I have pcos and its so hard to diet

Options
I have a hormonal issue and it stinks. I have an issue called PCOS also known as PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome. And because its an insulin problem my doctor tells me that the only way it will get somewhat better is if I diet and exercise. I am already hypoglycemic to begin with and one of the only treatments that I can take is Metformin which is a diabetic medication that decreases your blood sugar and I have to take it 4 times a day 300 mg. It stinks because I have to eat a feast with it. I find it so hard to diet because I need a certain amount of carbs in my diet and certain amount of protein in order for my headaches to go away.. but I just don't know what I should be really eating and how much, and its really hard to lose any of the weight. Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Message NykkieZ! :happy:
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    what types of foods are you taking in to get your carbs and protein?
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There are a few people on MFP that successfully diet and lose weight with PCOS. I am not one of them,but I know some on my list are and one is even pregnant and in GREAT shape... I hope you connect with a few soon. It is not impossible, so have a positive attitude about it because if you stay frustrated or think it is a near impossible task to get rid of your headache/control your carbs while taking metformin AND losing weight, you can easily get overwhelmed and quit.
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Maybe ask your doctor. My sisters also have PCOS and they're both on Metformin and they hate it.
  • Sta83cy
    Sta83cy Posts: 14
    Options
    Make sure you are eating lean meats like chicken and turkey, watch what kind of carbs you eat. Make sure you focus on whole grain pasta and breads. Also try finding a healthy peanut butter. Its very filling and gives you protein.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I'm not a doctor. But...
    There are (as you know I'm sure) carbs that are better than others just as there are proteins that are better than others (well ok, not necessarily better but some come with a whole lot less fat lol)

I'd be happy to share ideas with you - and if you are looking for a friend on here - let me know - I'm always happy to help where I can.

Ask your doctor about Whey and Soy protein (there are specific benefits for women and Soy protein I'm told) I use Protein powder in water with half a serving of Vanilla Greek Yogurt (Chobani is my choice but Fage is excellent as well) for a quick Protein drink that is outstanding in protein, not bad on carbs and zero fat...

Fish fish fish - Talapia, Tuna Steak (real tuna not the shredded stuff in a can), Salmon, Halibut, Cod... The list can go on but these are all excellent sources of protein. Tuna is an EXCELLENT source of Omega 3 fatty acids which we actually NEED in our system so another benefit to it. All of the above can be purchased in bulk through Sams (for example) in individually wrapped packages - I love them - they are great on the grill or baked either way (Tuna is a MUST on the grill).

- Also check out Ezekiel breads... They are in the frozen breads section - they have several "types" and they are INCREDIBLY yummy... They are higher in calories then a lot of other breads but they keep you feeling full, provide really great nutrients and an excellent form of carbs to intake...

Obviously Whole Grain is better than sugars and processed grains, white flower, etc. etc. etc. Fruit is another great one - Yes they have sugar but it is a complex sugar vs. the simple sugar we all know and love (or love to hate lol)...

Your Doctor SHOULD be able to provide you with a list of possible foods as well - Counting calories is tough but it was amazing that when I found the above foods (and to my liking to boot) I actually eat MORE food than I used to because they are good for me I am consuming more actual food vs. so many empty calories from fat, sugar, etc...

I really hope this gives you some ideas - shoot me a message if you'd like more detail, more ideas, etc...

I'm in your corner,
    C.J.
  • katesxxo6391
    Options
    well i've had pcos for about 5 years now. last year i lost 8 pounds, but at the time i listened to my ex bf who was a bodybuilder and basically ate nothing but cottage cheese for like 3 days and dropped all that weight . prior to that i was always dieting and exercising eating the right foods, but it was so hard losing the weight so yea i definitely do get frustrated. :/ Ive tried so many different diets and so im definitely trying to watch how much im eating and my calorie intake. This time around ive been really motivated to lose 25 pounds so Im really hoping that this helps!
  • SaraSwanson25
    Options
    Hi Kates!

I also have PCOS. First of all, taking Met 4 times a day must be a pain in the rear end, literally! Are you on extended release? If not, I would ask your doc about it. I switched and it is a life saver! I personally take 750 in the morning with breakfast, and 750 at night with dinner, and I don't feel like it hinders me that much. I just started the new version of the medication, so I can't say if it has helped much with weight loss, but I can already feel a difference in my appetite, so that is a positive. I wish you luck my soul cycter. This issue is no fun. Hope my advice helps and you get things under control soon! I have been dealing with PCOS for 10 years, feel free to email me if you have any questions!

