Slowcooker Yogurt

Options
healthekate
healthekate Posts: 22 Member
Can you REALLY make yogurt in your crock pot? YES! Here’s how:

[NOTE: I used a 4-quart slowcooker.]

1. Warm 8 cups (1/2 gallon) whole milk (you can try reduced fat, but it will likely be thinner; you might need to add more dry milk to get the desired thickness) on low for 2.5 hours.

2. Turn the slowcooker off and unplug it. Allow to sit for 3 hours.

3. After 3 hours have lapsed, scoop out 3 cups of the warm milk and whisk in 1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk, then whisk in 1/2 cup plain yogurt of choice (the yogurt acts as a starter; as long as it has live cultures, it will work). Pour this mixture back in with the rest of the milk in the crock and whisk to mix. Put the lid back on and wrap the ENTIRE slowcooker in at least one thick towel. Let sit 8-16 hours to thicken.

4. Scoop your homemade yogurt into containers and allow to continue firming in fridge. This makes enough to fill two of the containers that used to cost me $4/each!

[NOTE: Remember to reserve a 1/2-cup to use as your next starter! I have been doing this each week, and it's awesome! Saves me some money, and I have noticed that using my own yogurt for the starter makes a thicker batch -- I think because the cultures are fresh. In my opinion, this is one of the BEST things you can make in a slowcooker!]

Makes about 16 1/2-cup servings. Enjoy! :happy:

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I do this too! It's wonderful! I've been straining mine through coffee filters to make a Greek-style yogurt. It gets REALLY thick and yummy. The whey that strains out is pretty gross though. :laugh:
  • fitmom4ever
    fitmom4ever Posts: 130
    Options
    bump
  • savvynurse
    savvynurse Posts: 292
    Options
    Will probably have to try this one! Does anyone add flavors to this? Such as vanilla?
  • monoxidechick
    monoxidechick Posts: 339
    Options
    interesting, thanks
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    What does it compare to, regular yogurt or Greek style yogurt?
  • healthekate
    healthekate Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Regular yogurt, although you can strain out the whey to make Greek style (see above comment). Mine is actually thicker than the yogurt I used to buy, which was quite thin.
  • kiwi_dee
    kiwi_dee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!