Considering Jenny Craig..

Options
I've stopped going to the gym recently because it just doesn't seem like its doing anything for me, and quite honestly gets boring doing same things everyday.
I'm thinking of starting the Jenny Craig Program.. Anyone have any input on the program? Does it work or no?

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    It's pre-packaged meals so the "work" of counting your calories yourself is done for you so if you stick to it you will lose weight but in addition to it being 2-3x higher than your average monthly grocery bill, it's hard to transition to "normal-food" since portion control isn't a focus of this program. There is also a concern with the sodium levels and taste of the processed food involved.

Weight loss is 80% nutrition, 20% exercise. Although I wouldn’t tell you to stop the gym entirely b/c it’s good for your heart, put your energy at least for now into self-control and portion servings and become a self-expert at your own nutrition and as you slowly start losing the weight, then you’ll want to exercise more to lose it faster.
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I did it and loved it while I was on it. As soon as I had to quit for financial reasons I gained the weight back IMMEDIATELY(I’m talking 45lbs in a couple of months).

It doesn't teach you how to eat properly, which I think is the purpose of any good diet, it's not like you can eat their food forever.
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I JUST saw a news report that Jenny Craig was rated the best "diet" out of the major ones.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I would try this first for a while. Jenny Craig is a great program but this is free. Just give it your all and time, before you committ. Make new friends, eat better,healthier and exercise.... Feel free to add me
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I would try this first for a while. Jenny Craig is a great program but this is free. Just give it your all and time, before you committ. Make new friends, eat better,healthier and exercise.... Feel free to add me
  • dfunk06
    dfunk06 Posts: 56
    Options
    Jenny Craig can be awesome for weight loss. But there are a few cons. Obviously its quite pricey. But more importantly, it doesn't really teach you how to prepare and select healthy food. It doesn't give you recipes and such so that you can make the same types of meals on your own, It doesn't really teach helthy eating habits and skills. Sorry :/

Have you tried going to the gym with friends or family? THis is often a fun motivator for me :)
  • dfunk06
    dfunk06 Posts: 56
    Options
    Jenny Craig can be awesome for weight loss. But there are a few cons. Obviously its quite pricey. But more importantly, it doesn't really teach you how to prepare and select healthy food. It doesn't give you recipes and such so that you can make the same types of meals on your own, It doesn't really teach helthy eating habits and skills. Sorry :/

Have you tried going to the gym with friends or family? THis is often a fun motivator for me :)
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    I have tried Nutrisystem (which is similar in the prepackaged foods), and I just got bored of it. Fast. I personally enjoy the freedom of picking out my own foods. If you think it is something that would benefit you though, go for it! There is certainly nothing wrong with it :)
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Hi. I can understand how the gym can get boring, this is why you shouldn't do the same thing every day, switch it up & set challenges. That really helped me.
    I think Jenny Craig is a good idea in theory BUT once you stop eating those foods you're back to the way you ate before b/c nothing is pre-packaged the way those meals are. Changing you diet all together to make smarter choices will help you better in the long run. The celebrities that do the Jenny Craig diet are still on the diet even after the lost all the weight they wanted just to maintain it. I don't know about you but i would not wanna be on Jenny Craig for the rest of my life... lol. That stuff is expensive
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    In my opinion...it's just more processed psuedo-foods. It's so much healthier, and CHEAPER, to just eat healthy...fruits, veggies and lean meats. And like the others have said...it's only "good" for the time you do it. It's not really conducive of a lifelong change...
  • shalbert
    shalbert Posts: 4
    Options
    Myfitnesspal does the same thing but for free. They teach you portion control and track what you eat. Everything is already packaged but very expensive. I tried it but then got hooked on this. Both will work though if followed correctly.
  • mmulheren
    mmulheren Posts: 17
    Options
    I dont have to worry about paying for program, my mom is going to pay for 1 month's worth b/c that's all i need. I'm just trying to get the last of the baby weight off from my first son. I wont be on the program for rest of my life.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I dont have to worry about paying for program, my mom is going to pay for 1 month's worth b/c that's all i need. I'm just trying to get the last of the baby weight off from my first son. I wont be on the program for rest of my life.

So what, if you don't mind me asking, are you gonna do IF after the month is over and then a few weeks later you have the pounds back on? I can tel you that is more than likely gonna happen. This is why DIETS fail. People go back to their regular eating habits, they didn't change anything. So they put the pounds back on.
    Not judging here, i just don't think it's worth your Mother's money if you can just LEARN how to eat better and drop the pounds in the process AND keep them off. No money wasted but things learned
  • secondsnooze
    Options
    My diet has been Jenny Craig since Jan and i have lost 40 lbs. I am officially sick of the food but at the 1/2 way point which I hope to be at in a few weeks, I will be transitioned to "real" food and learn to eat for life. I have been doing it a lot anyway, I have learned with the help of fitnss pal to eat 60% JC and the rest real food. I eat lots of salad, grilled fish and chicken, "jared" type Subway sandwiches, soups, just always record it on Fitness pal and stick to my 1200 cal (except for a few wild weeks). I also stopped drinking alcohol, not really that big a deal for me, even though some may find it more of a sacrifice. So yes, Jenny Craig works and works well but you will tire of the food if you have a LOT to lose!