What counts as "exercise"??

Options
im fairly new on here and just wondered what i should add as exercise.

I walk most days as part of my exercise programme -- usually do around 4-5km after the school drop off. I did this today.

Then i walked to my friends house which is another 15 mins, from there we went into our local town centre another 15 min walk and spent 2 hours walking around the shops before walking home.

Do i add the almost 3 hours i spent walking even thought it was at a slow pace to my exercise or doesnt it count? Its not something i would do everyday.

I dont add the 20 min school run that i walk twice a day as i see that as normal routine, same as ive seen some people add hoovering etc....but i do those everyday so dont see it as exercise as being a sahm im constantly on the go cleaning tidying and running round after my family.

What do you think actually counts as exercise??

Replies

• jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Up to you... personally I would only count the time you spend walking with a purpose, your 5K that you did and the 15 minutes there and back to your friends house, I wouldn't count the 2 hours walking around shopping... unless you wore a heart rate monitor. then count it all minus your 'normal living' calories... just because this site tends to way overestimate how many calories people actually burn
  • loseatonlady
    loseatonlady Posts: 160
    Options
    I agree! Count your "intended excercise" =)
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    from what I understand, it's stuff you don't normally do it a day. I walk 30 mins at lunch, and put that in, I bike 30-60 mins, and put that in, but i don't put the walking around stores or at work or around the yard visiting with my dogs :)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Up to you... personally I would only count the time you spend walking with a purpose, your 5K that you did and the 15 minutes there and back to your friends house, I wouldn't count the 2 hours walking around shopping... unless you wore a heart rate monitor. then count it all minus your 'normal living' calories... just because this site tends to way overestimate how many calories people actually burn

Agree--count your intended exercise only. The rest is just a part of life :) You would not want to eat back too many calories that really were not burned.
  • RubyA2011
    RubyA2011 Posts: 66
    Options
    Eating back too many calories was my biggest worry by if i did add them.
    will just stick to what i consider exercise!

thanks guys :flowerforyou: