TRUST MFP - BMI Scan and MFP BMI calculator

Options
rileamoyer
rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
TRUST MFP Just this week I had a full body composition (BMI) scan at my medical clinic. I was extremely pleased to find out that my offical BMI and the MFP BMI calculations were only 1/2 of a point different. So for those folks who are concerned with the calculator - it is pretty accurate. Both use my height, weight, sex and age. :happy:

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Good to know but did you mean BMR? The BMI is just a chart of a healthy weight, there is no debate there (other than the fact it doesn't account for muscle weight). Did this test tell you anything about how many calories you burn during exercise and if this compares to MFP's calculations?
  • rileamoyer
    Options
    This was strictly for body compostion, nothing about BMR, calories etc. Ratio's of fat to muscle etc. I have found - comparing to my own heart monitor that Calories burned on MFP are a bit low, but if you use them you will be fine (worked for me for over 10 months). However, based on everyones vital statistics calories burned will vary for the same exercise. I just believe that MFP creators have done a bang up job of getting formulas in this system that are trustworthy.
  • JulianDaley
    JulianDaley Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you haven't got BMI (body mass index) and body fat percentage mixed up?

BMI is simply weight divided by height squared (using metric units).

I think you probably had your body composition checked which gives you the percentage of your bodyweight that is fat (rather than bone/muscle etc).

It can be confusing because both measures can have similar values (my BMI is 26.5 and my body fat is around 29%)

Or course I might be barking up the wrong tree (an English expression, not sure how it translates to American!)

All the best,
    Julian.
  • rileamoyer
    Options
    Are you sure you haven't got BMI (body mass index) and body fat percentage mixed up?

BMI is simply weight divided by height squared (using metric units).

I think you probably had your body composition checked which gives you the percentage of your bodyweight that is fat (rather than bone/muscle etc).

It can be confusing because both measures can have similar values (my BMI is 26.5 and my body fat is around 29%)

Or course I might be barking up the wrong tree (an English expression, not sure how it translates to American!)

All the best,
    Julian.

My BMI is 23.7 on the full body scan done at the clinic and 23.2 at MFP. That is the 1/2 point difference I was talking about. My body fat is also calculated on the scan done at the clinic - it is 35.9. Just not sure what my target body fat should be, I am not an athlete. ;-)
  • JulianDaley
    JulianDaley Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 23.7 on the full body scan done at the clinic and 23.2 at MFP. That is the 1/2 point difference I was talking about. My body fat is also calculated on the scan done at the clinic - it is 35.9. Just not sure what my target body fat should be, I am not an athlete. ;-)

For a female your age I think the NIH/WHO guidelines for health body fat percentage are 24% - 36% so you are right at the top of the healthy range. Lose a few more pounds and you will be fine.

Keep up the good work,
    Julian.
  • rileamoyer
    Options
    Thanks Julian!!!!!:flowerforyou: