Cravings...

Options
I've been on MFP for almost 2 months now and I'm loving it! I've learned to eat the right amount of food everyday and I've lost 6 pounds. I however, have also learned to eat less at meals so that I still have room for the treats that I crave every day, like my salty snacks and my sweet snacks. I'm ready to kick it up a notch and start cutting out the bad stuff and only eating it once a week maybe instead of daily. Problem is, my cravings are really bad, which is obviously from years of crappy eating. Will the cravings really go away if I have enough discipline to stop eating them for long enough? I'm just not convinced that the cravings will go away. I want to eat healthy, but giving up the "crappy" food seems like it will be really hard. Will I really see a difference in my body if I give up the sweet stuff?

Replies

• HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I know personally I find a huge difference when I cut out the junk. What types of foods do you crave? Maybe there are some things you could substitute that will curve your cravings and would still be nutritional?
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Physical cravings go away and the mental cravings lessen, but I won't lie and say they totally go away!!

If you are close to your goal weight, you will most likely see a difference from giving up the "white stuff" (sugar, enriched white flour, etc). I don't think you have to go cold turkey though - you can always try switching to heathier versions of things first (I know others will disagree!) ---- Quaker Quakes instead of chips or Vitatops instead of a cupcake. Then you are still having a treat, but a healthier version of the treat.
  • Seginns
    Seginns Posts: 39
    Options
    I am the same way. Yes, if you can manage to go a few days without sweets, the cravings will stop or be greatly reduced. I've found it to be a little easier to get through those days if I keep gum on hand to chew. It's sweet, and it makes you stop and think before you put food in your mouth.
  • katrina1122
    katrina1122 Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm the same way. Don't go cold turkey from everyday to 1x per week. Go to less in one day, then every other day, etc. It's hard I know. I fell victim to a bagel just an hour ago. Also, pre-bag what you crave to the proper serving size. For example if it's cookies and the serving size is 2, but them in a snack bag and leave the kitchen, now you don't have an excuse to grab 3 from the bag.

Chin up, you'll get through...just know if you crave things you always will, fully denying yourself will just lead to bingeing on them in the end.
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    I know personally I find a huge difference when I cut out the junk. What types of foods do you crave? Maybe there are some things you could substitute that will curve your cravings and would still be nutritional?

Anything sweet...cookies, cake, brownies, chocolate and then things like gardettos and nachos.

I try to find the "healthier" versions, but about 40% of my calories probably come from snacking on these types of things. I just can't convince my mind that I don't need to eat while watching TV. I know I'm not hungry, but I'll eat anyway because I've made sure to save myself the calories, even though what I'm eating isn't good for me.

It's so nice to come here and hear feedback. I think I just need a little encouragement to slowly decrease the junk that I eat. I already feel like I can do better today than I did yesterday!