Any breastfeeding Moms out there?

Options
I am looking to loose some pregnancy pounds. I am 7 weeks postpartum and got down to 184 lbs before getting preggers and I am now sitting at 215lbs. Argh. I want to continue my weight lose, but I am not sure how many calories I should be aiming for while breast feeding. I want to take advantage of the 500 calories a day that breastfeeding burns , but I also don't want to deplete my milk supplies. Do you think 1500 calories a day would allow me to loose weight but still maintain my milk supply. I am exercising an average of 30 min four times a week, but would like to pick that up in the next couple weeks. I would like to loose 1.5 to 2 lbs a week. What do you think???

Replies

• JenB545
    JenB545 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey, Iscotch! I'm a breastfeeding first-time mom of a 7 month old! Good for you getting back into exercise and healthy eating so soon after having your baby! I think you are going to find that some days you are going to feel like you are STARVING if you are on a 1500 calorie per day diet. And other days 1500 will be perfect!

At least that's where I'm at! I just started a really intense workout program (I did 30 Day Shred at 6 weeks postpartum and now I'm doing INSANITY). I've been aiming for 1500 calories while factoring in my workouts which allows for more calories.

I think 1500 is a good benchmark with workouts allowing you more calories. Bur just be sensitive to your body. If you aren't getting much sleep and stressed with new baby, it is not the time to stress about what you eat. For me I've lost the 50 lbs. i gained with my pregnancy just by working out and using my calories on filling, healthy food. You may find that eating higher protein and less white carbs and refined sugars is enough to get the weigh off without even restricting calories while you are nursing. That's been the case for me!
  • mvanwey
    mvanwey Posts: 5
    Options
    hi! i am breastfeeding my 9 month old! i waited until my ,milk supply was well established before i started cutting calories! breastfeeding burns 20 calories per once of milk you produce. (may be hard if you arnt pumping/strictly nursing) but you get the idea!
    once you go back to work-if you are going back- its easier to calculate how many calories breastfeeding burns. my lactation consultant told me not to go below 1800 calories per day while breastfeeding.