SICK of this plateau

Options
I hit a plateau about a month ago and I can't seem to break it. I have tried everything I can think of...had a few "binge" days to break it up and then hopped back on my 1200 calorie a day plan; added more exercise (and yes, I eat my exercise calories); switched up the foods that I eat; switched up the exercises I do; used weekly calories instead of daily calories (I read this somewhere and decided to give it a try). NOTHING is working. I refuse to give up this fight, but I need help. I am not going to switch to 1500 calories a day mainly because there are some days when I can't do cardio at all (I am scheduled for a hip replacement in about a month, and I am in CONSTANT pain). Any suggestions?

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    rest for three days?
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Perhaps your body is at a healthy weight, even if it is higher than you'd like it to be. I know when I lost the weight I did, I was too light at my lowest -- doesn't mean I don't want to get closer to that than I am now (I'd like to lose 5 pounds from here, and range between 130-135, instead of 135-140),
    Your body may be telling you you are where you need to be.....I'm beginning to think that myself....and truly, I'm a happy girl any time the scale reads less than 140. :wink:
    Kaye
  • litljoy2001
    litljoy2001 Posts: 79
    Options
    I did that last month and then my son got sick i couldnt work out for two days I did nothing but sit around with him all day, i still watched what i ate but had no excercise and the next week when i got back into it I lost 4 lbs in one week so I agree take a couple days to yourself and see what happens
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Eat all of the calories MFP gives you in a day and spread those extra calories back in during your day. I tend to log my workouts before I go to the gym so that helps me distribute the extra calories. If you're not eating back what you burn off on those days you will NOT lose. Your body is going into starvation mode, that's why you are not losing. Weight watchers works the very same way. There's a lot of posts on here about eating back your exercise calories, and I know it's controversial but that's how you lose the pound/week and keep it off.

Me too i log my exersie in the morning and eat slightly bigger meals that day!

Also you might find this helpfull

Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

Good luck on your journey
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I can almost guarantee that with ~15 lbs to lose, you should NOT be at 1200 (unless you're about 4'10"). You likely have your loss per week goal set too high. Here are some threads that may help you determine a healthy, realistic cal goal/deficit - and explain why it's vital to fuel the body properly.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20343-how-i-have-avoided-plateauing-length-warning
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Eat all of the calories MFP gives you in a day and spread those extra calories back in during your day. I tend to log my workouts before I go to the gym so that helps me distribute the extra calories. If you're not eating back what you burn off on those days you will NOT lose. Your body is going into starvation mode, that's why you are not losing. Weight watchers works the very same way. There's a lot of posts on here about eating back your exercise calories, and I know it's controversial but that's how you lose the pound/week and keep it off.

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

She did say she was eating back her exercise calories. :)

I am on a plateau as well... it's been like a month and before that I lost for two weeks after another month long plateau.... I've been having troubles sticking to my calories the last few days because it is sooo discouraging! -sigh- But I'm going to keep going. Maybe try something new... lol.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I am on a plateau as well... it's been like a month and before that I lost for two weeks after another month long plateau.... I've been having troubles sticking to my calories the last few days because it is sooo discouraging! -sigh- But I'm going to keep going. Maybe try something new... lol.

She may be eating them but the 1200 net is too low. When you don't have much to lose your goal should be 0.5lbs/week, which would give her more than 1200 and she should eat her exercise calories on top of the goal amount. at 0.5 lbs/week she may be given 1450 to 1600 cals. she should eat those plus exercise cals as she is doing. The issue is that her base of 1200 is not enough.
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    I have also been stuck for the last month! I just recently this week changed my goals to 0.5 pounds per week instead of 1 pound per week, since I am down to my last ten pounds. I haven't checked the scale yet, but I figure what do I have to lose? aside from weight if it actually works:)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The one thing that I can tell you that worked for me is to step away from the dang scale! I was stuck at what seemed like 170 for ages... then I put the scale away for about a month and I lost 5 pounds.

Instead of focusing on the number, focus on how you feel and how your clothes are fitting. To me thats more important then any old number :)
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I have just broken a month-long plateau. I was eating 1200 calories a day (I have about 30 lbs left to lose), about a week and a half ago I increased that to 1300. Not by much, but it seems to have made a difference and I've dropped 2 pounds this morning. I know you SAY you won't eat 1500 a day with only 15 lbs left to lose, but how about you meet me half way by trying to eat say 1300 - 1350 per day?
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Double post, sorry.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I would guess you are overestimating your calorie burn and eating too many calories. IF you have a HRM use that estimate. If not, try eating back 1/2 of whatever estimate you have been using. Don't get discouraged, A plateau like this is very common and you WILL get through it!
  • suzksell
    suzksell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Perhaps your body is at a healthy weight, even if it is higher than you'd like it to be. I know when I lost the weight I did, I was too light at my lowest -- doesn't mean I don't want to get closer to that than I am now (I'd like to lose 5 pounds from here, and range between 130-135, instead of 135-140),
    Your body may be telling you you are where you need to be.....I'm beginning to think that myself....and truly, I'm a happy girl any time the scale reads less than 140. :wink:
    Kaye

I'm just over 5 feet tall, and I have what might be described as a small frame (very tiny wrists, etc.). My mom was my height and weighed just over 100 pounds. I always thought that was way too small.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I was in a 3 week plateau after gaining a pound...I started watching my sodium intake eating more fruits intsead of candy/sugars and I've started to lose again. Maybe its the sodium?
  • suzksell
    suzksell Posts: 48 Member
    Options

She may be eating them but the 1200 net is too low. When you don't have much to lose your goal should be 0.5lbs/week, which would give her more than 1200 and she should eat her exercise calories on top of the goal amount. at 0.5 lbs/week she may be given 1450 to 1600 cals. she should eat those plus exercise cals as she is doing. The issue is that her base of 1200 is not enough.

The base of 1200 is what MFP gave me with a goal of .5 pounds lost per week. I am just over 5 feet tall. Also, with a fractured hip (that is going to be replaced in a month), I entered my daily exercise as very little on my initial profile. There are days when I am quite mobile, and some days when I am confined to a wheelchair. I started off with a 1 pound per week goal, but lowered it when I hit my first goal of 15 pounds lost. MFP didn't change my base calories after that.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    The base of 1200 is what MFP gave me with a goal of .5 pounds lost per week. I am just over 5 feet tall. Also, with a fractured hip (that is going to be replaced in a month), I entered my daily exercise as very little on my initial profile. There are days when I am quite mobile, and some days when I am confined to a wheelchair. I started off with a 1 pound per week goal, but lowered it when I hit my first goal of 15 pounds lost. MFP didn't change my base calories after that.

Aha...see, more info makes the picture clearer. :tongue:

MFP won't allow a guided goal of less than 1200, as that's the minimum recommended for the average woman to receive adequate nutrition. And being small, you have much less leeway in your cal levels. In your case, you are likely going to have very slow loss. Being smaller than average, you may be ok staying between about 1000-1200. But you will have to be VERY careful to make sure that your diet is very clean and you are meeting macro (protein/fat/carb) AND micro (vitamin and mineral) goals.

If at all possible, try to include as much strength/resistance training as possible. Watch sodium and water intake closely. And just be patient. The body prefers to have a cushion of fat, especially for women. So you have to coax those last few pounds off, and in your case it will be even slower and more difficult with less exercise and small stature. Just keep at it. :flowerforyou: