Pei Wei - What to eat???

Options
clala82
clala82 Posts: 90 Member
My co-workers are going to lunch at Pei Wei today and I really want to join them, but what can a dieter eat there?

I looked at the nutrition facts online and am more confused than ever. Their serving sizes are out of this world, so I know I'll have to get half to go before I even start. What do you eat when you go to Pei Wei? Or do you just avoid eating there?

I'm trying to stay around 500 calories for the meal. I'm leaning towards ginger chicken. Or maybe a cup of soup and one of the apps. Help!

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Pei Wei and I thank God there's not one anywhere near where I live. LOL

So look at what is reasonable calorie wise and take half of your lunch home with you. Not only does this show you're self control but you're also going to show your co-workers how serious you are about what you're doing. AND you have some lunch tomorrow! Pei Wei 2 days in a row - and everyone else only got it once! HAH!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    here's their nutrition information:

http://www.peiwei.com/downloads/PeiWei_Nutritional_Allergy_Menu_Guide.pdf

good luck and ENJOY!!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Most of Pei Wei's entrees are considered 2 servings. Some decent choices, as long as you only eat half, would be:
    Dan Dan Noodles - 390 cal per servings
    Lo Mein dishes - most are around 500/serving
    you could order a couple things off the appetizer menu and just have that as a meal. They have edamame and spring rolls, all lower in calorie. Or order off the kids menu, for more portion control
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Mongolian chicken with brown rice looks like a decent choice, avoid soy sauce to limit sodium intake. Also, maybe chicken fried rice or dan dan noodles would be a good choice, calories don't look too bad but sodium is kind of high. Drink lots of water! The serving sizes are large, so whatever you choose to order, pack up half in a take away box before you even begin eating.

Go out and enjoy lunch!
  • Paigergirl
    Paigergirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think the lettuce wraps would be a pretty good choice. As long as you dont go overboard on all the sauces. :)
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I avoid it...I don't think the food is good.
    but looking at the site there are limited options.
    http://www.peiwei.com/downloads/PeiWei_Nutritional_Allergy_Menu_Guide.pdf

looking at the info on the site, I would do
    Small plates: wanton soup and spring roll
    Curry: any of them, but the shrimp thai coconut curry looks like it has good numbers

I would skip all the sign. dishes

watch the sodium. If the calories quantity looks nice and low, check out the sodium.

and finish with a nice green or chai tea!
  • navajoon
    navajoon Posts: 355
    Options
    I used to get the ginger broccoli chicken with brown rice. Keep in mind that each plate of food from Pei Wei is TWO servings. I didn't know that at first and was eating way too much. But one serving is 290 cals.

They also have edamame if you want an appetizer.
  • clala82
    clala82 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I ended up getting the ginger broccoli shrimp with brown rice. I ate all the broccoli, and put half the shrimp and half the rice in a to go container. Overall, it was a success. Now to drink a lot of water this afternoon!
  • thejonperry
    Options
    Thanks for the post too. I googled low cal pei wei and found this post. I love pei wei. Perhaps I can save a bunch of calories by not eating the rice? Not really a big fan of it

Brown Rice 340 calories (1 serving)
    White Rice 400 calories (1 serving)

Teriyaki Bowl - Chicken (w/ Brown Rice 920 calories (1 serving) - rice = 580
    Mongolian - Chicken 560 calories (1 serving)
    Honey Seared - Chicken 840 calroies (1 serving) - rice = 440

Does this look right?
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My fave is the Korean chicken with brown rice. I either get NO sauce or sometime I ask for it on the side.