Stronger, Better, Faster Challenge August 28

Options
2»

Replies

• RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Just got back from the doc and it seems they aren't really sure what's going on with me anymore. :grumble: :laugh: When they did bloodwork on my thyroid it came back as a 0 when it should be between .3 and 5. Well when the Endocrinologist they sent me to did the same test, he got a .268, still out of range but not nearly as bad. At the same time he did a test on my liver when came back high at a 68 (don't know what normal range is or what they were testing) and when my normal doc did the test they got a 32. Soooo I'm a little frustrated. We're going to do the liver one again at the end of September and I get the results from my thyroid scans in the beginning of October so I guess it's back to waiting. I NEED to workout tonight and relieve some of this stress! :laugh:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! I'm sorry I tend to check in later, but I love catching up with everyone. Thank you all for welcoming me into this challenge even though I hadn't participated in the past. Nice to see you, WL! And that's a great quote - thank you for sharing.

I had a great workout day yesterday - my first Zumba class, and I kicked some butt on my pushups. :laugh: The next few days will be rough because I'll be working a lot, but I will try to at least do some DVD workouts if nothing else.

Have a great rest of day! :flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Hey cp! Don't worry about checking in late! I check my topics often through the day so I see your posts! We're glad you joined us on the challenge!

I have a question. When I started this site I ate 1200 calories plus exercise calories and I started losing weight. After 2-3 months I plateaued and someone said to up my calories and exercise and I did. Two weeks later I dropped some big numbers. I left the site due to personal issues for a couple of months. I've been back doing this for two months, strong. The first two weeks I ate 1360 calories + exercise cals. I lost nothing. So I lowered it to 1200 to see if I could jump start my weight loss again and get off these pounds I gained. I've been at 1200 for a month. I burn 1500 to 2000 calories a week. I keep gaining weight! I know some of it is muscle because I see it. But my clothes are not any looser. The last two days I noticed that I am just not hungry. Now tell me, do I need to bump up my calories? Am I in starvation mode? I'm very frustrated. I want to blame it on my non existent thyroid but I don't want that to be my crutch in life. And as always it's scary to bump up the calories. As it is I eat 1500-1800 calories a day. I have a 1000 calories to eat for dinner tonight. Ugh.
    I should know this stuff since I've been on here for almost a year. Help!
  • cp005e
    Options
    Oh, and update on the "new percentages". I like carbs. a lot. I don't know if I'll last. I felt a little more energetic. I think this is the same slow/fast oxidizer theory with another name. When I took that Jillian Michaels book from the library, I was a "slow oxidizer" which requires more protein and less carbs. I'll keep up with the search for balance.:flowerforyou:

Oops, I missed this post the first time through. I came up as a "slow oxidizer" as well... but I thought that meant that I needed more carbs and less protein? The fast oxidizers needed more protein because they process carbs too quickly and crash, whereas the slow oxidizers need more carbs because it takes them longer to get energy from protein. That's how I remember it, anyway.

I am apparently weird, because I am pretty steady all the time. By that, I mean that if I go without eating, I might get hungry, but if I am busy I will often forget. (Eating regularly has been a major change for me since I used to just forget.) And I have NEVER had symptoms typically associated with low blood sugar from not eating (like irritability, lethargy, dizziness, etc). Sugar does have some effect on me - I get more lethargic and crave more sugar.
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    My step-daughter is due for her first child in December. Her baby shower is September 27th and her mother will be there. She is always nice to my face or over the phone but has a mean streak a mile long and a tongue to match. I am looking forward to going. My daughter and daughter-in-law will be going also. I haven't seen the Ex in two years so needless to say she will see a new me....here's the part where I need some input-I'm already planning my woredrobe and am using that date as inspiration to stay motivated. Tacky? I can tell you this-I can't remember being this motivated in a long, long time.:bigsmile:

I think thats awesome! I think it feels nice at times to just "rub it in" others faces hahaha I dont think thats a good motive, but it sure feels good! hahaha
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Hey cp! Don't worry about checking in late! I check my topics often through the day so I see your posts! We're glad you joined us on the challenge!

I have a question. When I started this site I ate 1200 calories plus exercise calories and I started losing weight. After 2-3 months I plateaued and someone said to up my calories and exercise and I did. Two weeks later I dropped some big numbers. I left the site due to personal issues for a couple of months. I've been back doing this for two months, strong. The first two weeks I ate 1360 calories + exercise cals. I lost nothing. So I lowered it to 1200 to see if I could jump start my weight loss again and get off these pounds I gained. I've been at 1200 for a month. I burn 1500 to 2000 calories a week. I keep gaining weight! I know some of it is muscle because I see it. But my clothes are not any looser. The last two days I noticed that I am just not hungry. Now tell me, do I need to bump up my calories? Am I in starvation mode? I'm very frustrated. I want to blame it on my non existent thyroid but I don't want that to be my crutch in life. And as always it's scary to bump up the calories. As it is I eat 1500-1800 calories a day. I have a 1000 calories to eat for dinner tonight. Ugh.
    I should know this stuff since I've been on here for almost a year. Help!

