Hiking Clothes

Options
Not sure if this goes here or what... Anyhow, I need to get some hiking pants (and maybe tops) that are breathable, so not cotton. I guess wicking would be nice but I don't have a fortune to spend. The problem is that I am in a size 20 womens and I can't find anything in my size. Are there any retailers that actually sell plus sized hiking pants?

I don't find jeans uncomfortable, but more experienced hikers are telling me that they suck if you sweat and then then temperatures drop.

Replies

• shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    1) how tall are you, and 2) would you be opposed to pre-owned (used, haha) pants?

I know Columbia does sell some plus-sized clothing, however they can be pricey and probably only online.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    REI sells extended sizes - both plus and petite. Personally, I love stuff made by The North Face. I know they carry pants up to size 20 and shirts in XXL.

I have found their clothing to be well-fitted and durable.

Definitely don't wear jeans hiking! :-)
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Land's End has some nice hiking pants & shoes. :smile:
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I was up to a size 16 and Columbia was still making hiking pants that fit really well. Depends on how you're shaped though! And it was always a crapshoot trying to find them. I lived near the flagship REI and they carry a good range of sizes but their branch stores were less than great...

I'll agree they're much more comfortable but if you don't find a pair you're not missing out on that much.
  • waynep00
    waynep00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know where . . but the hiking pants with the zip off legs are great. They really help when the temp changes. You have both shorts and long pants in one pair. I use them for hiking in the summer and would not hike without them. That said, my hiking is usually all day hikes in Rocky Mountain Nat park. They are not cheap, I rinse out the one pair, hang them up, and they dry really fast.
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    ****'s usually carries the Columbia brand in their stores. If you want to order online try Zappos. They have the best customer service and shipping is free both ways.
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and I wouldn't mind pre-owned, I guess. I think I will check ebay... I would love to get the zip off convertible pants because I am in the mountains and the temps can change quickly, but they are pricey.

There is an REI an hour away, but I don't really want to drive there if they don't carry larger sizes. There is a Columbia outlet 2 hours away... They are both on the way to my mom's house where I am going in a couple weeks. So, maybe I will just swing by those two on the way down and see what they have. Blue Ridge Mountain sports doesn't carry my size and normal stores don't have the stuff I want.

I bought a pair of columbia rain pants for biking and they fit well. I just don't know if I should spend $50+ on a pair of pants that will hopefully be too big soon ! :)

Maybe MFP should set up a clothing swap forum since we are all (hopefully) shedding sizes... :)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and I wouldn't mind pre-owned, I guess. I think I will check ebay... I would love to get the zip off convertible pants because I am in the mountains and the temps can change quickly, but they are pricey.

There is an REI an hour away, but I don't really want to drive there if they don't carry larger sizes. There is a Columbia outlet 2 hours away... They are both on the way to my mom's house where I am going in a couple weeks. So, maybe I will just swing by those two on the way down and see what they have. Blue Ridge Mountain sports doesn't carry my size and normal stores don't have the stuff I want.

I bought a pair of columbia rain pants for biking and they fit well. I just don't know if I should spend $50+ on a pair of pants that will hopefully be too big soon ! :)

Maybe MFP should set up a clothing swap forum since we are all (hopefully) shedding sizes... :)

I have a pair of Columbia pants that are a 1X, which fit me when I was about a size 20, however I am a few inches shorter than you. I actually found them at a Marshalls/TJ Maxx (don't remember which, but they're the same), for $15!! If you have one of those nearby, it can't hurt to check. They were one of my favorite pairs of pants ever, I am still sad they are too big now! It's bittersweet lol
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    Thanks all.. I have bid on a pair on ebay for $15 + shipping. If I don't get those I will try Marshals/TJ Maxx.