Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Paying homage to....

TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Whoever it was that created the peanut butter and jelly sandwich! I mean, is there anything quite as comforting?? MMM! Even done a healthier way with lite bread, natural peanut butter and low sugar jelly, it still hits the spot!!

Below....a little history for you!!! :wink: :laugh: Looks like it might be yet another reason to honor and thank your military!!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou: I know, I know! I'm strange! *SHRUG!* :indifferent:

According to Smuckers, no one really knows when or where this sandwich was first created. Bread and jelly have been around for millennia, but peanut butter wasn't invented until 1890. This spreadable creation was a hit at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis, and during the 1920s and 1930s, commercial brands of peanut butter such as Peter Pan and Skippy were introduced. Around the same time, pre-sliced bread became common in the U.S. But there's no mention of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before the 1940s.

Food historians know that both peanut butter and jelly were part of the U.S. military's rations during World War II. This lead to the speculation that American GIs may have added jelly to the peanut butter to make it easier to eat. A few sources claim that the peanut butter and jelly sandwich itself was on military ration lists.

Food rationing on the homefront may have contributed to the combination's popularity. Meat and butter were scarce and expensive in the U.S. during WWII. Peanut butter was a cheap, readily available source of protein. No matter how it started, the PB&J was a big hit in postwar America and has been ever since.

We suspect that the sandwich is popular with children because of that salty-sweet flavor, and early on, parents may have appreciated how fast, simple, and inexpensive it was to make. The National Peanut Board reports that the average kid eats 1,500 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before she or he graduates high school. Then there was Elvis Presley, who may have eaten that many fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches. We'll stick with jelly, thanks.

peanut-butter-jelly-spreader-2.jpg

Replies

• TamTastic
    Whoever it was that created the peanut butter and jelly sandwich! I mean, is there anything quite as comforting?? MMM! Even done a healthier way with lite bread, natural peanut butter and low sugar jelly, it still hits the spot!!

Below....a little history for you!!! :wink: :laugh: Looks like it might be yet another reason to honor and thank your military!!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou: I know, I know! I'm strange! *SHRUG!* :indifferent:

According to Smuckers, no one really knows when or where this sandwich was first created. Bread and jelly have been around for millennia, but peanut butter wasn't invented until 1890. This spreadable creation was a hit at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis, and during the 1920s and 1930s, commercial brands of peanut butter such as Peter Pan and Skippy were introduced. Around the same time, pre-sliced bread became common in the U.S. But there's no mention of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before the 1940s.

Food historians know that both peanut butter and jelly were part of the U.S. military's rations during World War II. This lead to the speculation that American GIs may have added jelly to the peanut butter to make it easier to eat. A few sources claim that the peanut butter and jelly sandwich itself was on military ration lists.

Food rationing on the homefront may have contributed to the combination's popularity. Meat and butter were scarce and expensive in the U.S. during WWII. Peanut butter was a cheap, readily available source of protein. No matter how it started, the PB&J was a big hit in postwar America and has been ever since.

We suspect that the sandwich is popular with children because of that salty-sweet flavor, and early on, parents may have appreciated how fast, simple, and inexpensive it was to make. The National Peanut Board reports that the average kid eats 1,500 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before she or he graduates high school. Then there was Elvis Presley, who may have eaten that many fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches. We'll stick with jelly, thanks.

peanut-butter-jelly-spreader-2.jpg
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Wow, a true history buff are you!!! :bigsmile:

Have you ever tried an MRE??? Ick! I don't miss those at all!
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Now I want one! LOL. My mom used to put the Jet Puff Marshmellow Cream on mine too.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member

This is an absolutely true statement, but PB is my biggest trigger food, so I can't have it in the house.

Sigh!
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    mmmmm pb &j ... who could ask for more?
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member

What is an MRE? Am I dumb?
  • Peanut Butter's a big trigger food for me, too. But I found a great alternative. PB2 - it's powdered peanut butter that's made in a way the "presses" most of the fat out. I was skeptical but now I'm addicted to it. Two tablespoons of PB2 has less than 60 calories and under 2 grams of fat. The nutritional info is at the company's website - www.bellplantion.com. It's nice to be able to satisfy my peanut butter craving and have a truly healthy (and fun) peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Meals Ready to Eat! And I highly suggest that you try one at least once in your life time! You can find them all over now, at sporting good stores and military surplus stores.

I think most of them are around 3000 calories and it doesn't take long for you to get bored of eating them. They have come a long way since I was in and there are even vegetarian ones now.
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570

Meals Ready to Eat. Military ration of food comes in one pouch and lasts a long time.
  • TamTastic

Yep, I am the grandaugther of two former Lt. Cols in the Army! One would bring home rations all the time and my brother and I would camp out in the backyard and use them for our food!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • soup78

No, not at all. I didn't specify.

