Grocery shopping....

Options
My husband and I just started this journey yesterday by joining the site. We are weeding out all the bad foods we have at home and on Friday we will be starting a healthy diet after grocery shopping. What are some helpful tips to keep in mind when you head to the grocery store??

Replies

• pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    DO NOT SHOP HUNGRY. Seriously. That is my number one tip lol I also like to get a diet coke/water/coffee to drink while I shop. It actually helps me not grab random stuff.

I also meal plan, make a list, and STICK TO IT.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    I will only buy what is on my grocery list. And I refuse to shop with a pen so I can add what I wanted to the grocery list. I also only buy what I need. If you buy on impulse it won't end happily....
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Make a list!

Spend the majority of your time in the produce section, linger there, then walk fast through the rest of the store grabbing only what's on the list. That keeps me from grabbing bad things that aren't on my list.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Somebody told me once to skip the aisles as much as possible and go for the perimeter of the store. At the perimeter you will find the fresh fruit, veggies, milk, eggs, and meat. Down the isles you find all the chips, sodas, sugar, and other processed foods.

If I go in with good intentions, I can still cave when I see bad foods that I crave. But if I stick to the perimeter, I only get the healthy items.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    all great suggestions

shopping hungry is something i do way too often.

it's also amazing how much less you spend if you fill up your cart with produce as opposed to processed foods.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    shop the periphery--skip the middle aisles. I admit, I do enter the no-man's-land when I shop, though. Maybe someday I will be able to follow the advice. I still eat too many processed things.
  • darrielirwin
    Options
    This sounds strange, but it has worked for me. After several weeks of shopping I know the prices of all the stuff I want. I get the correct amount of cash out of the bank machine, and leave my cards at home! If I only have enough to buy the good stuff, then I can't add anything else! It has not only helped my weight loss journey (my boyfriend who isn't trying to lose weight has lost), but has also helped save me and him money!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    One thing that I've heard (but don't do well because I absolutely hate cooking) is plan your menus for the week. That way you're sure to buy what you need for the week when you shop and less likely to have to stop on the way home for a quick, potentially unhealthy dinner.

My mom is AMAZING at this. When we're all home for the holidays she has her shopping list planned out (by food group!), menu for each day and each meal, etc.
  • Lizakitty
    Lizakitty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If I go in with good intentions, I can still cave when I see bad foods that I crave. But if I stick to the perimeter, I only get the healthy items.

That's what I do as well, I've found that it helps a lot :smile: Then i send my husband down the isles to get what we need to avoid temptation :blushing:
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    I have learned if you stay around the perimeter of the grocery store, ie produce, dairy, meat you will make better choices. All of the packaged overprocessed stuff is in the isles.

Edit: Guess I should have read all of the replies first...Oh well. At least there are others using my trick too, although the tea and cereal are in the isles.
  • BrianRoberts
    Options
    That is a good idea. I'm trying that.
  • Nanconet
    Nanconet Posts: 35
    Options
    Don't shop hungry....its the worst. You will buy stuff you don't need.

Create a menu with your husband for the week. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. That will also help you shop healthy as you won't be making snap decisions because you see all the tasty unhealthy stuff on sale! You will also save money that way because you won't end up running out to the store every couple of days.

Good luck:)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Buy only 1-2 dinners worth of food at a time (and stick to recipes, don't just shop on a whim). This way you will not have extra food in the house. We stock up on frozen basics (healthy stuff from Trader Joe's like fish) and pantry basics so that if you have to throw something together you can. Also, remember frozen veggies have the same nutritional value as fresh and they are cheaper.

Check out Everyday Food magazine as well (it's in the checkout area). You can search online as well and their recipes are easy and always give the nutrition value.
  • SaddyPants
    SaddyPants Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Shopping hungry was always my biggest problem when I used to shop, I definitely don't advise that! And I am all about the menu planning as well. I plan my meals for the week, make my list and then only get the things I listed. Good luck! :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    All great tips! Planning all meals ahead isn't always easy but it definitely helps! It's way too tempting to just get take-out if you're hungry and there's nothing in the fridge/cupboard!

One more tip for after shopping... If you get big bags of snacks (crackers, chips, etc), divide them up into individual serving packs right away that way no one's tempted to sit there with a whole bag and chow down.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    One thing that I've heard (but don't do well because I absolutely hate cooking) is plan your menus for the week. That way you're sure to buy what you need for the week when you shop and less likely to have to stop on the way home for a quick, potentially unhealthy dinner.

My mom is AMAZING at this. When we're all home for the holidays she has her shopping list planned out (by food group!), menu for each day and each meal, etc.

For sure plan your meals, or at least have a meal idea list. Buy the produce that is on sale, you can blanch and ffreeze any extra.
    Check different store's ads for bargains. My grocery bill increased by a lot from buying more fruit, produce and meats/proteins. I found fresh pineapples for $1.00 at one store, and $2.99 at another. Avocados: $ .79 each at one store, $1.25 each at another, etc.
    If you would like me to list some meals I have had over the past two weeks to give you some ideas, send me a message or take a look at my diary.
  • Manda1987
    Manda1987 Posts: 207
    Options
    Now, I don't know if grocery stores are organized differently here in Canada, but the "perimeter" rule isn't a golden rule.

If I were to shop the perimeter only, I'd get this:

Fruits & Veggies > Deli > Frozen convenience foods (like wings and burgers) > Cake > Bread > Dairy

Whereas by including the aisles I can have:

Produce > Fresh meat > Canned and dried beans and chickpeas > Pasta and oatmeal > Frozen veggies > Bread > Dairy

Make a reasonable meal plan ahead of time and stick to it. Have some "snacky" food so that you're not running for the nearest convenience store when you have a craving for a salty or sweet snack. I keep frozen blueberries on hand (I buy them in bulk at Costco) because they're better than ice cream. We also keep popcorn kernels around (not the microwave stuff). It's all about exercising some self-control while you're there. If you don't need pop or chips, don't go down those particular aisles.
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    All great tips! Planning all meals ahead isn't always easy but it definitely helps! It's way too tempting to just get take-out if you're hungry and there's nothing in the fridge/cupboard!

One more tip for after shopping... If you get big bags of snacks (crackers, chips, etc), divide them up into individual serving packs right away that way no one's tempted to sit there with a whole bag and chow down.
    Dividing the big bag up is a GREAT idea, don't know why I never thought of it :)