Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Blessed by the people I work with.... I just wanted to shar

lucycaz
lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
I just wanted to share with you all something that happened at work today...

Firstly I should explain the back ground, I am a Clinical manager in a small Mental Health Hospital, and have a fantastic team that work for me. It is a tough stressful job and we all look after each other although often I feel spoilt, coffee always on my desk in the morning, chef bringing my lunch to my office if I get too busy and forget to go down for it etc....

Having been doing this diet for a week and avoiding all the lovely rich food which always comes in gigantic portions at lunch and ordering a plain tuna sandwich instead. I decided to tell some of my team what I am doing in terms of my current diet (partially to stop them buying me chocolate) and because I know they will be supportive.

Well lunch time came and there was a knock on my door and there stood our wonderful chef with a tray of food. On today’s menu had been cottage pie and baked beans my favourite and I had had a really hard time not ordering it. She gave me the tray and on the plate was a dainty portion of cottage pie and a huge pile of freshly steamed vegetables she had also added a banana to the tray - I almost cried.......

Later my support services manager came to my office sat down and explained that she had been thinking about our conversation earlier and about my new attempts to get healthy. She had decided that I work too hard and almost never take a break at lunchtime (I have to add that she is just as bad) so from next week she has decided that we are both taking a lunch break at least twice a week and are going to go for a walk in the local park, she added that when we get fitter we may even make it a lunchtime jog.... I was so touched by her support that I almost cried again.....

Today I feel so blessed and luck to have such great people around me – I know I can do this......I know we can do this....

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    That's so awesome! Maybe your efforts to get healthy will be contagious, and more GOOD things will happen. Maybe the menu will become healthier for everyone. Maybe a larger group will go walking. etc!
  • karilynn27
    karilynn27 Posts: 190 Member
    Awesome, great story you are so very lucky to have such wonderful people around you! Its great that your co workers are supporting you!
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Great story! It's so nice to hear about when friends/coworkers start to 'get it'.
  • Allivall
    Allivall Posts: 37
    That just warmed my heart! Thanks for sharing. :) Shows how amazing people can be when you least expect it!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    That's so nice. All I ever get are donuts and McDonald's .
  • WhyW8
    WhyW8 Posts: 54 Member
    This is so great! The more people you have in your corner wanting you to succeed, the better! We started a walking club at work, we would all start out at the parking lot and then those that want to walk do that, those that want to run do that. I started out walking with the group - now over a year later I run 3 miles - 3x a week, although many of the people dropped out of the group - a few of us are still hanging in there. And people say things like "there's cake in the kitchen" - "oh not for you Melissa, you don't eat that stuff" and I'm like "that's right!" and it's so nice when people know what you are trying to do and help you rather than try and sabotage you. Work is such a large part of your day, you really need to have them on your side. Great story - thanks for sharing!
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Woot! There's nothing like feeling well loved (and you clearly are) to stoke the fires of ambition. Thank you for sharing this!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    That's awesome! I'm really blessed to have a health conscious work place too.

Especially after reading this thread...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/237067-things-people-say-that-drive-you-nuts
  • ana70
    ana70 Posts: 93
    the more support you have, the more people will motivate you. They sound like they are on board with your new lifestyle adjustment. You will get there.
  • that is awesome Lucy! It sounds like you have a great support team at work.
  • That is a truely blessed workplace. I think that is just wonderful how everyone is so supportive. What a motivator that must be for you!

Oh.....by the way......I almost cried reading your post!! :happy: