Eating a late dinner after workout?

Options
I work retail and have a schedule that bounces around everyday. I find it easier to workout after work, but sometimes that means i am done around 10:30 pm and i'm starving for dinner. Is it too late for me to be eating dinner at this time and then going to bed?
I usually keep my post workout meal quite small but lots of protein...Any opinions on this?

Replies

• young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. You need to refuel your body after a workout. Stay within your calories and I am sure you will do fine. I don't think the timing that you eat is as big of a deal as people make it.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Yeah I think you've got the right idea of small and lots of protein :)

My fiance (he lost 130# right before I met him) always said "don't eat a lot if it's late. If you do eat, make sure you have mostly protein for recovery"

imo if you don't eat much at night, make sure you have a good breakfast.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I generally always eat dinner within two hours of going to bed because of my work schedule and it works fine for me, everyone's different...
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I was the same way when I had classes till late in the evenings plus my 9-5. I still ate dinner, but I made them very simple meals. Fish/Chicken, brown rice, grilled veggies. The whole thing only took about 30 minutes and it was still good for me.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I think you're OK. I do the same thing sometimes
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I assume you have some sort of dinner break @ work? I would eat your normal meal...or whatever will sit well with you when you go to work out. Then opt for some sort of protein smoothie after your workout. I don't sleep well at all if I eat anything heavy after 8pm.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    YEP.....I agree with everyone here. I'm in the same boat and end up eating dinner late. I just try not to eat too many carbs late at night. Lots of lean protein and a salad are my norms for a late meal.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    As long as you keep it high protein and low carb you should be fine. :) Your body likes a good dose of protein before bed anyhow!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I don't think so. You need to refuel your body after a workout. Stay within your calories and I am sure you will do fine. I don't think the timing that you eat is as big of a deal as people make it.

I agree.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I generally always eat dinner within two hours of going to bed because of my work schedule and it works fine for me, everyone's different...

same here
  • Blr31977
    Blr31977 Posts: 49
    Options
    Eat a big late lunch and a small dinner..
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    I was told by my friend who is a personal trainer and intructor that it is a myth you shouldnt eat after a certain time!!She says aslong as its not right before bed then its fine!!!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

We eat late in my house EVERY night. I take classes at the gym where I prep dinner beforehand, and cook when I get home at 7:45pm. We typically eat at 8:30/9pm and go to bed at 11.

My husband is thin, and my weight gain is from traveling for work (so that's how I know that eating late works for us weight wise). My husband also eats breakfast and lunch at work. Think of it this way, in Europe they always eat dinner late. Last night at my gym a gym friend (from Italy) told me "you guys eat like Europeans!" I'm proud to say, yes. Yes we do.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    As long as you're within your calorie goal...go for it.
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    YEP.....I agree with everyone here. I'm in the same boat and end up eating dinner late. I just try not to eat too many carbs late at night. Lots of lean protein and a salad are my norms for a late meal.

ditto
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I was told by my friend who is a personal trainer and intructor that it is a myth you shouldnt eat after a certain time!!She says aslong as its not right before bed then its fine!!!

I agree....my current nutritionist and my last nutritionist all said the same thing and I hve never had negative effects from eating late or before bed...just make wise choices!