Church/Work potlucks?

Options
We have a church picnic coming up in a couple weekends, for which everyone brings a potluck dish to. (We will be bringing Strawberry Broccoli salad).

How do you go about tracking these in your food diary? Since everything is so different, and there is no telling what they use in their food, how in the world do you track it? Do you just bring your own meal to the potluck? Only eat what you bring?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Replies

• david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would relax and enjoy it and just guestimate the cals! Have a nice time, and chill out a bit :)
  • sar586
    sar586 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was in WW last year and there was a girl who had lost over 100 pounds in 7 or 8 months. She was talking to everyone about different strategies she had used and this was one of the topics. Whenever she went to a picnic, she'd pack her own entire lunch and that was what she would eat. She wanted to be sure she was eating in a controlled environment and knew EXACTLY how many calories she was eating.

If you don't want to go to that extreme, I'd say just stick with foods that you are sure are healthier. Fruits, veggies, etc. If you can't resist something that looks great, look it up on the database and do your best to track. Every day isn't going to be perfect. If this is going to be a lifestyle change, it has to work with your life style. Try to get a little extra exercise in that day to help out!
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My last job was verrry famous for having random lunches & meals brought in. I used to get what I wanted, but get a little of it. I would get more of the healthy stuff, but I wouldn't deny myself a cookie or brownie. (: That way, you can kind of sample everything & enjoy yourself w/out overthinking it. I did log them on MFP--guesstimation as to the serving size, but generally--if it was a potato salad, I'd just log it as that, nothing fancy.

:D
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I would take very small portions of the things that appeal to you and enjoy them. You won't always be able to log your calories every single day for the rest of your life, so just try to make smart choices, relax and enjoy yourself.
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I was in WW last year and there was a girl who had lost over 100 pounds in 7 or 8 months. She was talking to everyone about different strategies she had used and this was one of the topics. Whenever she went to a picnic, she'd pack her own entire lunch and that was what she would eat. She wanted to be sure she was eating in a controlled environment and knew EXACTLY how many calories she was eating.
    WOW! I'd do the same! I mean - losing 100 pounds in 8 months is some serious stuff! I have no problem packing my own lunch. I love this idea. Especially if it gets my results like this girl you're mentioning!

If you don't want to go to that extreme, I'd say just stick with foods that you are sure are healthier. Fruits, veggies, etc. If you can't resist something that looks great, look it up on the database and do your best to track. Every day isn't going to be perfect. If this is going to be a lifestyle change, it has to work with your life style. Try to get a little extra exercise in that day to help out!
    I usually do this, myself. I eat fruits and vegetables that haven't been prepared (no sauces, no toppings, etc.) because I KNOW the calories for those! Those are guess free! Most dishes at potlucks (although you won't possibly know how they were REALLY prepared) are probably prepared in a typical, normal way. If you're eating greenbean casserole, you can probably assume it was prepared in a normal way. Just do your best to estimate it. Eat very small portions of these questionable items and very large portions of vegetables.

Also - I love to bring a little index card to put on the dish that I bring. I indicate the name of the dish, the serving size, the calories, and then other info. that might be important (is it vegetarian? vegan? diabetic-friendly?). The more YOU do that, the more OTHERS will do that. It's really helpful! Not everyone is trying to lose weight, but there ARE a lot of people who have a special diet (for hypoglycemia, diabetes, vegetarianism, etc.).

Good luck! Drink lots of water! Make good choices!!!
  • Shutterpillar
    Shutterpillar Posts: 208
    Options
    Also - I love to bring a little index card to put on the dish that I bring. I indicate the name of the dish, the serving size, the calories, and then other info. that might be important (is it vegetarian? vegan? diabetic-friendly?). The more YOU do that, the more OTHERS will do that. It's really helpful! Not everyone is trying to lose weight, but there ARE a lot of people who have a special diet (for hypoglycemia, diabetes, vegetarianism, etc.).

Good luck! Drink lots of water! Make good choices!!!

That is a really great idea! I will definitely do that with my dish and hope it catches on!

Thank you everyone, for the awesome advice. :)