Light beer/ wine

Options
lolacanaday
lolacanaday Posts: 21 Member
Is anyone else a beer drinker? I love drinking light beer or wine on the weekends... especially in the summer!!! Anyone else? Does it effect your weight loss goals

Replies

• danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Ditto!!!! The summers are much more of a temptation for me over winters! It's hard trying to lose while drinking your calories on the weekends but I think if we work out to make up for them, it'll help. I mean...you can't give up all the fun things, right?
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Wine is better for sure...beer and hard alcohol have more calories. I have been sticking to Bud Light (cans are 110 cals) and if I do have a mixed drink a shot of vodka is typically between 65-100 cals and I use diet tonic water with a twist of lime. I have cut down on my alcohol intake for sure but wont give it up completely and it hasn't affected me that I've noticed.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i drink 4 drinks a week (light beer or wine, mostly light beer lately) and i've been able to lose and maintain while doing that. you just have to figure it into your calories, not drink it in addition to them!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of wine every other day (savignon blanc) and a couple beers on the weekend, though usually not light beer, because I don't like it. It doesn't affect my workouts or weight. Just don't overdo it.
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    haha, there is no power on earth to make me give up my beer :)- I just switched to Bud select 55. It tastes good but its really low alcohol percentage wise :(
  • lexlundin
    lexlundin Posts: 9
    Options
    You can lose lots of weight like that but it's frowned on.
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options
    Yep! I I have switched to MGD light 64 cals, 2.4 carbs. I set my goals at 1000 cals so I have have my beer!! I also watch my sugars.
    I just make sure that water is the only other thing I drink :)
  • dalcatch22
    dalcatch22 Posts: 3
    Options
    alcohol consumption decreases testosterone production and the levels of circulating androgen in the bloodstream, this decreases not only strength but the resting metabolic rate, energy levels and the rate of recovery from exercise. the higher the BAC the lower test levels will be. consuming alcohol before bed disrupts the sleep cycles and decreases growth hormone (GH) secretion. GH is the most powerful fat burning hormone that the human body produces. alcohol also dehydrates the muscle cells and interferes with the Krebs Cycle which decreases fatty acid metabolism.

in terms of weight/fat loss there is not one positive to consuming alcohol on a regular basis. despite popular belief there is a lot more to weight loss than cals in vs. cals out. it's all about manipulating the endocrine system in a positive manner through the diet and with regular exercise.
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    haha, there is no power on earth to make me give up my beer :)- I just switched to Bud select 55. It tastes good but its really low alcohol percentage wise :(

I didn't realize Bud made a 55 cal. I've been drinking MGD, not good! I drank a couple Blue Moon's the other night and got really buzzed, I guess I had gotten used to the MGD. I could have 3 and feel not-a-thing! Why waste calories if there's no enjoyment :wink:
  • chantel14
    Options
    I can't drink wine anymore because I can't stop drinking after one glass :( Before I know it the bottle is empty lol
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options

I didn't realize Bud made a 55 cal. I've been drinking MGD, not good! I drank a couple Blue Moon's the other night and got really buzzed, I guess I had gotten used to the MGD. I could have 3 and feel not-a-thing! Why waste calories if there's no enjoyment :wink:
    Bud 55 has even less alcohol :( that's why I went with the 64, but true it's like drinking water!! lol
  • chantel14
    Options

Haha, I agree! I got use to drinking the Bud 55 and I had a couple of bottles of Shiner double wheat this weekend and man they almost gave me a buzz after two beers! Bud 55 has a better flavor than MGD but don't count on it to make you feel better :)-
  • oohgraciela79
    Options
    i looooooooooooooooooooooooove alcohol, period.
  • 4saltlife
    4saltlife Posts: 1
    Options
    I work it in with my calorie count by drinking water all day and in the evenings I will have a low calorie beer, wine or cocktail.
  • kattyisfat
    kattyisfat Posts: 10
    Options
    I wont give it up and it does effect the rate of weight loss but, if make small changes like, switching from regular beer to Miller Lite or Select 55, they have fewer calories than most and a lot less carbs which is what helps you gain weight. I decided not to cut out everything that I love and I have still lost 25 pounds and, believe me, there are days I need more than one or two beers. Sometimes, on the weekends, I put a shot of tequila in my beer and it is delicious! Try it for a quick pick me up. BUt dont have too many as they are fattening!!! Just make sure to track your calories from alcohol the same as food. You learn to eat more foods that have less calories. Have fun and enjoy the summer! Remember, we workout more when the weather is nice so burn the calories before you drink!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Choose your poison! There is nothing anyone here can say that will make me give up my few drinks per week. My weight loss goals do not really have a timetable so I'll compensate.

Here are some numbers:

Most standard white and red table wines like merlot, cabernet sauvignon, zinfandel, chardonnay and riesling fall between 110 and 120 calories for a 5-oz. serving.

You can find light beers with as few as 55 or 64 calories for a 12 ounce serving but there is less alcohol in them (not necessarily a bad thing!) so you'd need to drink more to get the same effect. Bud Light will run you around 110 calories and some light beers, like Tecate Light, are around 200 calories, which is not so light! Do your homework before drinking these.

I've gone looking at a few hard liquors before, mostly flavored vodkas, and they are all around 70 calories per ounce. That's one ounce, not 1 1/2 oz. which is a pretty standard shot. Mix them with soda water or diet soda and you're looking at around 105 calories for 12 -16 ounces.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    LMAO, this topic could get HEATED quick for the Die Hard fitness buffs so I will just comment and leave this topic. I LIKE MY BEER PERIOD lol and I drink on the weekends I know there bad carbs so no lectures please hahaha. I just burn about 800 calories before I have that first beer and Im good to go :P
  • lolacanaday
    Options
    Thank you! This is very informative!
  • lolacanaday
    Options
    That's been my plan for months... I very seldom have any drinks during the week, I exercise 6 days a week to relieve stress from working full time AND going to school, but on that 6th day... I'm having my beer or wine!
  • zyarnykh
    zyarnykh Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I can't drink wine anymore because I can't stop drinking after one glass :( Before I know it the bottle is empty lol

Same here...especially white. I always end up way over calories that day (and then some).