Fat or Calories??

Options
What is better when trying to lose weight? Something that is lower in fat but higher in calories, or something low in calories but higher in fat? thanks, i need all the tips i can get! :happy:

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Depends, what type of fat is it? If trans far then avoid it... if its the healthier choices like what you get from nuts, fish, olive oil etc.... If the fat fits into your day then go for it, I'm about to have my almond/cashew mix that I didn't get to have at work.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I agree that it depends on the type of fat. I actually make a conscious choice to include fat in my diet even though I know it's adding calories. I include extra virgin olive oil, fatty salmon, nuts and avocados. I have very low cholesterol, My LDL and VLDL are very low, but my HDL is also low so I try make sure I'm getting plenty of omega 3s (and also fiber) in order to raise my HDL:LDL ratio. from merely "acceptable" to "optimal".

If I had to choose between something low-fat or low-calories, I would make the decision based on which item had healthier ingredients.