Sara
  • katesxxo6391
    Options
    Thanks sarah! It's definitely nice knowing im not alone ! I just feel like my doctor isn't really helping me as i may switch to a new doctor. Every time I go I feel like all she asks me is am i dieting and exercising and Im like yea I've always been the one to do a bunch of sports and usually exercise about 3-4 times a week and I tell her how the Metformin gives me a bunch of headaches. And i feel like im not making any progress. I mean im 180 lbs right now and 25 pounds overweight so I definitely want that weight off! I've been always tall and a lil bit more muscular as im a swimmer, but I just wanna feel and be healthy again ya know? I can definitely say im frustrated! lol but thanks everyone for your advice i will keep everyones advice in mind!
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I was put on metformin(sp?) and I thought I was going to die. I stayed sick all day. I made her take me off then I started exercising and keeping carbs really low and protein high and I finally started losing. Good luck with your journey.
  • katesxxo6391
    Options
    what kind of proteins were you eating? peanut butter? I used to eat peanut butter crackers for my headaches since my doctors want me eating protein, but only good protein. I don't know what else I should eat that is high in protein that I can carry around with me when I'm at work, but is also healthy at the same time.
  • SaraSwanson25
    Options
    Oh Hun! I feel ya! If your doc is not helping you, ask to go to an endocrinologist. It was when I went to that kind of doc that they finally put me on the right meds. I took my MyfitnessPal Journal to my GP and told her I wasn't losing any weight. When she saw that, she sent me to the Endo and he immediately put me on the MetXR. So yeah, maybe you need a new doc. Ask to see an Endo, if your GP doesn't send you, get a new GP. 300mg 4 times a day isn't a high enough dose. My endo told me most PCOS patients are 1500-2500 mg daily. So start there and see what happens. Hopefully a new doc will actually know what they are doing!
  • katesxxo6391
    Options
    I see an endo once every 6 months.. so .. i used to take birth control since obviously i would never get my period.. i went 10 months without having it. Birth control got me very sick and I even tried 4 different kinds, which is when i decided I would try Metformin once more.. and ive been on it for about 6 months now and like i said its very hard losing weight.
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi Kate,

Well, for one it sounds like you have the determination which is a huge part of the battle.

Second as you know your going to have to be meticulous about your diet, and it can be done.

As for the protein, I pound protein, it’s more than half my diet. While I love peanut butter(crunchy peanut butter is the slam!) BUT, it has a lot of fat in it.
    I have a couple high protein type foods that travel well, throughout the day with me. Cans of tuna(yes, I have a manual can opener in my bag, at my desk) hard boiled eggs, and protein powder and put it in milk.(Jay Robb is my personnel preference and tasted good to.)

Good luck in getting your goal!
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    what kind of proteins were you eating? peanut butter? I used to eat peanut butter crackers for my headaches since my doctors want me eating protein, but only good protein. I don't know what else I should eat that is high in protein that I can carry around with me when I'm at work, but is also healthy at the same time.
    [/quote

I am allergic to peanut so I only eat fish, shrimp, chicken, and turkey. I do not eat beef or pork really bother my stomach. I do protein shakes also. I bake tilapia every morning for breakfast and I'm full a long time on that. I use EAS CarbAdvantage shakes 110 cals 17g protein 2 g sugar when I don't feel like chewing and they are portable.
  • nicoleburk
    nicoleburk Posts: 10
    Options
    Talking with a dietician that knows your medical history is a very key element to your weight loss. She will teach you how to eat for your condition and help you set realistic goals. Give it a try, I did and she really helped me to see what i need to eat and how much to exersise based on MY body and life style ...
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Turkey!! So low in fat and so high in protein! (depends if there's a fridge at work or not) You can jus get some protein shakes if you want a hit of protein, they're really low in fat and I've got some very tasty ones now.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have PCOS and roughly lose 1.5lbs a week. Feel free to friend me to see my diary (although I'll admit I've not been great the last two weeks). I find the key to managing weight loss through PCOS is a low GI diet within my calorie allowance set by MFP- which means wholegrain carbs instead of whites, vegetables, lean proteins, lots of natural foods (seeds etc.), no processed crap!

There's more details about the diet here http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/ but basically, with PCOS, we don't always process sugar correctly (a bit like a less severe version of diabetes). The excess sugar that we can't process, we store as fat, which is why it's important to eat foods that release sugars into our bloodstream slowly - and really cut down on refined sugars (which aren't found in all the foods you may think of when you hear the word "sugar" - whilst neither are good for you white bread is actually far worse than a bit of chocolate on the GI scale). It's medically proven to be one of the best, if not THE best diet for PCOS sufferers (I think it's the best, and whilst low carbing also has great results, it's harder to maintain than Low GI).

I exercise quite a lot, so usually eat between 1500 and 1700 calories a day, but here's my menu for today (I can't exercise because of a PCOS appointment after work).

Breakfast - Fat free milk and 50g organic muesli
    Lunch - 100g pasta (made from egg as opposed to just dough so it's lower GI) with spinach and pinenuts, 210g salad (cucumber, lettuce, cherry tomatoes) with 30g honey & mustard dressing, 130g strawberries
    After lunch (because I have my appointment I'll be eating late, but on days I exercise I have like, breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, after gym protein, dinner) - Dried fruit, sunflower seeds
    Dinner - Salmon and salad

This is all around 1200 calories.

I've upped my protein levels and usually have around 80-100g of protein a day (when I'm exercising) because I'm building muscle, and I do have protein shakes (Optimum Health brand) or protein bars on days that I exercise to up it a little - protein rich foods include chicken, turkey, fish, some nuts, yoghurt etc.

A great book I can recommend is "The Low GI guide to Managing PCOS" by Professor. Jennie Brand-Miller. It's about 5-6pounds on amazon.

Good luck - it's very possible to diet with PCOS and you can do it!
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i also would recommend looking at the G.I diet
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too so IR of course!

I was on metforming but the side effects were horrible! Then I read about them online so I stopped it. Then I started reading about diet and lifestyle change that would help PCOS. From from my reading lower carb generally helps ... but this umbraella a large group so I wouuld tell you read about the possiblities and try them ou!

I myself follow a Primal ...Mediterrnean style lifestyle. I have lost 35lbs in 3m.

Here is another thread on PCOS - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/236338-losing-weight-with-pcos