Cycling vs. spinning vs. trainer

Options
Hello, all. I've been riding my bike about 3-4 times a week now for the past 3 months or so, and I decided since the weather was kinda crappy here last night I'd take a spinning class at our gym. (Plus, I want to see what a spinning class is like in case I'd like to do that during in the winter) I thought, hey, this won't be so bad. I can ride up to 20 miles now easily and I've drastically improved my cardio endurance, so this should be a piece of cake. BOY, was I WRONG! :noway: I don't think I've ever sweat so much in my life and I really thought I could keep up with the ladies (and one guy) in the class. Wrong on that one, too!

My first question is, have any of you fellow cyclists discovered the same? That riding your bike is *much* easier than one of these classes, or am I just in worse shape than I think I am? I left not only soaking wet and worn out, but pretty defeated because I just simply could not do what all of the other people in the class were doing for as long as they were doing it, which was mainly standing and pedaling for extended periods of time. I mean as far as getting down and pedaling my heart out, I could definitely do that! It's just the standing and pedaling that killed my legs. My legs were shaking so bad, it was as if I was back to square one a few months ago, just starting out riding my bike.

I got a good workout which was my ultimate goal, but geez! I don't know what I expected I was getting in to, but it sure wasn't to get my butt kicked by a spinning bike!

My other question is, what would the difference be if I just put my bike on a trainer and used it that way? Would I still get the same cardio benefit plus keeping my body (i.e. rear) acclimated to riding so much? I suppose since the bike is fitted to me, it would help in that respect. My rear is killing me today b/c the angle of the spinning seat was off from the angle I have my bike set at. (Which is easily fixable) And yes, I showed up to my class in my padded shorts. :bigsmile: I believe I was the ONLY one there in 'em.

Replies

• Lisa_May_2011
    Options
    Spinning is SOOOO much harder than cycling! I've been doing both for the last year, and find that I get a much harder workout from spinning. However, that is what it is designed to do - its a high intensity fat burning class, utilising interval training....so don't be disheartened, just mix it up!!

You'll actually find cycling outside the spinning classes much easier after you've been spinning for a few weeks :-)

So long as you are able to control the amount of resistance, and use interval training techniques, then you could probably use your bike on a trainer..

Hope that helps!!
  • Refisblind
    Refisblind Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thats a great story. I sweat my *kitten* off too in spin class. I even bring in 4 towels to clean up my mess. The biggest difference is when you are riding on the road you find times to take breaks from pedaling when in class you are constant. However when you are on the road and you come to a hill you cant just turn the knob to make it easier so it requires you to use all your skills. Outside you are also staying cooled off by the breeze as you are going and sweat is taken off you from the sun. Pushing yourself equal I would say the road is the better overall workout but I like to mix it up because they both have their benifits. By the way it is normal in most places that everyone wears their biking shorts to class.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do alot of cycling and I can tell you that from a starting point you did well to last the class, Spinning is mainly an interval class which is designed to spike your heart rate to push your fitness to its limits you will get fitter alot quicker this way.The trainer can be used in the same way as I do 2/3 sessions a week even in summer time and they last up to 1 hour and its a better work out then 3 hours on bike in lanes sometimes. So I would do a bit of each say 1 session on home trainer 1 spinning class and a nice ride, you can use the TACX web site to give you some good plans to use or just do a very simple 10 min warm up then 10/15 mins of 1 min all out 1 min rest then warm down and build up the duration of each sprint as you feel stronger.It also depends on what you want as spinning and trainer work concentrait on speed and not endurance.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who has every walked out of their first spinning class without feeling like they have been beaten to a pulp... It take a few sessions for you to know how to adjust your resistance so you can last the session, and for your body to adapt to the style of workout.

Its about the only fitness class I would consider going to - although in fairness I haven't been to one in years.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Bump-I'd like to see peoples comments.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I have taken one spinning class a week for the last month and yes, they kick your *kitten*. I really love it now. I would never ride like that when I'm cycling. I couldn't ride a full 30-40 miles if I pushed myself that hard. What I have noticed is that it has been a HUGE help with my cycling and hill climbing. I do feel like I'm going to die after a class but it is so worth it. After a few classes I have also noticed that I am keeping up with the people who have been in there before me. If you keep up with it I guarantee you will really appreciate the benefits of it. The only drawback I have found is that I break out on my face from sweating so much.

Oh, and you are so right about the angle of the seats on a spinning bike. It is so uncomfortable! Our teacher makes us sit upright a lot and it kills my tail bone.
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It's good to know that how I felt after the class is NORMAL. Really, I felt like I had just been beat up and was out of my league -- and I shouldn't have been. The person teaching said that if this was your first class, it would be the most difficult, and for some reason, I guess I thought for some reason that wouldn't apply to me. (I'm not normally a cocky person, but c'mon--I ride my bike like a maniac!) I was also spinning next to a woman who said it was her 4th class and she's finding it a lot easier than when she first started. (And it was only her 2nd week!)

I want to keep going to spinning plus riding my bike like normal and we'll see. If anything, I'm getting one helluva cardio workout either way. And hopefully, it'll make me stronger. I sure know I worked out parts of my legs that apparently I don't when I ride my bike because parts of my glutes and hamstrings are sore today that normally aren't after a long bike ride.

Now as far as trainers go, is there some way to adjust the resistance on those? I don't know much about them.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Depends on what one you have you can get a basic one that has 5 levels of resistance or a more expensive one that is calabrated to your bike and has a range of different resisitance so yes but, If I was you I would have a look on around for the best one to suit your needs as in value ofr money.
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Depends on what one you have you can get a basic one that has 5 levels of resistance or a more expensive one that is calabrated to your bike and has a range of different resisitance so yes but, If I was you I would have a look on around for the best one to suit your needs as in value ofr money.

Thanks for the info!
  • cpackwood05
    cpackwood05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As far as resistance goes there are several levels on the spinning bikes. When a teacher says to put your bike on moderate then that is usually where the pedals are a touch harder to pedal but you could pedal at that level for a while. Then when they say hard that is when you start feeling the burn in your legs and the pedals get sticky. A lot of teachers want you to keep the RPM's up like around 70or 80 so I suggest that when they want you pedaling that fast you should be at easy to moderate. Hope this helps but honestly once you start doing the classes for a while, then you will know your own fitness level and get your won resistances down.
  • slainte35
    slainte35 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I mountain bike frequently in the spring, summer and fall. I remember my first spinning class that I took years back and thought it would be a piece of cake. I was wrong. It kicked my butt pretty good and I thought I was gonna puke. Now after taking spinning classes for a while I am much better at it (and I never feel like I did after that first class) and it has helped my mountain biking.