Dizzy/Light Headed..... what did I do wrong??

Options
Hey everyone!!
I started exercising 10 weeks ago. 45 minutes on the elliptical almost every day, plus
crunches and push ups. I started the 30 Day Shred yesterday, and afterwards I did 25
minutes on the elliptical. Well today, I did the 30DS, then only did 6 minutes on the
elliptical because I started to get dizzy and light headed!! It was BAD!! I had to stop,
go get some water, have a half piece of bread, then took a cool shower!! I thought I
was going to pass out!!! :cry:
I've been doing so good, and today really took the wind out of my sails!!! I usually can
exercise with no problems, but today was rough. What the heck did I do wrong?? I
don't want to not exercise, I want to keep up with the 30DS. I just don't want to have
any more dizzy spells, it scared me!!! :frown:
Any advice????
Thanks so much!!! :smile:

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a good balance of complex carbs and protien? If you are eating enough healthy calories and still getting dizzy then you should check with your doctor. It could be any number of things.
  • keegrsmom
    keegrsmom Posts: 27
    Options
    Sounds like it could possibly be low blood sugar. Have you ever had that problem before? Was anything else different, like temperature, not eating as much that day before a workout, etc. After you stopped the workout, ate some bread, had some water, and took a shower, did the dizziness subside? If so, I think it's simply low blood sugar. If symptoms remained, I'd say maybe you caught a bug or something or have just been pushing yourself too hard. Don't give up - find out what caused it and remedy that and keep going. Good luck!
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you are eating properly it might be a good idea to make an appointment with your doctor and get a physical. Sometimes low blood pressure can cause dizziness and fainting.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym regularly for over a year.

Last night, my heart rate was out of control and I thought I was going to pass out. Not sure what happened because I didn't do anything different than I would normally do (didn't up my speed on the treadmill or add in anything "different"). I had to sit down for a few minutes to try and get my heart rate to come down. Now, my heart rate USUALLY recovers very quickly. Not sure what was going on last night, but it was kinda scary. So, I'm going to be curious to hear what other people have to say.
  • rae16
    rae16 Posts: 1
    Options
    Are you allowing yourself days off? You need to give your body time to recover. I excercise 5 days a week and if during that time I feel horrible I listen to my body and rest.

Good luck!
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that happens to me when I'm getting or fighting off a cold. If it gets better after sitting for a moment, like it often does with me, you can try to continue the workout, but take it easy...don't push as hard as you normally would, and obviously stop if it is really bad.

I'd definitely do as other say though and check out your nutrition and water intake in the 12-24 hours before this episode and see if anything is out of whack. If you can't find anything and it keeps happening, definitely see a doctor.
  • matwood74
    matwood74 Posts: 111
    Options
    It didn't go away until after I got out of the shower, but it did go away. I have felt
    fine today since then, just feeling hungry. I had alot of calories left over yesterday,
    plus cut the grass in addition to my exercise. Maybe I just over-did it?? That
    30DS is really hard, and it's only 25 minutes!! I sweat more doing that then I
    do on the elliptical for 45 minutes! It's brutal!!
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    matwood74- that sounds like low blood sugar or pushing yourself too hard.
  • LaurieEReid
    LaurieEReid Posts: 273
    Options
    I am not a doctor! I had a problem last year when I wasn't eating enough. Small breakfast, hour biking, walk before lunch and I almost passed out walking down the street. Now I try to keep the blood sugar more even with more frequent meals and eating back my calories.
  • matwood74
    Options
    Thanks guys. Maybe I need to be eating back more of my calories??? I never eat them
    all back..... I just felt so drained today, like my body was missing something!!! :ohwell:
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Maybe I need to be eating back more of my calories??? I never eat them
    all back..... I just felt so drained today, like my body was missing something!!! :ohwell:

Definitely eat them back, especially if your body is telling you it needs more. I had a similar experience about a month ago where for 2 weeks I felt absolutely exhausted and hungry all the time, and couldn't push very hard in workouts. Upping my calories fixed it all! As you get stronger and in better shape, your body becomes more like a well tuned engine...so give it fuel!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It could also have been a drop in blood pressure. If you haven't had a physical exam done in a while, it might be time. If you have had blood pressure issues of any kind in the past and/or are on medication, you may need to have it adjusted. If you have been watching your sodium intake and have cut it waaay back and have had issues with low blood pressure, that can also cause a too low drop in blood pressure.
  • Shellybelamour
    Options
    I had this happen when I first started my excercise routines. I spoke with my doctor about it and she pinned it on not drinking enough water/dehydration. She recommended I drink at lease two 8 oz cups of water about an hour prior to working out and being sure to get at least eight 8oz glasses of water per day.

I havent had another dizzy spell while working out since I began following he recommendations.

:smile:
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Drinking water is crucial. My dizzy issues have been doing Jillian's ripped in 30 while sick and a half pack a day smoker. :sick: Whatever I can't manage to finish I make up for later on with some light yoga and a few minutes of circuits.
  • matwood74
    Options
    Thanks guys!! :smile:
    I did better today. After doing the 30DS, I drank some water, and instead of doing the elliptical,
    I took the dog for a walk. No dizzy spells, thank God!! I still have 900 calories left today though,
    and it's bedtime. Not sure what to do about that. Just confusing...... :embarassed:
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    What works for me is to break up the workout. Do the 30DS in the morning and then try the elliptical at night. Breaking it up like that helps you recover from each workout so your body doesn't overwork itself.