New to running - what makes you stop?

Options
CeejayGee
CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
I have a question for other new runners or those who were once new runners...

When you first begin a running program...what is it that makes you want to stop, i.e. no longer to endure going and pause to walk. Is it that you're out of breath? Body tired? etc.

I find that I'm never out of breath (well, not now that I have asthma meds), but that my calves aching/tiring always makes me stop after about the 60 second mark (I'm on Couch 2 5k, Week 1, so this is the perfect timing). I never get to a point where I am out of breath, or have a stitch in my side, etc. It's always the legs.

Replies

• dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I would say if you are having issues with your legs then yes you want to slow the pace or walk. The thing with running is that it is hard on your joints and body because of the pounding. You don't want to hurt yourself. Take it slow and steady and work your way up to it.

Congratulations on starting running!! It is an awesome workout!
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    Yep its the legs hurting.
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 2 Day 2 of Couch to 5k... and with the new running shoes, my legs can keep going, it's my lungs that want to die! I'm still coughing and have a wheeze now, lol.

Good luck with your running! Hopefully we can both get through the program!
  • ruffledviolet
    ruffledviolet Posts: 260
    Options
    For me it's always running out of breath. I am completely awful at running. I love it, but I just can't do it. :(
    Swimming isn't a problem for me so I stick with that.

Anyway, I think if you stretch before and after it will get better. You can Google good calf stretches.
  • KayNicole1320
    Options
    for me its the opposite. I dont get tired in the legs until like.......2 hrs maybe....hard to tell. because i cant even manage 60 seconds without panting. I have terrible cardiovascular so when i run, its hurts like hell in my lungs, but i push through the panting for about 10 mins at a time and then have to walk or even stop altogether to stretch and calm my heart rate before i go into cardiac arrest lol. My legs NEVER get tired or sore. I could stay on my feet walking around all day and it'll be a backache thatll get me to sit down, not my legs. In fact, since either my breathing or my back tends to make me have to rest first, I dont think I even know what its like to have sore legs from exersize. Theyre always up for more.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to running as well but what does it for me is running out of breath and the legs getting tired, I have to stop for at least a minute after a mile.
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    I'm a new runner too! If I push it too hard too fast then I usually end up stopping for my breathing. Sunday I pushed my distance an extra .70 of a mile and ended up tweaking my knee. Today, I stopped because my knee was still bothering me and my legs were really stiff. I'm trying to read as much as I can (I've found www.runnersworld.com to have great resources) on info for beginning runners.

I'm not doing C25k, maybe I should. But I just don't feel it. I have a better time just doing my own thing.

Good luck.
  • TaushasJourney
    Options
    I'm on C25K week 4 (1 more workout), and I definitely start to feel a little out of breath and like my legs get heavier, haha. But it's not so bad that I stop to walk before my time's up. Next week's last workout is all running, so we'll see if I can push thru it!
  • skye_logan
    skye_logan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm almost the exact opposite. I almost never get to the legs getting tired point, I usually have to stop because I can't breathe anymore. The whole not being able to breathe thing is really bad though, it takes a long time to regain my breath, so I'm considering going to my doctor and asking about exercise-induced asthma. I feel like if I could breathe I would run forever!

Good luck on your running journey though! I've always wanted to be able to run but never had the lungs to!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I am new to running and my knee was bothering me and my chiropractor said to increase the incline. I thought he wanted to kill me, but it worked. I don't know if you are on a treadmill, but try increasing the incline. Also make sure you have good shoes.

Good luck. I have never run in my life and I completed the C25k and was so proud of myself. Keep at it.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I think most often I stop to catch my breath or I need to drink some water.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the breath.

When my breathing gets out of control, I will breathe too quickly, or not often enough, leading to lightheadedness and / or a pain in my belly/side. This makes me stop, catch my breath, and start slowly again focusing strongly on my breathing. I know this is a weak point for me so it is all I can do to listen to my breath and time it with my steps. I have more trouble if I bring music or 'zone out'. I need to be on task and really thinking about breathing to make it work for me.

My calves and legs hurt very rarely, but when they do, I push right on through. When I was in high school my friend was in cross country. He did extremely well but never felt good about himself. He didn't know that I was looking up to him every day and wishing I could run like he did. I remember him now each day I go on these runs (I wish I would have told him how I felt, he has such low self confidence now-a-days...) One of his X-Country shirts had this printed on the back.

"The only thing pushing you forward when your legs stop moving... is your mind."

I remember this and I tell myself KEEP GOING. KEEP GOING. I do. As long as I truly believe I can make it, I will. When I start to tell myself, "Ok this is far enough..." I feel tired. I always have to push myself. "Ok to that stop sign." But once I get near it, I start thinking "Ok... to that curve in the road", and so on. Then I am halfway thru and I think "The faster I run, the faster I will be home and finished!!"
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    When I first started running (after 14 years of not doing) I ran about 8km. Up to about 2km in it was my breath making me want to stop, but once I broke through that, I was ok. By about 6km my legs were getting tired.

When I started running regularly I ran a 6km route, and it wasn't my legs or breathing that made me want to stop, it was really just an overwhelming sense of "urgh, my body does not want to do this". Even now, a year after that first run, I can't place what it is that makes me want to stop. Sometimes it's ankle pain, but that's easy to ignore.

I don't stop, though. I always just push through and finish the route I have planned. Occasionally I have had to walk up steep hills, but I try not to these days. I know my body can run 10 km, so I make it.
  • rkquade
    rkquade Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm not new to running, but am slowly coming back from an injury. This may sound weird but I want to stop or walk, most of the time, because my mind tells me this is too hard. The mental part of running is my biggest challenge. Best of luck to you!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    It would probably be the whole breathing thing, if I had not already been doing Turbo Fire for the 6 weeks before starting running again. I would say that conditioned my lungs pretty well. I started running again last week, and I've taken it pretty slow so far but it's definetely the legs hurtings/getting sore that makes me *want* to stop (but I don't.) I only run every other day for now though.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Thirst and feeling overheated is what beats me down. And some of the hills in my neighborhood are killers, too. My legs feel fine. My breathing is fine. It's just a general fatigue. During a race, I can power through it, but when I'm just jogging, I'm not going to run myself into the ground.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I do have good shoes - I went and had them fitted at a running store. Before, my legs hurt like crazy after even a fast walk for 20 seconds. But, now it's much better. However, it's always the calves that makes me want to stop running and walk instead. They just get tight and really tired. I stop a few times and stretch them.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I tried to do the couch 2 5k but I have the wrong type of shoes for it. Also, I made it through the first week of the program but really struggled doing 90 seconds straight of jogging (at 4mph via the treadmill). So I re-did week 1 but still didn't have any more success AND my leg/ankles started hurting. I've since switched to a stationary bike so I could still exercise until I can afford to go to a running store and get fitted for good shoes.
    Ultimately though, what made me have to stop was a combination of not being able to breathe and my legs.
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i was never a runner (i hated and could do it) but decided to start running 3 months ago.. what would make me stop is cramping on my side but most of all it'd be a mental thing. mentally, i gave up too easily. so i gradually just set longer goals.. to the stop sign, to the tree, etc.. now i can run non stop for at least 3 miles.. (i ran my 1st 5k race this past mother's day weekend).. make sure to stretch out really good before and after your runs.. that may help with your calves. best of luck! you can do it! :happy:
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I get out of breath and feel like I'm about to explode after 60-120 seconds lol