Fat Loss Monitor question?

Options
MissKim
MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
So, I'm just curious for those of you that use a fat loss monitor to measure your body fat percentages. About how many pounds do you have to lose to see a difference in bodyfat percentage? What has your experiences been with losing bodyfat? What has gotten you the fastest results? Do you use a scale too to measure weight? How much difference should I be seeing in a month's time?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    my scale has a built in body fat measurer thingy (does that count?)
    I started at 248 lbs & 48% BF. At 169, I'm 35.4%
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    So, I'm just curious for those of you that use a fat loss monitor to measure your body fat percentages. About how many pounds do you have to lose to see a difference in bodyfat percentage? What has your experiences been with losing bodyfat? What has gotten you the fastest results? Do you use a scale too to measure weight? How much difference should I be seeing in a month's time?

All of this depends. If you do it wrong you can lose lbs but not fat (muscle loss).

I have found intermittent fasting to help with fat loss.

I do use a scale but also have a hand held electronic BF monitor. I thought it was way off until I went and got measured in a Bod Pod. The readings were the exact same.

As far as "how much difference in a months time?" Hate to be vague but, again, it depends. Everyone's body is different. Some shed fat faster than others.
  • MissKim
    Options
    Thank's Y'all, I ask b/c I've only seen a 1 or 2 % difference every month. Just wonder if that's about what it should be. I know if I would step it up in the working out dept it would be better. I need to be lifting weights.

How do you do your IF???
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    How do you do your IF???

I try to do it as close to LeanGains as possible but my schedule doesn't permit it.

I eat when I wake up (around 4:30-5am) and then I fast. When I get home at 5:15-5-30pm I drink my BCAA's & Jack3D and then workout. After workout I eat at about 7ish.

It's not a full 16 hours but it's working plus I have cut out the costs of buying/packing lunch during the week. I do adhere to the full 16 hour LeanGains fast on Sat/Sun.
  • MissKim
    Options
    I don't know if I could be that devoted Dan! Does skipping breakfast count?? like if I didn't eat past 6 or 7 pm and then didn't eat til lunchtime the next day?
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Hey Kim - it all depends on if you are losing fat, losing muscle & fat, or losing fat and gaining muscle on how that number changes. If it is going down as you lose weight - then you are fine. You just don't want it to increase as you lose weight - that would mean you are losing muscle!

I have been using a handheld body fat analyzer to track, and it seems I lose a little bit when I lose weight now, but then again I should be since I am doing strength training & cardio. So right on target. :smile: it's the overall pattern / trend you should be interested in right now!
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    I don't know if I could be that devoted Dan! Does skipping breakfast count?? like if I didn't eat past 6 or 7 pm and then didn't eat til lunchtime the next day?

That would work perfectly. That's how LeanGains maps it out. He stops eating at around 9pm, skips breakfast and trains at about 11-12pm the next day eating at around 1pm.

I thought this would be rough, at first, but skipping lunch now has become "old hat." I've been IF'ing this way for over a month.
  • MissKim
    Options
    Hey Kim - it all depends on if you are losing fat, losing muscle & fat, or losing fat and gaining muscle on how that number changes. If it is going down as you lose weight - then you are fine. You just don't want it to increase as you lose weight - that would mean you are losing muscle!

I have been using a handheld body fat analyzer to track, and it seems I lose a little bit when I lose weight now, but then again I should be since I am doing strength training & cardio. So right on target. :smile: it's the overall pattern / trend you should be interested in right now!

Thanks Steph, the number is going down, so I guess that's a good thing. Just not as fast as I want it too :) lol i'm gonna be as dedicated to fitness as you one day.
  • MissKim
    Options

That would work perfectly. That's how LeanGains maps it out. He stops eating at around 9pm, skips breakfast and trains at about 11-12pm the next day eating at around 1pm.

I thought this would be rough, at first, but skipping lunch now has become "old hat." I've been IF'ing this way for over a month.

cool, thanks Dan. I may try this out a couple days a week.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Thank's Y'all, I ask b/c I've only seen a 1 or 2 % difference every month. Just wonder if that's about what it should be. I know if I would step it up in the working out dept it would be better. I need to be lifting weights.

How do you do your IF???

That's pretty normal...it's a numbers game.

Body fat = weight x body fat percentage/100
    Lean mass = weight - body fat

It's all relative...take me:

140.5 lbs x .222 = 31.2 lbs of fat

In order to go down 1% I would need to lose 1.7 lbs.

(31.2-1.7)/(140.5-1.7) = .212