Running and heat...

Options
My runs have been sluggish (at best) and much shorter because of the heat. Other than making sure to stay hudrated does anyone have any tips?

Replies

• LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    No tips, but I completely understand. It's 90 degrees when I get a chance to run. So, I don't. NOT GOOD! Maybe I'll make myself do it today.

Interested in tips too....
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Every 10 degrees (F) adds roughly 5bpm to your heart rate, so slow down accordingly. Keeping hydrated DURING the run will help, but watch your electrolyte balance, and don't overhydrate.

Finally, if it's too hot, consider moving indoors or skipping the run altogether.
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    It's not quite that hot here (yet), but I'm going to start running in the early morning (very soon).... right now morning is still a lot cooler than evening. Later in the summer when it is also "hot" in the morning, I might join a gym.....
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Can you run early morning or later in the evening? Active.com usually has some good tips on running. Living in MI...if I can run in the am on hot days....I hit the treadmill...not always fun but I know I will talk myself out of it if it is too hot.
  • saphire76
    saphire76 Posts: 102
    Options
    No tips, but I completely understand. It's 90 degrees when I get a chance to run. So, I don't. NOT GOOD! Maybe I'll make myself do it today.

Interested in tips too....

Off subject but my sons bday is may 25 th also! God bless him.

I just started c25k I think it's gonna be really hot in a few weeks hope I can finish.
    I hate the heat.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    Can you run really early in the morning or late in the evenings?
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Good Lawd, I ran yesterday around 3:00 and it was 90°F. I was so much slower and was panting like a dog but I burned a ridiculous amount of calories.

To say hydrated they have hydration belts that have water bottle holders on it. I don't have one but numerous runners have told me that they aren't that clunky and are necessary on longer runs. I usually just carry a water bottle in my hand, but it does get annoying.

I think when I reach my next goal I'll get a belt at least for my training runs!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I've always been one of those people that love hot weather, even when I was carrying a lot of extra weight. Now I like hot weather even more. I love to get out there and have every bit of my clothes drenched when I'm done. However, I learned my lesson about running during the heat of the day. I either go before the sun comes up, take it inside to a track (never a treadmill, I don't even know what those are), or wait till evening.

Hydration is a preperation thing. When it's time to run, ride, swim, play whatever, it's go time. Hydration is done before or after. If I'm going less than 30 minutes I don't even bring water. Longer than that I do, but even then you're not replacing more than what you're losing.

...and don't put sunscreen above your eyes. Use a hat. That was a trial and error thing.

Hope that helps.