Losing weigh while gaining muscle

Options
Hello everybody. I'm here to lose a little weight (bout 13 lbs) and gain some muscle (or at least a lot of strength). Anybody in that boat? Friend me please.

Replies

• rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I believe it is very difficult to gain muscle whilst losing weight... or do you mean lose fat? To build muscle you need to eat at a calorie surplus, to lose weight you need a calorie defecit... gaining muscle/ maintaining lean mass and losing fat is possible, but difficult... you need to be careful about your diet and the deficit shouldn't be too big.
    I am currently trying to 'lose body fat' without necessarily losing weight, but so far I have lost a little weight and bf% has stayed the same!

To get 'big' muscles, you need to be eating maintenance or above to feed the muscle. It is very difficult to make significant increases in muscle whilst on the calorie deficit required to lose weight/ fat, which is why a lot of bodybuilders do the 'bulk' followed by 'cutting.' I am not saying it is impossible, just difficult! I have been reading and asking a lot about this topic :)

At any rate, you want to make sure you are eating sufficient protein- 1 gram per pound bodyweight, I think it is, or more, eat clean and lift weights with some cardio.

I am by no means an expert, so hopefully you will get some more informative advice!

What is your training program like?