Looking for types of foods to avoid.

passionately_kate
passionately_kate Posts: 99 Member
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
I **REALLY** need to crack down. I am looking for a list of foods to avoid. Straight forward list please. lol Please help because I will make a new list and avoid those foods. All suggestions are helpful! :)

Replies

• leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    It all depends on what you are trying to achive
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Anything that you will keep eating until it is gone if it is in front of you!
  • han182
    han182 Posts: 82
    Cake!!

...Man I love cake :ohwell:
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Things with a lot of salt in them because salt will cause water retention and therefore weight gain.

I would limit chips, nuts, cheese,etc because of the salt content. It's ok to have them every once in a while, but definitely not all the time...

Watch portion sizes as well. The larger the portion, the worse off you'll be (unless is something like veggies!)
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    I pretty much eat anything I want, portions are what I watch. I do try to stay away from a lot of processed stuff but if I want it I eat it.

That being said, although yummy brownies and pizza are evil, lol...
  • passionately_kate
    I want to lose weight. I wanna see it drop off. What are some things I should avoid? Salt...gotcha. so try and eat as little salt as possible ?
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    If it tastes good, spit it out. :bigsmile:

Of course you have the standards: high fat protien, carbs that aren't complex carbs, and processed foods.

I think it is easier to list good things to eat: lean protien (lean hamburger meat, chicken, turkey), fish/seafood (tuna, salmon, shrimp, scallops), greens, lentils, yogurt (try to eat the ones lower in sugar), fruits, veggies, oatmeal.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    1) Stay away from all processed foods, ie anything that comes in a bag or box, anything not in it's original food form, anything that will last for months in your cupboards.
    2) Stay away from "white" food, ie white rice, sugar, bread or pasta... switch over to their brown counterparts.
    3) Anything too high in sugar or sodium.
    4) condiments & salad dressings that are high in calories, sugar & fat
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    My take... Instead of thinking of things you shouldn't eat so that you possibly end up feeling deprived, think of things you need to eat more of! Fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean proteins and healthy oils. Eat things you enjoy, just eat reasonable portions of them. If you're not sure what a reasonable portion is, check nutrition labels and start measuring/weighing foods so you have a better idea.

Also, you don't necessarily need to avoid nuts because of sodium, just make sure you get the kind that are unsalted.
  • passionately_kate
    1) Stay away from all processed foods, ie anything that comes in a bag or box, anything not in it's original food form, anything that will last for months in your cupboards.
    2) Stay away from "white" food, ie white rice, sugar, bread or pasta... switch over to their brown counterparts.

Thank you. A list is what I am looking for :) This helps :)
  • lovinglife71
    lovinglife71 Posts: 65 Member
    white foods, such as rice, sugar, potatoes,past!! sodium and caffiene make you retain water!! Try to stay as fresh and healthy as u can, I have seen a big difference with this, like prepackaged foods, such as lean cuisine dinners, etc. Lots of water!!!! Also try to eat your calories and what ever u burn so your body doesn't go into starvation mode, a lot of people think they will loose fast by not eating enough calories and it doesn't work, plus you have low energy. Plus a lot of people don't realize that they spend so much time cutting the fat out of their diet, but your body needs healthy fats, like olive oil, fats that r n nuts such as almonds, good carbs such as sweet potatoes, brn rice!! Hope this helps!!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    foods that are calorie dense (small size for how many calories they have) will leave you less satisfied. You don't have to cut anything out entirely if you don't want to, but for me, I'd rather have a satisfying meal.

Example: my calorie goals are 1400/day. If I decide to eat a slice of cheesecake, I can't eat anything else for the rest of the day, and still hit my goal. However, I can eat a whole day's worth of food if I choose differently.

If you think of it as a choice rather than what you "can't" have, you're more likely to feel good about your choices, rather than feeling bad about what you are being "deprived" of.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125

Very good list, I know somwone else mentioned sodium dont go get super low on sodium though because it can be very very bad also water is your best friend I consume atleast one gallon a day.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 784 Member
    bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Anything that you will keep eating until it is gone if it is in front of you!

YES!!

I would also suggest cutting back on added sugar (sweets, table sugar, non-fruit sugar, etc.) and white bread, rice and pasta. Try to stick to minimally processed whole grains instead.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I'm sorry to dissapoint but there is no such thing as a list of foods to avoid that will just make the pounds drop off. There is no food inherently evil or good (well maybe transfats but avoiding them will not make lbs drop). There is only one way. Eat at a deficit. You can speed it up somewhat by exercise but not drastically. There are just plain no shortcuts or lists that will do much of anything. The quicker you accept that, the quicker you start doing the right things. Dicipline and perserverance take commitment. It's not easy but if it was someone would have made a fortune sellling it. Heck, a lot of yoyos make a fortune selling that pipedream and not delivered.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    I **REALLY** need to crack down. I am looking for a list of foods to avoid. Straight forward list please. lol Please help because I will make a new list and avoid those foods. All suggestions are helpful! :)

Why would you want to avoid food?

I would only list the following as foods to avoid:

1) Artificial trans fats.
    2) Any food that doesn't taste good and in this list I'd include expired food or food that has spoiled.
    3) Any food that prevents you from hitting your nutritional goals by the end of day, whether it be from calorie density or from behavioral issues like binge eating (for example, if you can't eat just 1 cookie and you'd eat the whole box, then avoid them until you get the behavior under control).
    4) Any food that you have an individual intolerance, allergy, or medically relevant condition pertaining to that food or food group.

I think that's it as far as I am concerned.

I certainly wouldn't avoid white foods or carbs or breads or even processed foods.

But having said all of that, you should ideally pursue mostly whole and nutrient dense foods as the "majority" of your intake.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    I avoid scallops and clams because I have a food sensitivity to them. If you don't, then I wouldn't bother :)
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    I've a theory that you just avoid anything white or made from white and you would lose weight like mad.
    (sugar, refined flour, potatoes, rice, ) ooo...milk isnt bad...but you get my point.
  • I def. agree with Nayshel, make a list of all the good things, there's so many...don't put negative lists that show you what you're missing. Avoid all negativity.
    :)
This discussion has been closed.