Cauliflower Rice - who knew?!

Options
So I'm looking to eliminate white and processed carbs. I'm lucky that my husband actually doesn't have the "must have a starch with every meal" mentality, but sadly I do! So we've been eating quinoa and sometimes sweet potatoes, but I was after something else that would give me the texture that I'm after (because let's face it, 90% of the appeal of rice is texture, not eye popping flavour!) So last night I made "cauliflower rice" from the Primal Blueprint cookbook - nothing to it really, just very lightly steaming a head of cauliflower and then running it through the grating plate on a food processor and seasoning it a bit.

I'm SHOCKED at how it totally served its purpose - gave the texture I was looking for and nicely carried the sauce that went with the chicken I made (Morroccan Chicken from the same cookbook - very yummy even with chicken breasts rather than thighs!) AND added another serving of veg to the meal!

Anyone else come across anything similar that I can add to my arsenal?

Replies

• iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Lovely, innit?! My pals look at me like I'm crazy, but it's a very pleasing texture and taste :)
  • irdietinfo
    irdietinfo Posts: 29
    Options
    I love cauliflower mash for the same reason!
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    You can mash the cauliflower, too. If you're eating dairy it's great with some buttermilk or greek yogurt. Just make sure you steam the cauliflower thoroughly and let it sit for a bit to give up some of it's water before you get started with the mashing. You can add curry powder or cumin for some zing if you're bored with any spices you might normally put in mashed potatoes.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Ooh, top tip, Pixietoes :)
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Had it last night and hated it. Most of it went in the bin :angry: