heeeeellllp !

Options
So, I am having an awfully hard time attempting to motivate myself to eat clean and exercise- I feel super lazy and I know what I need to do to achieve my goals but I just cannot seem to break my bad habits! I love carbs and I love sweets, I want to change.. but I just keep disappointing myself! I don't know why I sabbotage my plans EVERYTIME! Its not like I want to fail! Anyone have any tips or pointers to finally succeed?!
Thank you,
Ashley

Replies

• Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just look in the mirror and ask yourself if you are happy with how you look and feel . It will motivate you to start a change if you are not happy. Log in every day for inspiration and whatever you need help with - ask ! - someone will share how to handle it. Good luck on your journey and remember - one day at a time :smile:
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    Take it a day at a time... you'll be shocked at how much better you feel once you've gotten the other crap out of your system. Plus, your energy will be better, so the exercise will follow. Take one step at a time and you'll see the momentum pull you along from there!

Personally, when I made the decision to break the bad food cycle, I went cold turkey and did a 5-day, 5-food, 5-meal challenge, cutting everything out but those 5 foods (it was the kick-start from the Cinch diet, if you're interested). I knew that if I just cut something here or there, I'd think about what I'm missing, but if I changed everything, I'd concentrate more on how to spice up those 5 to make it through 5 days. After 5 day, I'd lost about 10 pounds and felt so great that I never reintroduced a lot of things.

Good luck - you CAN do this! :)
  • lisamarie1227
    Options
    i just had to come to the realization that nobody could help me except me. i was having the same problem when i started and i think it is common. just remember that YOU are in control of your body...not the other way around. good luck:happy:
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    Sometimes it is very hard to change your whole life all at once. Pick one thing that you know is unhealthy and work to improve it. When you are comfortable with your change, and comfortable that you have really developed a new habit, tackle the next trouble spot. Try not to fall into the trap of thinking you have to be perfect. You will be amazed at the progress you will make if you do a great job about 90% of the time. Another thing that has helped me tackle a tough change in the past is to make a list of pros and cons for my change. When I feel a moment of weakness coming along, I review my list. Even with the "cons" right in front of me, the pros almost always win. Also helpful is keeping a journal of how great I feel when I'm exercising regularly and eating like someone with some sense. Remember, this is about YOU being the healthiest you possible.
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    I recommend not cutting out your 'treats'- just cut them down and fit them in to your daily calorie goal .... if you cut them out completely you're more likely to fall off the wagon!
  • highland_sky
    highland_sky Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Downsize your sweet tooth :). Rather than having the big candy bar , cookie, carb....- make sure you have the mini's/smallest version you can around. They usually only have 50 calories - mini candy bars, so as long as you don't go overboard it is a great treat. The other odd thing, rather than banning sweets / carbs from my house all together - I actually overstocked the shelves. I have found i eat less that way. It is there and I know it is, so less need to binge on them. Go figure?
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    maybe try the 80/20 rule.....as in 80% of the time, i do what is good for my body. and 20% of the time, i do whatever the hell i want, guilt free :)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    So, I am having an awfully hard time attempting to motivate myself to eat clean and exercise- I feel super lazy and I know what I need to do to achieve my goals but I just cannot seem to break my bad habits! I love carbs and I love sweets, I want to change.. but I just keep disappointing myself! I don't know why I sabbotage my plans EVERYTIME! Its not like I want to fail! Anyone have any tips or pointers to finally succeed?!
    Thank you,
    Ashley

Just change the kinds of carbs and sweets you eat. Eat whole wheat and whole grain carbs, and for "sweets", eat fruit or drink some milk or juice. Your body doesn't distinguish between the kinds of carbs and sugar it's asking for, it's just your brain associating those cravings with processed food. Just eating the more natural types of nutrients will allow your body to adjust and your brain will begin associating those cravings for those natural sources.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Don't deny yourself "unclean" food 100% of the time. Some people can successfully do this, for most it leads to feeling deprived and ultimately failing. Try to plan your day in the morning and then stick to the plan, don't eat it if it isn't on the plan. I often have a treat at night. That way, when I'm craving a candy bar at 3 p.m., I just remind myself of the treat I'm going to have after following my plan all day.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Missing a day of exercising or eating over your calorie goals once in a while isn't going to derail your weight loss efforts. Just start over the next day.
  • Nharah
    Nharah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Love yourself. You are the most important person in your world and deserve to be happy.

The exercise part I am struggling with myself... I am using the "you can do anything for 5 minutes at a time" method. I start the timer and vow that I am going to make it thru the 5 minutes.. once I get going, it might be 5,6 or 11 minutes.. but I conquered the getting started part. (Plus, I have made it a condition that each time I want a cup of coffee, I MUST get on the treadmill)

but the eating clean part... I can answer that with absolutely NO authority what so ever!

Cleaning out the cupboards and snack stashes helped me. Take a cupboard or shelf and set a timer for 5 minutes and toss everything that you know you should NOT be eating then do not go into the dark dangerous interior of the grocery store, there be dragons there!
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    personal advice, just do it. whatever it is u need to do just do it. while its great to have a support system behind u, u are the only one who can truly make the difference. when u have had enough, is when u will be able to just do it. as far as foods are concerned, i was a chocoholic, switch to small portions of dark chocolate. sweets, again fruits. i still eat bad at least once a week. its the only way i can keep from going crazy! lol. best of luck to u!