Any reward tips?

Options
Hi everyone,

I don't usually post things, but I think I really need help here. Sometimes, I am an extremely disciplined person and I can keep up with not going over my calories and then the weight comes off pretty easily. But sometimes, I just totally lose control. When I'm going out to eat for a birthday or something. I usually look at the menu before I go and choose something healthier before I even get to the restaurant, but then when I get there, I loose it for some reason and end up ordering crap (and sometimes eating even more after I get home....). I guess I just feel like when I'm eating out and I don't have total control, why even try controlling it, and I just let my calorie counting go to hell for the day.

Another pitfall I run into is rewarding myself with junk food. "Oh, you had a rough week, it's okay to have Cold Stone." Or, "it's my best friend's birthday, I can pig out today." I was wondering if anyone has any non-food related reward systems that work with them to keep them on track? Do you have other things you reward yourself with other than food for special life occasions or for losing a few pounds (other than just feeling good about it....b/c I'm having a hard time getting back there)?

Any advise would be welcome!

Replies

• carak2000
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I don't usually post things, but I think I really need help here. Sometimes, I am an extremely disciplined person and I can keep up with not going over my calories and then the weight comes off pretty easily. But sometimes, I just totally lose control. When I'm going out to eat for a birthday or something. I usually look at the menu before I go and choose something healthier before I even get to the restaurant, but then when I get there, I loose it for some reason and end up ordering crap (and sometimes eating even more after I get home....). I guess I just feel like when I'm eating out and I don't have total control, why even try controlling it, and I just let my calorie counting go to hell for the day.

Another pitfall I run into is rewarding myself with junk food. "Oh, you had a rough week, it's okay to have Cold Stone." Or, "it's my best friend's birthday, I can pig out today." I was wondering if anyone has any non-food related reward systems that work with them to keep them on track? Do you have other things you reward yourself with other than food for special life occasions or for losing a few pounds (other than just feeling good about it....b/c I'm having a hard time getting back there)?

Any advise would be welcome!

• ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    3 pairs of boots....
    I am thinkin every 10 lbs get a pair....
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I realllllly wanted a tattoo for a long time. I waited years until I met my goal (it was an academic goal, not a weight loss goal, but it would work as a big goal incentive if you wanted a tattoo.)

Others:

Manicure / pedicure (could be weekly if you were staying on the plan all week)
    Movie night (in or out)
    Buy a great novel
    Buy a new workout outfit when you meet a specific goal
    Buy new workout gear (a bike, roller blades, hand weights, etc.)
    Get a sassy haircut to flatter your new slimmer figure.
    Something to do with your hobbies or interests.
    New stationary
    Bigger rewards - remodel a room in your house or buy a new painting.

There are so many different things you could do for rewards. Have fun being creative, spoil yourself.
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    I realllllly wanted a tattoo for a long time. I waited years until I met my goal (it was an academic goal, not a weight loss goal, but it would work as a big goal incentive if you wanted a tattoo.)

Others:

Manicure / pedicure (could be weekly if you were staying on the plan all week)
    Movie night (in or out)
    Buy a great novel
    Buy a new workout outfit when you meet a specific goal
    Buy new workout gear (a bike, roller blades, hand weights, etc.)
    Get a sassy haircut to flatter your new slimmer figure.
    Something to do with your hobbies or interests.
    New stationary
    Bigger rewards - remodel a room in your house or buy a new painting.

There are so many different things you could do for rewards. Have fun being creative, spoil yourself.

These are all great suggestions, but I would also like to add:

New clothes! Buy yourself a little black dress, new jewelry, one thing that YOU want just because you want it.
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I just try to stay away from eating out as much as possible. If I know im going to eat out I will make sure I exercise that day and maybe skip breakfast or have something REALLY low in cals like an apple.

I have never really rewarded myself before, but currently if I can go 2 weeks without going over my cals once my husband will be buying me the salon hair straightener I want. I REALLY want it so im excited for that... but also I want to prove to myself I can do it! After all its only 2 weeks right? :laugh: Once I hit that mark I will start over with a new "reward" in mind! :bigsmile:
  • stacystar
    stacystar Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Something that works for me is stickers (guess I'm still a kid at heart) I give myself a reward sticker for achieving a small goal (drink 8 oz of water) exercising each day, making healthful food choices, or whatever. I just put the sticker right on a calandar page and then I can see what I have done and I feel proud (the poor people in my life that I show the charts too--I get very excited) At the begining of each month I set a goal for myself and then if I reach that goal (a goal might be working out 4 days a week every week--or whatever I need to boost at that time) then I get a big reward. One time I wanted to take a basket making class and I could only do it if I made my goal, it was a close call and I almost didn't make it, but I really wanted to take it.

So other that stickers and basket making classes...hmmm. It's really got to be something that you want, cuz if you do not care, it is easier to give up-- I went two months without getting an over due hair cut because I didn't meet my goals.

Sometime you don't want to do big ticket rewards either--maybe something like a nice bubble bath,
    a fancy new glass to drink water from. Time to yourself if you need that or just time with friends taking a walk or a new activity (that's how I went kyaking) I'm going to stop babbling now. I hope you find your stickers
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    A night out at the:
    ballet
    symphony
    opera
    jazz club
    line dancing dive bar
    salsa dancing place
    alternative rock venue
    local football game (baseball, soccer, roller derby, etc.)

Visit the:
    Art museum
    Art gallery
    Poetry reading
    Book signing

Buy a new plant:
    dwarf fruit tree for your patio
    hanging basket
    flowers for your table
  • SkinnyMama
    SkinnyMama Posts: 146
    Options
    When I started on here my hubby bought me a gift certificate for my favorite store to buy new clothes when I reached my first goal! I taped it to my fridge and finally got to use it a month ago. I was so excited to go out and buy something fun in a smaller size. You could do this for yourself too. It was a great reminder when I went to the fridge, to make wise choices. It is a great idea to have small rewards for every day and big ones for the major goals. I have a friend who LOVES chocolate, so if she get's her exercise in during the day then she gets to have a dove chocolate. Just one, and she says that it really helps to know that she is working for the small stuff too. I am actually very competitive, so I have found that joining challenges on here really helps me. When I want to go and binge I think if I do I won't win at weigh in this week. Maybe a challenge would be motivating for you? Good Luck:bigsmile: !
  • carak2000
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone, and keep them coming! It's so nice to have a support group on this website :)

Good luck!
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    A new wardrobe?
    not only will you need it, but you can look forward to that new outfit for every 5-10 pounds you lose.