Calorie burn during strengthening exercises?

Options
lgubbels
lgubbels Posts: 27 Member
I have been trying to work in an abdominal routine along with my regular cardio routine. I use Turbo Jam workout videos, and their 20-minute Ab Jam is incredible! My question is, are there calories burned during these types of exercises? I would assume you would burn some, especially working 1 muscle group for that amount of time, although I wouldn't expect it to be much. Maybe I'm wrong? Can someone please help me? Thanks!

Replies

• SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I have Turbo Jam. I also religiously use my HRM when I am doing my workouts. In 18 minutes, I burned about 160 calories for the Ab Workout. Keep in mind, by doing strength training, your burn rate in calories rises for HOURS after because your muscles are still burning fat. So the smallest amount of strengthening will be a bigger help than you will realize.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    While on the topic, the Turbo Sculpt gives both a GREAT burn as well as working your other muscles as well. I highly recommend. I like it because while its slower in pace than Cardio Dance Party it gives great results. I wish I would have done burn before and after pictures, because using just 2 pound weights had already helped tone.
  • lgubbels
    lgubbels Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I have a really hard time getting a workout of any kind in, and 20 minutes is almost "pushing the envelope." I do really like Turbo Sculpt but have only been able to do it a handful of times. I will see what I can do to work in more though, especially since the kids' school activities are coming to an end. It's encouraging to see that it really does burn calories! :) Do you add that to your exercise diary on here? If so, how do you do it?