hypothyrodism weight-loss seekers?

Options
i think i rely on the scale too much. it's advised that we weight ourselves once a week, at exactly the same time, naked, on an empty stomach to rule out hormonal fluctuations, water weight and etc. i lost 2 lbs since last week (just joined last week) but now they are sort of creeping up. i weight myself daily and it's driving me nuts! :explode:

this is my second week and i should have lost another pound already. hhhmmm. is there anyone else out there w/hypothyrodism in similar situation as me? its been under control for 2 years w/synthetic hormones, but i gained weight before i found out it was dysfunctional and even when my TSH levels dropped back to normal, i could never get that extra weight off.

i'm w/in my healthy weight now, BMI is 22.8, and 5.5 and 136 lbs, and i don't look overweight, but i have extra 16 lbs to shed i think. however i think due to the autoimmunte dysfunction it might be harder for me to loose it. i need to learn the secret of battling this! any comments welcome

Replies

• vickster82
    vickster82 Posts: 108
    Options
    i think i rely on the scale too much. it's advised that we weight ourselves once a week, at exactly the same time, naked, on an empty stomach to rule out hormonal fluctuations, water weight and etc. i lost 2 lbs since last week (just joined last week) but now they are sort of creeping up. i weight myself daily and it's driving me nuts! :explode:

this is my second week and i should have lost another pound already. hhhmmm. is there anyone else out there w/hypothyrodism in similar situation as me? its been under control for 2 years w/synthetic hormones, but i gained weight before i found out it was dysfunctional and even when my TSH levels dropped back to normal, i could never get that extra weight off.

i'm w/in my healthy weight now, BMI is 22.8, and 5.5 and 136 lbs, and i don't look overweight, but i have extra 16 lbs to shed i think. however i think due to the autoimmunte dysfunction it might be harder for me to loose it. i need to learn the secret of battling this! any comments welcome
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much in the same boat you are. I had hyperthyroidism at 19 and after five years I am now hypothyroid. I think some people think we use that as an excuse as to why the weight is not coming off. But I honestly believe it makes it harder. We are having to rely on a pill to balance us. Our body, when everything is working properly, will adjust accordingly, but we have a pill. We may need more or less of this hormone on certain days but we get the same amount anyway.
    I have heard from others that it is good for you to eat 5-6 small meals a day because it keeps your metabolism up. I am going to try green tea this week and see if that helps. The only other thing I know is that you have to work your rear off. Make sure you are eating enough calories. All your burned calories too. It will come off. It may just take some time. Also I highly recommend not weighing everyday. That really got me down when I did that and I ended up turning to food to make me feel better. I do better with once every week or two weeks. I hope this has helped. Just hang in there. It WILL come off!
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    PS I am 5'5" also and you are at my goal weight. You don't have a lot to lose so it may take a little longer. Also if you are working out you are gaining muscle and that tends to make the scale go up for a little while. :smile:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time losing and I have Hyperthyroidism. You'd think it'd be easier! Well I still don't really know what's going on right now, as I'm still waiting on the results of my scans from last week. We'll see. I'm afraid that once I get on a pill of some sort it's gonna make it even harder than it is now. :cry:
  • vickster82
    Options
    so are you eating small meals of 300 calories each? i find it hard to keep the meal so small. my typical bfast is 300 or so, but lunch is 450 at least. then i have dinner and snacks, but dinner usually gets me in trouble.

i got hyperthyrodism at 18 . i ate and slept and still lost 20 lbs or so, and i looked anorexic! it completely discrupted my life though and i had to have by thyroid treated w/radioactive iodine, which killed off and left it normal for a while. then few years later, behold! i went into hyPOthyroid mode. i wondered if i was going crazy again but it was the thyroid the whole time!

good luck on your scans. let me know how it goes!
  • RachVR6
    Options
    That's what I'm worried about. That they'll kill too much off and it'll go to Hypo. I'm not having any Hyper symptoms...so I'd rather just leave it alone and hope it helps me lose weight. :laugh: I actually go to the doc tomorrow to find out results of the detailed bloodwork they did on my liver...found out that was abnormal when the Endocrinologist did scanning. I'm just a little confused about the whole situation. :ohwell: All the docs tell me oh we found this and are going to do this scan, but in the meantime they don't really tell me how their discoveries are affecting my body. I've learned what I know from WebMD. :laugh:
  • vickster82
    Options
    i work in the medical field. as a patient, you have THE RIGHT to ask any question and get an reply that breaks it down to common language. they have to explain all the labs, what its doing to your body, what to look forward to, the diagnostic tools, etc. if they don't, FIND ANOTHER DOC! there are actually a lot of crappy docs out there. by crappy i mean they rush their patients, don't take time for their concerns, don't spend enough time explaining medical terms, and misdiagnose. come back armed w/info you obtain yourself and then see how well it matches w/what the doc says.
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    I've got the same problem! Mine is being treated with natural thyroid stimulant, and I'm able to eat better now. But I still can't seem to find that magic number to lose the weight. The site tells me each day that I should lose 5 pounds in 5 weeks, and it has been telling me that since the beginning of July. So far, I have not been able to lose. I am more tone from exercise, and I am not gaining. But I cannot seem to lose!:sad:
  • RachVR6
    Options
    I figured I'd update here too...

Just got back from the doc and it seems they aren't really sure what's going on with me anymore. :grumble: :laugh: When they did bloodwork on my thyroid it came back as a 0 when it should be between .3 and 5. Well when the Endocrinologist they sent me to did the same test, he got a .268, still out of range but not nearly as bad. At the same time he did a test on my liver when came back high at a 68 (don't know what normal range is or what they were testing) and when my normal doc did the test they got a 32. Soooo I'm a little frustrated. We're going to do the liver one again at the end of September and I get the results from my thyroid scans in the beginning of October so I guess it's back to waiting. I NEED to workout tonight and relieve some of this stress! :laugh: