Please Help

Options
So I am going grocery shopping with my parents tomorrow. I was just wondering... What are some of your staple foods? What are some things that you absolutely demand be in your house to help you on this amazing journey we are all on? I am a laco-ovo vegetarian and I need more variety!! Anything you can suggest will be greatly appreciated. I have been curious about this for a while so I figured now would be the best time to ask. Thanks everyone! Feel free to friend me as well.

Replies

• RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    chicken, eggs, skim milk, natural peanut butter ( most definitely this one!!!) whole wheat bread/pasta ( im a carb lover!),sweet potatoes, green beans, asparagus, broccoli. that was pretty much my grocery list every week haha
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I must have fresh fruits and veggies at all times (organic)
    organic yogurt
    hummus
    cheese
    oatmeal
    peanut butter
    bran cereal
    strawberry kefir
    I can't really think of anything else I absolutely have to have...but those are staples for me. Not sure if that helps you! :smile:
  • RaiTay
    RaiTay Posts: 21
    Options
    I don't have a huge sweet tooth but I always have my mom pick up fruit and veggies. Even before I started losing weight I would snack on them. Really good if you want something sugary. :)
  • judycfox
    judycfox Posts: 3
    Options
    Sweet Potatoes, Whole Oates, Brown Rice, Asparagus, Spinach, Balsamic Vinegar, Olive Oil, Mixed Salad Greens, Tilapia, Sweet Red Bell Peppers, Apples, Whole Natural Almonds, Red Grapefruit, Cucumbers, Protien Powder. (Whey Isolate, Casen) Frozen Strawberries, Banannas (Freeze them to use for Protien Shakes along with Frozen Strawberries) Thomas Light English Muffins. Veggie Shreds Cheese (located by the organic foods usually where they hve the tofu etc.) Pure Protien (Protien Bars) 20g Protien aprox 180 cal...
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Have you tried quorn products? I am a vegetarian as well and right now I can't have soy (or dairy) and I have quorn on a daily basis. it is an excellent, versatile, low fat and tasty protein source.

Also, hummus, baby carrots, high fiber breakfast cereal, unsweetened almond milk, organic canned beans, baby spinach, a high quality salad dressing, flax seeds, natural peanut butter, good quality whole grain bread, boom choco boom (vegan chocolate bars), olive oil, Trader Joe's 21 seasoning salute, brown rice, quinoa, avocado, fresh tomatos, fruit.

I'm sure there's more. I'll send you a request and you can scope out my food log if you wish.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Frozen mixed veggies, whole wheat sandwich thins, almond milk, boca burgers, lean pork loin chops, wholly guacamole, natural peanut butter and Blue Bunny lite fudge pops.
  • ewebber88
    ewebber88 Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the help so far. I am going to make a list first thing in the morning. What kind of cereal does everyone eat? I am trying to get my parents to get in gear on this journey with me but it's hard to get someone out of their old habits.
  • bruceseverson
    Options
    Kashi Cereals or Kelloggs Fiber-plus cereals, Cold-milled ground flax seed, natural peanut butter (I use the Kroger brand), Nature Valley or Oro-Wheat brand Whole Wheat or 12 Grain or 7 Grain breads. Eggs - Cage free, Vegetarian Fed only. Other than that, I eat a variety of foods, including restaurant food, but use MFP to judge nutrition/Calories and portion sizes before I eat. Bruce

5255597.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the high fiber cinnamon cheerios or 3 minute brand oatmeal
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Melon of any kind (canteloupe, watermelon, honeydew, etc)... great for the sweet tooth, gives you energy w/ natural sugar, and very filling.

As for veggie products (my wife is a veg)... try out Quorn as mentioned earlier if you're not already. When everyone else (like I do) is making chicken, you can throw in Quorn and not miss a beat. Whenever we cook, we have 3 pots/pans: One cooking real meat, one cooking fake meat, and one cooking whatever side(s) we're both having. Its a pain, but everyone comes out a winner.