The Meal, Ready-to-Eat (MRE) is a self-contained, individual field ration in lightweight packaging procured by the United States military for its service-members for use in combat or other field conditions where organized food facilities are not available. The MRE replaced the canned Meal, Combat, Individual rations in 1981 and was the successor to the LRRP ration developed by the U.S. Army for Special Forces and U.S. Army Ranger patrol units in Vietnam.
    Each meal provides approximately 1,200 calories (1,200 kcal or 5,000 kJ). They are intended to be eaten for a maximum of twenty-one days (assuming that logistical units can provide superior rations within that timeframe), and have a shelf life of three years (depending on storage conditions).

Packaging requirements are strict. MREs must be capable of withstanding parachute drops from 380 m (1,250 ft), and non-parachute drops of 30 m (100 ft). The packaging is required to maintain a minimum shelf life of three and a half years at 27 °C (80 °F) or nine months at 38 °C (100 °F); additionally, short-term temperature extremes of -51 °C (-60 °F) to 49 °C (120 °F) must be sustainable. New forms of packaging are being considered to better meet these requirements including the use of zein to replace the foil, which can be easily punctured, conducts heat, and reflectivity (which may give away a servicemember's position).
    General contents may include:

main course (entree)
    side dish
    dessert or snack (often a commercial candy or a fortified pastry)
    crackers or bread
    spread of cheese, peanut butter, or jelly
    powdered beverage mix: juice, cocoa, coffee or tea, sport drink, or dairy shake.
    Utensils (usually just a plastic spoon)
    flameless ration heater (FRH)
    Accessory pack:
    chewing gum
    water-resistant matches
    napkin / toilet paper
    moist towelette
    seasonings, including salt, pepper, sugar, creamer, and/or Tabasco sauce
    Each menu varies the contents. Many servicemembers develop a taste for certain items, and trading amongst troops for favored items is common, as well as the mixing and heating of ingredients to create new meals. For example, "Ranger Pudding" consists of cocoa and the non-dairy creamer mixed with small amount of water.

They still "serve" these fabulous meals to our military. It's been 10 years since I've had one, and I hope they're getting better!
  • soup78

Yep, I am the grandaugther of two former Lt. Cols in the Army! One would bring home rations all the time and my brother and I would camp out in the backyard and use them for our food!! :laugh: :laugh:

I'm sure you've heard a lot of interesting stories! Makes you proud to be an American! :bigsmile:

I bet you wouldn't want one now though, huh?! :laugh:
  • TamTastic

I'm sure you've heard a lot of interesting stories! Makes you proud to be an American! :bigsmile:

I bet you wouldn't want one now though, huh?! :laugh:
    I am definitely proud of them! One was older and fought in the Battle of the Bulge in WW2 and the other was in Vietnam. My gramps!!! :)

Don't think I would care for them now. It was fun when I was little!! Like an adventure! LOL!
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    I eat peanut butter and jelly EVERY day. I've been trying to cut down, but I need them (in an emotionally attached to the pleasure they give my tongue sorta way).

I had my lunch planned for the day. Some nice healthy stir-fry, but as I made my sons sandwich I just couldn't help myself! I ate it and maybe I'll be good and eat the stir fry for dinner.

Peanut butter= happy sigh
  • TamTastic
    I make mine for 205 cals! And worth every cal! People forget that peanut butter will keep you satisfied on just a little bit! :)

2 slices Pepperidge Farm Light Whole Wheat - 90 cals
    1 tbsp Skippy natural PB - 90 cals
    1 tbsp Smuckers low-sugar strawberry jam - 25 cals
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    it was me,

I invented the pb&j.
    I went all the way back in time, and wowed our early ancestors.
    The world will never be the same!
    Im so great.:glasses:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Ahhhh the truly sensual delight of a PB&J.... mmmmmmmmmmm Almost better than sex... almost. Sometimes can be used as an aphrodisiac too..... :laugh:
  • TamTastic
    it was me,

I invented the pb&j.
    I went all the way back in time, and wowed our early ancestors.
    The world will never be the same!
    Im so great.:glasses:

And...ummmmm....who let you out of the pit long enough to accomplish such an amazing thing????? Aliiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's escaped!!!!!! :angry:
  • soup78
    Ahhhh the truly sensual delight of a PB&J.... mmmmmmmmmmm Almost better than sex... almost. Sometimes can be used as an aphrodisiac too..... :laugh:

Maybe almost..........NO WAY! :smokin:

But can be used to incorporate protein after a vigorous workout! lol :devil:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member

Maybe almost..........NO WAY! :smokin:

But can be used to incorporate protein after a vigorous workout! lol :devil:

Oh soup, you haven't lived until you make P&J (forget the bread) a part of your repertoire in bed *giggle* 'sides it gives you another reason for the vinyl sheets *giggle* :huh: :devil: :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.