small bowl so the food does not look lost or that you feel you are not getting enough.

Number One thing for me is Patients: You have to be patient with the journey. Weight does not come off overnight; it takes time. Always remember you can do it and do not let little set backs deter you from the bigger goal. Just because you fell off the wagon for one day it does not ruin all the work you have put in over the past days or months. Be Patient and you will get there.
  • pammiegirl1117
    pammiegirl1117 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've increase my protein intake to 90g a day vs the recommended amount of 45g. I also went cold turkey on all carbinated beverages including carbonated water. Carbonation stretches your stomach which allows you to ingest more food over time.
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    Holy cow! I need to get a notebook and start taking notes!!! This makes me happy!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Silly but here's another one from me.... I found drinking my water from a straw helps too.... I can manage to drink 15-18 cups a day easily.... and my workout bottle has a straw like neck on it as well.

this is why we are TBBB cos I do the same thing everyone looks at me like a nutjob but it sooo works!!!
  • BeautifulArtemis
    BeautifulArtemis Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I've found that doing strength training (fast training) for about twenty five minutes before cardio for about forty five minutes helps to burn fat and calories along with building my muscles. I do this six days a week. Most studies say to do cardio 1st but it just doesn't work for me. I also take two 15 minutes walks everyday while at work to release some stress. :)
  • BeautifulArtemis
    Options
    No carbonated drinks here either :)
  • BeautifulArtemis
    Options
    I also drink around 120 oz of water a day...Forget to mention that!