random rantings

Options
So this may seem a little random but I am sitting here eating a organic D'Anjou pear & I am just wondering why they would take such a delicious & perfect fruit & genetically modifify it to make it taste more like an apple? I am from washington I eat enough apples, why would I want my pear to taste like one too?

GMOs do not have to be labeled in the United States therefore unless you are buying certified organic you dont know if your food is genetically modified..

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• lisamarie1227
    Options
    I don't know but your post makes me curious...now I am going to have to try an organic pear. I have never, as far as I know, except out of my garden ate anything organic. Is there that much of a difference in the taste???
  • LucyIbbetson
    Options
    Genetically modified fruits are a bit of a joke really. We have survived fine without them and sometimes it is good to just eat a pear! I am not veggie or a GM protester but I do not see the point at the present time, stick to the fresh veg from the supermarket or general market not the GM stuff.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'd guess that the taste of GMO fruit is a side-effect, not the end-goal. the goal was probably to make the fruit more resistant to common pests that can destroy the crop; to make it easier to transport without spoilage; to make the fruit or seeds keep longer, etc.