Heart rate when exercising?

Options
taiyola
taiyola Posts: 964 Member
So for the first time with my HRM, I did some jogging on my dog walk. I did 9 minutes, and most of them were at a slowish pace I could handle, and about 3 of them I pushed myself (still not going very fast - I'm veryyy unfit >.<)

I noticed when jogging at the slower pace, my heart rate went up to just below 200, and my normal resting is 80-90ish. Is this normal for my weight and fitness level?

Height: 5'4"
Weight: 144lb

Replies

• taiyola
    Options
    I could also feel everything jiggling a lot! LOL
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    your target heart rate depends on your age...i am sure you can look it up somewhere. sorry i can't be of more help, but what you are at right now sounds pretty normal at this point.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    When jogging my heart rate goes to about 190-200 my resting is 60. I think the formula to find your target heart rate is 226-age for women, that is target not max.
  • taiyola
    Options
    So 205 is my TARGET? That seems a lottt, feels like my hearts is about to come out my chest when I do more than 2 minutes, or go much faster :laugh:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Based on your age (21), your working heart rate range during exercise should be 139-169 beats per minute, so just under 200 is probably too high. That said, people's heart rates can vary widely, so the range is just an estimate based on your age.

You can get more information on the Mayo Clinic Website: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/target-heart-rate/SM00083

As you get in better shape, your resting heart rate should go down a bit, too.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Resting heart rate is 60-80. the exercise rate varies upon age. Wikipedia gives a formula to find out your max 220-age=max heart rate.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Resting heart rate is 60-80. the exercise rate varies upon age. Wikipedia gives a formula to find out your max 220-age=max heart rate.
    So, yours would be 199.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    This site does most of the calculations for you.
    http://www.sarkproducts.com/targetzonecalculator.htm

input your resting heart rate and age.
    click calculate and it will fill the rest of the boxes for you.

For starters I think you should shoot for the aerobic or anaerobic ranges.

And stay below your max heart rate whenever possible. Remember that posture and attitude can make a huge impact on heart rate.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Being out of shape your heart rate is going to be much higher than what any formula gives you. As you start to workout more and get into better shape your heart rate will begin to drop and should be close to your healthy heart rate range.

If you start to feel any chest pain while working out since your heart rate is so high you will need to slow down and allow it to lower itself.
  • sockmontey
    sockmontey Posts: 19
    Options
    I think heart rate has more to do with fitness than weight. I still have a lot to lose, but my resting heart rate is 57 and typically get it to around 160-170 doing extreme cardio. When I first started exercising both numbers were considerably higher.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    When jogging my heart rate goes to about 190-200 my resting is 60. I think the formula to find your target heart rate is 226-age for women, that is target not max.

That is max not target target is usually between 60 and 80% of maximum. And i believe the figure is 220 minus your age. So a 25 year old max HR would be 195 and 80% of that would be 156, but you can go to your max or above but don't stay there for any length of time.
  • taiyola
    Options
    As long as I'm not dying :wink:

I'll check out those links! I get chest pains when I jog eveb slowly for 3 or minutes >.<
  • Nissa_D
    Nissa_D Posts: 7
    Options
    As long as I'm not dying :wink:

I'll check out those links! I get chest pains when I jog eveb slowly for 3 or minutes >.<

you could always try doing the couch to 5K program...it gradually works you from not being active to running a 5k is 9 weeks. It's a great program. I'm currently on week 6 and my next run will be 25 minutes long! I don't think I have ever ran for that length of time in my live, and I'm looking forward to it :happy:
    You can find the program at coolrunning.com you can also download podcasts for free from here http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options

That is max not target target is usually between 60 and 80% of maximum. And i believe the figure is 220 minus your age. So a 25 year old max HR would be 195 and 80% of that would be 156, but you can go to your max or above but don't stay there for any length of time.

I always thought 220 as well, but found on line it is 226 for women... Ok I got the two numbers mixed up, lol !!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm not expert but have been taking my heart rate my entire life while swimming... 200 for a long period of time is pretty crazy. 200 should really be the MAX, not the norm. While ranges are going to vary, a heart beating really fast is still a heart beating really fast. Not only that, but if you're heart rate is maxed out, then you're body goes into anaerobic instead of aerobic... which means its creating lactic acid and will not burn as much fat. This is why when you ask people what the best range for burning fat is, the number is typically (at least in my opinion) surprisingly low.

For the record, I'm 29, male, 195, 6'1", resting HR of 55, and typically work-out in a varying HR of 140-180. I haven't hit 200 since I was a competitive swimmer. My HR is naturally lower which is great for endurance (losing fat), but sucks for sprinting (gaining muscle). It's the difference between the person who wins gold in the marathon and the person who wins gold in the 100M dash.