Energy levels/suppliments

Options
So, I went to my CKO (kickboxing) class last night, and I felt totally drained of energy...not tired from my work out, more just drained.

I'm not sure if it's that I should be eating more carbs before a workout (approx 3 hrs before) or if I need addtional suppliments.

Anyone have any insite?

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Do you use your food diary? Being able to take a look would be helpful.

I find that eating good carbs about 1.5 hours before a workout does the trick. Ensuring a little protein / carb blend afterwards, especially for demanding workouts.

Otherwise, ensure you're hydrating throughout the day and getting enough sleep.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have my food diary open...but haven't been logging every day. I did, however log yesterday.

I drink at least 64oz of water daily, and try to get enough sleep. I wake up at 5:30 am and my work out was at 6:30 last night...but I think that should have been ok...

Anyway, feel free to look at the food diary...let me know your thoughts.
  • gp79
    Options
    Maybe your diary is open to friends only. I cannot see it.
  • NYCDutchess
    Options
    Yep :) It was...srry.
  • gp79
    Options
    It's hard to tell since you're not logging a whole lot, like you said.

My best recommendation is to log literally everything that passes between your lips. This creates awareness, which is important to have before you can effectively start to make changes which you can feel.

Try it, if just for a week. I'm a little obsessive about my diary, but have a look if you wish.

Generally speaking, you want to consume 1g of protein for every lb of lean body mass. You want to consume about 20% more carbs than protein...carbs = energy. When you eat carbs, eat good carbs, not bad carbs. If you're not sure of the difference, I'd suggest doing some hunting around on google.

Education and awareness are the building blocks.
  • NYCDutchess
    Options
    Thanks...I'm VERY aware of carbs, I try to stay low. But I guess on workout days I'll have to take in more.

I was logging religiously, then kinda fell off the logging...but I'm doing pretty well, seeing a tightning in my core..now to loose this fat so my 6 pck can actually show lol...

I'll keep logging...I'm just really busy and sometimes logging is time consuming.