Im always scared to bump mine up. I would try it out.Why not? What have you got to loose besides pounds? :tongue: Plus if you are already gaining you dont have to worry about that! hahaha Try it out, see how things go. It may help. I too dont know much about starvation mode... But its worth a shot! (Plus you get to eat more! haha)
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Just got back from the doc and it seems they aren't really sure what's going on with me anymore. :grumble: :laugh: When they did bloodwork on my thyroid it came back as a 0 when it should be between .3 and 5. Well when the Endocrinologist they sent me to did the same test, he got a .268, still out of range but not nearly as bad. At the same time he did a test on my liver when came back high at a 68 (don't know what normal range is or what they were testing) and when my normal doc did the test they got a 32. Soooo I'm a little frustrated. We're going to do the liver one again at the end of September and I get the results from my thyroid scans in the beginning of October so I guess it's back to waiting. I NEED to workout tonight and relieve some of this stress! :laugh:

Wow that is crazy! I think I would be annoyed!! Good luck with it all though :flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Ok all, here are my thoughts:

I really enjoy having you guys around :heart:

Kara - if you are on chemo, stop the diet. I mean it. It's not that important. That said, if you are not getting enough nutrition, this is a great site to do that. Try to keep the exercise, just walking for 20 minutes is fine.

Julie - Start picking out the outfits! Nothing like a little "show off" to make us feel good.

Rach - ask for a copy of the blood work results. Keep them in a file, you'll thank me later. Keep your chin up and I wish you well.

MM - if I knew, I wouldn't have the same problem. I usually don't have left over calories. And low functioning thyroid IS something to blame, are you on meds for it? If you go to low on the calories, you'll mess up the metabolism more. I am considering pushing mine to 1/2 lb a week - but, yeah, I'm afraid. I understand why people say this now.

CP - my thoughts on Jillian are less than flattering. She's a great workout coach, but I don't think she really knows nutrition. If what you are doing is working for you (and it seems like it is working), than don't over think it.

Cheers!

Mary
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Oh, and update on the "new percentages". I like carbs. a lot. I don't know if I'll last. I felt a little more energetic. I think this is the same slow/fast oxidizer theory with another name. When I took that Jillian Michaels book from the library, I was a "slow oxidizer" which requires more protein and less carbs. I'll keep up with the search for balance.:flowerforyou:

Oops, I missed this post the first time through. I came up as a "slow oxidizer" as well... but I thought that meant that I needed more carbs and less protein? The fast oxidizers needed more protein because they process carbs too quickly and crash, whereas the slow oxidizers need more carbs because it takes them longer to get energy from protein. That's how I remember it, anyway.

I am apparently weird, because I am pretty steady all the time. By that, I mean that if I go without eating, I might get hungry, but if I am busy I will often forget. (Eating regularly has been a major change for me since I used to just forget.) And I have NEVER had symptoms typically associated with low blood sugar from not eating (like irritability, lethargy, dizziness, etc). Sugar does have some effect on me - I get more lethargic and crave more sugar.

Oh, now I don't remember. I do remember it was the "less carbs" thing. I don't know. . .I've been thinking about it a lot and I think maybe I've been overdoing it not with the carbs but the bad (refined and sweetened mmm. . .mmmmmm......mmmmmm) kind. I'm trying to concentrate more on fruits and vegetables and less on bready items of any sort, but allowing myself whole grains. Looking back over my reports for about the past month, I have been skimping on the protein, so I will try to get that a little up, but I'm not going to become a "meat queen". Also, I'm re-pledging to being true to my "one dessert a week" credo.

We're all going through some stuff, eh? I never, ever thought I would be this involved in an online community. You guys are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Let's make this our rule: take care of ourselves! (that goes for me too. . .:wink: )

And hey, for the record, I second everything that Mary said above.:wink:
  • mechanicmom
    Options

MM - if I knew, I wouldn't have the same problem. I usually don't have left over calories. And low functioning thyroid IS something to blame, are you on meds for it? If you go to low on the calories, you'll mess up the metabolism more. I am considering pushing mine to 1/2 lb a week - but, yeah, I'm afraid. I understand why people say this now.

I am on meds for it and have been for 10 years. I'll bump my calories up if you bump yours up!:tongue: I may try to bump it up tomorrow. I have had a headache today and yesterday and I think it's from not eating enough. Carrie, you're right. What have a got to lose except more pounds? I almost wonder if my pregnancy/miscarriage last month messed things up too. I will probably bump my calories back up to my BMR and go from there. We'll see what happens. I know it will take a couple of weeks to see a difference. Come on Mary! We can do it!
    I will keep you guys in my prayers too. We do seem to be going through a lot right now.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options

I am on meds for it and have been for 10 years. I'll bump my calories up if you bump yours up!:tongue: I may try to bump it up tomorrow. I have had a headache today and yesterday and I think it's from not eating enough. Carrie, you're right. What have a got to lose except more pounds? I almost wonder if my pregnancy/miscarriage last month messed things up too. I will probably bump my calories back up to my BMR and go from there. We'll see what happens. I know it will take a couple of weeks to see a difference. Come on Mary! We can do it!
    I will keep you guys in my prayers too. We do seem to be going through a lot right now.

I did it. Now, your turn. Oh, I went to 1/2 lb a week.
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Oi. I did it Mary. I bumped it up to 1350 cals a day which comes out to about .8 pounds per week. Doesn't sound like enough. My BMR is 1396 so I figure this is pretty close. My husband does not understand why I would eat more to lose weight. I've tried to explain it to him but he doesn't get it. I was going to try to go with 1 1/2 pounds per week but it only went to 1240 which is 40 calories. That's not a big enough difference I don't think. So we will go with what I've got and see what happens. Remember Mary to give it a couple of weeks. It took me two weeks to see a difference the last time I did this.
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Oh and I forgot to say that I changed my profile from lightly active to sedentary. I didn't realize that's what it had been on. Not that it would have made a difference. It would have been worse. lol
    Here we go! I have 1150 calories to eat for dinner now. :laugh:
  • cp005e
    Options
    Let's make this our rule: take care of ourselves! (that goes for me too. . .:wink: )

Hear, hear! :flowerforyou: