FA CUP Final BBQ Menu

Laurab_1986
Laurab_1986 Posts: 32 Member
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
Hey Guys & Gals

Were having a BBQ on Saturday for the footie, I know this is gna cause disaster on the scales but at least its a Saturday and I can have an entire week to burn off some of the cals.

What do u recommend we cook as low fat treats???

Luv Loz xxxx

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Make some chicken breast kebabs. Thread chunks on skewers with peppers, mushrooms and sliced onion. Pork steaks barbecue well and are nice and low in fat. Try throwing a couple of sardines on the grill for a Mediterranean twist too.

Serve with loads of salad and avoid the buns - the bread adds calories like you wouldn't believe!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    you could marinate some nice big prawns in some chille and garlic (or whatever takes your fancy) and stick on to skewers and grill, quite low fat, good for protein too.

you could do some nice veggie skewers too, courgettes, peppers, red onions tomatoes etc, you could put some halumi (sp) on them as well

some cous cous would go down well i would imagine, some home made coleslaw, plenty of salad stuff.

for pudding you could use the bbq to brown up some pinapple chunks, serve with greek yoghurt and honey (sprig of mint for a touch of finese lol)
  • Laurab_1986
    Laurab_1986 Posts: 32 Member
    Ohhh ur making me hungry just thinking about it - cheers xxxx
  • vladikavkaz
    vladikavkaz Posts: 137 Member

some cous cous would go down well i would imagine

Hard to cook on the BBQ though...

:tongue:
  • Matt_S_1978
    Matt_S_1978 Posts: 150 Member
    I sometimes wish we had a garden :( sucks not being able to do a bbq !!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    sounds like a good time.

Not too stoked about the clubs in the FA final though :/
  • Matt_S_1978
    Matt_S_1978 Posts: 150 Member
    sounds like a good time.

Not too stoked about the clubs in the FA final though :/

Was that an intentional pun ?? lol

edit: this website really needs to use html in posts. when you said 'stoked' referring to the team in it is what I meant
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Here are a few tasty low cal BBQ meats/side dishes you could have:

- Chargrilled chicken breast, marinated in some nandos marinade (I like the hot piri piri one!) then served in a wholemeal pitta pocket with salad.

- Salmon/ tuna or swordfish marinated in terkyaki marinade.

- Salmon/ Tuna or swordfish topped with a little pesto.

- Kofta kebabs- made with seasoned lean turkey mince (or extra lean beef/pork) mixed with an egg then wrapped around wooden skewers (which have been soaked in water for at least 20 mins to stop them burning). refrigerate until firm (about 2 hours) Then grill.

- Turkey sausages- From asda.

- Lean steak. (Small piece).

-Turkey steaks from morrisons- in plain, chinese or spicy flavour (these are yummy).

-Asparagus sticks wrapped in parma ham. Finished on the BBQ.

-Quorn sausages

- Pitta bread slices with tzatziki or salsa (For a nibble)

-Greek salad.

- Home made coleslaw- minus the mayo: Shredded white or red cabbage, onions & carrot dressed with white wine vinegar, a little olive oil, wholegrain mustard & lemon juice.

- Marinated olives/artichokes. (another good nibble)

- grilled mini corn on the 'cobettes'

- Grilled halloumi on a big grilled portabello mushroom.

- Sardines/ mackrel/ trout (whole fish) brushed with curry paste/harissa paste

- Chargrilled firm polenta slices.

-BBQ'd Chicory halves drizzled in balsamic vinegar (these sound odd but are great)

-Quinoa/ cous cous mixed with 2 tsp harissa paste. and fresh corriander.

Obvoiously not ALL of the above- it wouldn't be healthy on your body or wallet-lol!
This discussion has been closed.