Organic -vs- Everything Else??

Options
bbush18
bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
My hubby and I watched "Food Matters" and "Food, Inc" recently. It's a REAL eye opener. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion is on eating organic and raw.

Replies

• princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Eating organic is something that I try to do as much as I can. I shop regularly at Trader Joe's and Sprouts, a farmer's market store. They have a great abundance of these foods. Thanks to watching Food, Inc., I buy organic meats, fruits and vegetables. I feel better when I eat these foods. It's a little more expensive, but in the end, I think it's better putting money towards the food I eat rather than medical bills in the future.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I would love to eat only organic food but it costs too much and I simply can't afford it. I do however practice "clean-eating" as much as possible by eating fresh fruits & vegetables, lean protein and whole grains.
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    It has changed our life. I posted about this recently also - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/235456-consider-the-big-picture
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Organic foods often aren't vegan - they use manure from animals instead of a chemical fertilizer. So I'll take a few chemicals.

I'm also not a raw foodist. A lot of the science seems incredibly dubious. One raw foodist told me about how she kept some non-organic apples in the fridge for months, to see what happened. Nothing happened, they looked fine, and she held this up as an example of how unnatural chemicals are on food.

The silly thing? That's what apples do. They keep very well, unless they become bruised or overheated. She had no control for this 'experiment', no organic apple sitting next to the chemical ones.
  • bbush18
    Options
    Eating organic is something that I try to do as much as I can. I shop regularly at Trader Joe's and Sprouts, a farmer's market store. They have a great abundance of these foods. Thanks to watching Food, Inc., I buy organic meats, fruits and vegetables. I feel better when I eat these foods. It's a little more expensive, but in the end, I think it's better putting money towards the food I eat rather than medical bills in the future.

I agree! We've decided to start really watching what we eat. And you're absolutely right--spending more on the right ffods now will DEFINATELY be cheaper than medical bills that could have been avoided in the future.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Organic foods often aren't vegan - they use manure from animals instead of a chemical fertilizer. So I'll take a few chemicals.

Sorry, I'm honestly not trying to poke fun here- I really want to know this. What is the moral basis (if any) for not eating something grown in animal poop?
  • dengarrett
    Options
    Our society has become dependent on the low cost of food produced by the food industry. As such, I mean no disparaging remarks towards those that can't afford to spend more on food. But the healthy way to view this is "it costs leas to eat poorly than it does to eat healthy". Other cultures spend a lot more of their income on food than we do in the us and they are healthier as a result.
  • dengarrett
    Options
    One very interesting point in "Omnivore's Dilema" is that in the broad scope, it is impossible for us to eat without causing the death of animals. Even if you decide to eat only plants - what happens to the mice, moles, etc. when you plow the earth to plant the food? So, if your interest is to cause the least number of animal deaths, then eat the largest animal that you can grow for food purposes - which would be the cow.
  • bbush18
    Options
    ok, so i'm really trying to understand what the usda deems "organic." to help clarify, what are synthetic pesticides??
  • ladysown
    ladysown Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i frankly could care less if something is organically grown or not. in some places it's meaningless... oh yeah...it's organic (in that I let it run around my barn and eat whatever it wants) but oh.. my neighbours sprays his fields, and last year I used to do that but I don't this year anymore.

Whereas with others it truly is organic in that... they are surrounded by bush so no overspray happens, they've been a non-spraying, non-chemical using fertilizer user for at least seven years.

Until better legislation is put into place buying organic is a "buyer beware" market.

I can grow my own lettuce, carrots, beans, peas etc. It's relatively organic...but I don't know.. is it truly organic since I fertilize my gardens using rabbit manure and they eat a commercially made pellet. See where it gets sticky?

Unless you grow ALL your own food for your livestock, and produce ALL your own fertilizer how can you truly say that you are really organic and have ZERO overspray from neighbours and have been doing it long enough that all the residues are out of the soil....You can't really say it. Just be alert to what you are truly purchasing.
  • bbush18
    Options
    ladiesown--thanks for the insight!! :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I watched "Food Matters" and "Food, Inc" recently. It's a REAL eye opener. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion is on eating organic and raw.

Free range and grass fed beef, pork, poultry, eggs and dairy are non-negotiable. I already felt this way before watching those documentaries. After watching them, it was really reinforced.

As far as fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds go - I stick with buying organic on the "dirty dozen" which is now the dirty fifteen...... Here is the list that I must buy organic. Everything else is either way depending on our food budget.

12 Most Contaminated

Peaches
    Apples
    Sweet Bell Peppers
    Celery
    Nectarines
    Strawberries
    Cherries
    Pears
    Grapes (Imported)
    Spinach
    Lettuce
    Potatoes
  • Jb8885
    Jb8885 Posts: 126
    Options
    I definetly try to eat as organic and natural as possible, but it does get quite expensive. I usually just do meat, eggs, soymilk, and fuits and vegetables that have no skin to peel.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    I watched it, agreed with it, and then ate some ice cream.
    Can't eat organic all the time, hard to shop organically or locally where I live.

I understand the dangers and their reasoning, but as I've said before, there's no escaping toxins and pollution in today's world. I just eat what I can and do what I can to minimize the damage or build myself up to try and combat these harms.
  • Barelmy
    Options

Sorry, I'm honestly not trying to poke fun here- I really want to know this. What is the moral basis (if any) for not eating something grown in animal poop?

...because it's taken from the same farming industry that gives us dairy, meat, and eggs. If people were wandering around behind wild animals picking it up, that'd be different.
  • Barelmy
    Options
    One very interesting point in "Omnivore's Dilema" is that in the broad scope, it is impossible for us to eat without causing the death of animals. Even if you decide to eat only plants - what happens to the mice, moles, etc. when you plow the earth to plant the food? So, if your interest is to cause the least number of animal deaths, then eat the largest animal that you can grow for food purposes - which would be the cow.

What do you think the cow ate? And how do you think they got those plants?

The least number of deaths is caused by eating the plants directly - not growing the plants, feeding them to another animal, and then eating that animal.
  • Barelmy
    Options
    To add; 12lbs of grain, 55 square feet of rainforest, and 2500 gallons of water, per 1lb of beef.

You are not seriously suggesting that turning that 12lbs of grain into twenty-four plates of pasta is worse than consuming that, plus 55 square feet of rainforest, plus 2500 gallons of water, plus a cow, are you?
  • darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I eat mainly organic foods. I'm also vegan. Aside from my extreme sensitivity to chemicals I would have to imagine the pesticides and herbicides used on crops are also tested on animals. Not to mention that since we have no labeling laws for GMO foods in america the organic label is the only things that will keep that out of your diet. So think again about eating that chemical laden tomato that has been crossed with salmon genes.