Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Shopping cart , what do you buy??

elliott062907
elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Well, it's official, I actually heard some one in my grocery store laugh at me. Yes, I talk to myself, yes I read labels and yes, I get disguisted with food choices. So I increased my grocery budget by 20% per month. So what. Me and my family are healthier!!!!

When I shop, I start in the produce section. It takes forever. I buy lots of veggies and fruits. I try to buy from USA only. No offense to our out of country MFP's, but as the big companies ship the produce, they add a little extra to it to get it here with out bugs and contamination.

Afterwards, I hit the all natural foods sectionand always take a long my coupons. Love the sugar free stuff and yogurts and soy products.

Then I hit the meat aisle. Man, this takes me forever. I look for lean, no presertavives added stuff. I eat a lot of fish and organic chicken and ground turkey.

Then I am off to the dairy aisle.

Here's my point, I have actually over heard people laughing at me for shopping healthy. Actually staring at me and looking in my buggy and smirking.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not perfect. I do have the occassional reeses cup and diet drink.
But to put some one else down??

So I do my usual red headed thing, I just laugh and say out loud, well, at least I can be happ about what I put in my body.

Replies

• elliott062907
    Well, it's official, I actually heard some one in my grocery store laugh at me. Yes, I talk to myself, yes I read labels and yes, I get disguisted with food choices. So I increased my grocery budget by 20% per month. So what. Me and my family are healthier!!!!

When I shop, I start in the produce section. It takes forever. I buy lots of veggies and fruits. I try to buy from USA only. No offense to our out of country MFP's, but as the big companies ship the produce, they add a little extra to it to get it here with out bugs and contamination.

Afterwards, I hit the all natural foods sectionand always take a long my coupons. Love the sugar free stuff and yogurts and soy products.

Then I hit the meat aisle. Man, this takes me forever. I look for lean, no presertavives added stuff. I eat a lot of fish and organic chicken and ground turkey.

Then I am off to the dairy aisle.

Here's my point, I have actually over heard people laughing at me for shopping healthy. Actually staring at me and looking in my buggy and smirking.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not perfect. I do have the occassional reeses cup and diet drink.
    But to put some one else down??

So I do my usual red headed thing, I just laugh and say out loud, well, at least I can be happ about what I put in my body.
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    geez, where do you shop with all those rude people?! I have never experienced that, but I don't think people really look in my basket. LOL.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    I have never had anyone laugh at me. I actually have people talk to me when they see that I am reading the labels. I had one lady tell me that she now compares all the UPC labels because she finds that she is getting ripped off when she gets to the register so she writes down all the prices next to her item on her list along with the UPC code!!!! WOW! It does take me longer to shop now. My husband is always calling to make sure I am okay because I am taking so long to get home LOL.
    You keep doing what you're doing because you are doing the right thing for you and your family.

Memaw!
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    I buy tons of veggies and fruit. I always have my cart over flowing because I shop once every two weeks cause I have to travel 100km to get food. Ppl are always giving my cart weird looks because of all the fruits and veggies I buy. I find it funny. I just laugh to myself at all their reactions haha
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    Wow I have never heard of people laughing about someone who is choosing to "eat clean"....atleast it will be you that has the last laugh because your healthy and so is your family.....all those who are not considerate about what goes in their mouth is because they lack respect for themselves and their body that's for sure!!!
    I also have a treat here and there....but it is usually dark chocolate or natural popcorn maybe beef jerky...
    When I do groceries with my boyfriend we only ever do all the outside edges since that's whats healthiest........I had a philosophy prof also once tell me that if my GREAT GRANDMOTHER WOULD NOT RECOGNIZE THE FOOD....THEN ITS PROBABLY NOT GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!:smile:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Wow, I haven't ever noticed anyone being negative either. Though, I do have a toddler distracting me! :laugh:

That is crazy! But at least you know you are doing what is right for your body. I shop about the same way you do. Start with the fruits/veggies, then the "health food" section since it's right next to the produce..then I get meats, and then dairy. I do make a stop in the middle for things like cereal, coffee, Pasta, etc and then hit the bread aisle and frozen foods. I actually like to buy frozen veggies since they keep better for me.

I might throw in a light ice cream too! :blushing: :blushing:
  • elliott062907
    I guess the ones that laugh are the percentage of america that is obease huh???

Honestly though, I get some strange looks.

I have also noticed myself those that are large and all their kids are large. ton's of frozen pizzas, boxes of mac n cheese and hot dogs.........

hey no one's perfect and it is real easy to judge.

i'm just glad I am not alone, with the stares and all.....
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Oh man, I hate those people that size you up like, "so you think you're going to lose weight huh?" when they see all the healthy food in your shopping car. They are the same jerks laughing at me when I look winded trying to go for a jog. Its like you can see them thinking, "look at the fat girl run." The good part is, these horrible people only make up like 1% of the population. I guarantee for every smirker, there are at least 8 or 9 people who took one look at your super food choices and felt terribly guilty about their own choices. :bigsmile:

I struggled for a while; feeling ashamed people might think I'm on a "diet." I say screw that I'm making healthy choices and they can kiss my soontobe skinny butt! :glasses:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Nobody has laughed at me, but I think they are all too busy watching Taylor be wonderful to bother watching me look at labels...lol
    Lately I've been buying goat cheese instead of regular cheese. It's 70 calories for an oz, and WAY stronger tasting than regular cheese, so a little goes a long way especially melted over rice or with some high fiber crackers.
    Also, I've switched from "diet bread" to multigrain Arnold brand for 100 calories a slice. It fills me up SOOO much more than those measly slices of diet bread because it is so much denser and packed with seeds!
    I buy tons of frozen veggies, usually like the sweet pepper mix with onions and any of the brocolli mixes. I know fresh is best, but I'm a little lazy somtimes...lol
    Big bags of brown rice...I cook up a huge pot and take it with me for lunch at work, along with the mixed veggies and that brings me to
    Perdue baked chicken breasts, pre-cooked! Those also go with lunch...god I'm lazy sometimes...lol
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Nobody has laughed at me, but I think they are all too busy watching Taylor be wonderful to bother watching me look at labels...lol
    Lately I've been buying goat cheese instead of regular cheese. It's 70 calories for an oz, and WAY stronger tasting than regular cheese, so a little goes a long way especially melted over rice or with some high fiber crackers.
    Also, I've switched from "diet bread" to multigrain Arnold brand for 100 calories a slice. It fills me up SOOO much more than those measly slices of diet bread because it is so much denser and packed with seeds!
    I buy tons of frozen veggies, usually like the sweet pepper mix with onions and any of the brocolli mixes. I know fresh is best, but I'm a little lazy somtimes...lol
    Big bags of brown rice...I cook up a huge pot and take it with me for lunch at work, along with the mixed veggies and that brings me to
    Perdue baked chicken breasts, pre-cooked! Those also go with lunch...god I'm lazy sometimes...lol
    Not lazy! Convenient! Whatever works for you girl! Sounds like you are making some great choices to me. And mixing convenience with home cooking is fine if it helps you eat healthier foods.

Also, I have read many articles stating that frozen is just fine for veggies. They are frozen at their peak, thereby retaining all the nutrients. I buy a lot of frozen veggies myself. Canned is the only one to try to avoid because of the sodium!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    My bf always goes to the meat section, and honestly I have no idea how to shop for produce/meat, so I let him do it. I just tell him to pick out what's lean and help me pick out what's ripe. :laugh: We haven't gone shopping in a long time because we're broke and his mom made us clean out her freezer, but we generally start at the meats and get a couple thin steaks and a bag of frozen chicken breast. Then we get tons of frozen veggies in the Steamfresh bags (love those things!), some plain pasta sauce (stuff without corn syrup, bleh), a box of eggs, 2 gallons of soymilk/lactaid milk (we go through this SO fast), a couple pieces of fruit, and a box of cereal and some oatmeal if we need it. We used to order food wayyyyyy too much, even healthy stuff, so we're now starting to defrost stuff and actually prepare meals. I do get a little sick of chicken w/ whole wheat pasta every night, but hey, it saves money. We don't buy organic or anything like that...it's pricey for what you're actually getting in my opinion, considering they still use pesticides, and meat without added hormones still has the hormones the animal lived with normally. However, when we can afford it, we'll buy grass-fed beef because it's tastier and the nutritional profile is actually very different from that of corn-fed beef. People probably do stare at us, because we always go in just for eggs or milk and never get a cart, soo....yea, we're usually carrying all that stuff. :laugh:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Not lazy! Convenient! Whatever works for you girl! Sounds like you are making some great choices to me. And mixing convenience with home cooking is fine if it helps you eat healthier foods.

Also, I have read many articles stating that frozen is just fine for veggies. They are frozen at their peak, thereby retaining all the nutrients. I buy a lot of frozen veggies myself. Canned is the only one to try to avoid because of the sodium!

Thanks Tam! :) lol I do cook meals, chicken, pork, steak, taters...lol but when Bob is away at the store it seems pointless to cook a big meal. Last week I made stuffed cabbage with the brown rice and lean ground beef and onions and ate that for 3 days...lol Anywho, thanks for the positive spin :)
This discussion has been closed.