Screwed up my shoulder :( ~Rant~

Options
Warning...Ranting ahead...

Okay, so several years ago I injured my shoulder. I ended up with a tiny hairline fracture of the bone, which didn't require surgery. I've re-injured it several times since then, and the newest time being yesterday. I started the 30 Day Shred yesterday. So it looks like I won't be able to do it. At least not the whole thing. This is so so frustrating for me! I was so excited! It wasn't hurting when I was doing it yesterday, so I thought I'd be okay. I guess I was wrong. So now I get to go to the doctor, and basically be told I can't use it for a while. This sucks... it just flat out sucks... why do I have to have issues with my freaking shoulder!?!?! So I guess it's a lot of walking in my future. No chest flys, no jumping jacks, no pushups, no nothing that requires my arm lifted out to the side of my body, and nothing that puts too much pressure on my shoulder joint... Yay...

Replies

• GingerDarlene
    GingerDarlene Posts: 164
    Options
    Can you try other cardio classes and not lift your arm on that side?
  • sunsnowlover
    sunsnowlover Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've had a few shoulder surgeries and am limited in what I can do. I have embraced the road bike and the bike trainer, the elliptical, pilates (with limitations) and really specific shoulder exercises. I have found that by statying on my physical therapy program all the time rather than just after surgeries it makes my shoulders strong and less likely to injure, but in those videos with stuff that I can't do, i insert a different exercise. Hope that helps you, I know how frustrtating it can be when you can't do what everyone else is doing. If you do need a great surgeon, let me know.
    Good luck
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I injured my shoulder Dec of 2009. I had a partial tear of my rotator cuff. It did not require surgery. I did 6 weeks of physical therapy and then I had to have cortisol injections. I gained a ton of weight after those injections.

It was 6 months before I could sleep on it. I have come a long way though. When I first injured it my coffee cup was too heavy to hold. I still have trouble with my shoulder, and truthfully it pisses me off. I can not do simple things, like pick up my kids, or life a 5 pound weight.

I walk a lot. I want to do more, but I know my limitations. Good luck!!
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    I feel for you! I injured mine almost 2 years ago and it took awhile to get back its full use. After you are done ranting, raging (maybe cocktail or two?) I recommend that you work with someone to (Physical therapist/trainer?) and get a program together that works with your injury that includes some sort of muscle building.

I didn't do that and instead just took up bike riding as it was low impact and I lost all my muscle tone and dropped my BMR by 300 points a day! If I knew then what I know now I would have done something to keep working the 90% of my muscles that did work and just babied my shoulder. Some ideas would be working with resistance bands or light weights to keep the lean muscles I once had.

Good luck and I hope you heal soon!