A pound is a pound...

Options
124»

Replies

• Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options
    , but volume-wise Muscle weighs MORE than Fat!!!

no.
    volume and weight are two different things.

muscle is more dense.
    density= mass/volume

I give up
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    great post!!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Honestly... does it really need a whole topic? A pound = a pound. Discovery of a century. I dont think people really need telling them that. Muscle does weigh more than fat, just as stone weights more than a feather, steel more than air etc. Saying that everything weighs the same is so darn wrong. And please dont tell me that they do weigh the same, but the've got different volume. You weigh things by volume, you know...
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh it's not rocket science. Would YOU rather have more muscle, or more fat? Get up off your lazy hiney's and lift some weights. Yeah, I'm just in one of those kind of moods today. It's not an argument IMO whether muscle weighs more than fat, it's who wants to justify their gain with that answer. I gained on the scale this morning... BUT I lifted heavy yesterday and I'm probably retaining water so my muscles can heal. WAAAAA WAAAAAA WAAAAAAA
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    banghead.gif

Does it really matter? No.

Some people may be deluding themselves by believing that they have lost fat and gained muscle at the same time which is why the scale hasn't changed. However if their belief, even if incorrect, keeps them on their diet and exercise longer then guess what? They may ACTUALLY accomplish the fine goals of losing fat and gaining muscle...
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I think it's a little unfair to say that people shouldn't encourage others who aren't losing the weight they want to but work out all the time by saying that muscle weighs more than fat.

The fact is the person who's asking why they aren't losing any weight need to be told something like "it's ok, it's probably because you're working out and you will probably find that you are getting slimmer and losing inches even thought the scales say you haven't lost anything" to be able to keep their motivation.

They wouldn't ask if they weren't looking for some reasons why, an explanation or ecouragement!

We should be explaining this to people the easiest way possible to help them maintain their motivation even if it means explaining things simply "check your measurements and I bet you've lost inches because 'muscle weighs more than fat' in context" instead of saying "a pound is a pound, if you don't understand that then go away!"
  • Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options
    , but volume-wise Muscle weighs MORE than Fat!!!

no.
    volume and weight are two different things.

muscle is more dense.
    density= mass/volume

Changed my mind because this kind of thinking bothers me too much to let it go;

mass = density x volume
    Further...
    weight = mass x gravity

Since gravity on Earth is a relative constant we can say that the density AND volume of a substance are used to determine its weight.

Volume is a key part in determining the weight of a substance so you can't just ignore it. However, if we also make volume a constant, as in 1 cup, the only variable left is density. Since it is established that muscle is more dense than fat we have proven that muscle does indeed weigh more than fat.

Case closed.