EAT OR EXERCISE FIRST?

Options
I WAS WONDERING IS IT BETTER TO EAT FIRST THEN EXERCISE? OR EXERCISE THEN EAT?

Replies

• ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I think it's personal preference. I work out in the morning before eating, because if I eat before I work out I tend to feel sluggish and get stomach pains.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I think it's personal preference. I work out in the morning before eating, because if I eat before I work out I tend to feel sluggish and get stomach pains.

Ditto! There's no way I can workout on a full stomach.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I do both! If I don't eat before, I burnout quick on energy. Then after I'm wiped out so I need to re-fuel. I just pick healthy stuff.
  • kennysrush
    kennysrush Posts: 124
    Options
    If his opinion holds any weight - Dr. Oz says workout before you eat so that you are burning off the old fat/carbs first thing. I always workout first, weigh in, than eat breakfast.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    i prefer night time workouts, so of course i eat before, but when i do my two daytime workouts a week, i dont eat much. which sucks bc halfway thru the workout i can feel my tummy going nutso! lol. i think it just depends on the person and what they want to do. best of luck!
  • FAtGiRLFItGiRL
    Options
    thats what i normally do too i was just wondering.
  • love2bthin
    love2bthin Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    When I work out in the mornings, I exercise first and than eat. Wish you the best
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    Eat simply carbs before you work out that way your body has some energy and complex after that way you feel more full then you are and you will get plenty of energy later when you feel tired. Becuase complex carbs are usally very heavy on the stomach and meat also is heavy before a cardio workout.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    If you work out later in the day, obviously it would be wise to have food first. If you're planning to work out in the morning, I'd say a short HIIT routine before breakfast would be the better suggestion.

But, as previously stated, it's all based on personal preference.
  • madmand0802
    madmand0802 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I tend to have my breakfast and wait at least 2 hours then workout just time to recover before I have lunch ..... although I do an evening Zumba and don't like to eat too late so again eat 2 hours before, as long as your exercising and you don't run out of energy keep your water intake up then do what suits you and your lifestyle, better than sitting on your bum x
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    I do my aerobic workout in the morning before breakfast and walk my mile or two in the evenings after dinner..
  • allmanro
    allmanro Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It depends...I can't workout on E. I just find myslef moving too slow. But I have found great things to eat right before a workout that won't way you down or full you up to the point of cramping on the machines! lol try PB on a slice of low cal bread, like the sandwhich thins, or a half ofa banana these items will fill u up for a while and give you energy! ♥
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    Personal preference, as others mentioned, and time of day. I usually workout after work and then eat dinner but I have a snack in the afternoon. If I workout first thing in the morning I need to have something light before or I run out of energy. I usually eat an english muffin with peanut butter or something that's not going to be heavy in my stomach.

Whatever works for you... everybody is different.
  • 702GRACECITY
    Options
    Personally what i do EVERY Day Mon-Sat (Rest on Sundays) is:

I wake up; make up my Bed, Brush my Teeth/wash my Teeth, get Dressed. Then Take 2-Strawberry Weight Management Fiber Choice Chewables, 1-Priolosec, & 1 Chromium Picolinate, and down 1-20oz Bottle of Water, then i go on my 6-Mile Power Walk.

Afterwards i have Breakfast, w/Breakfast i take 1-Omega Fish Oil Pill & Multi-Vitamin Weight Managment. Couple of Hours later my Morning Snack.

Then i do 30-Mins on the Exercise Bike.

Few hours later i have Lunch, w/Lunch i take another Omega Fish Oil Pill & B-12 Vitamin. few hours later my afternoon Snack.

Then i do 150-Mins on the Wii-Fit

Then i have Dinner where i take my last OMEGA Fish Oil Pill

I Shower, relax have some Dessert, have my Prayer & Meditation Time and go to Bed!!!!

The idea is you want to start out your day w/Exercise BEFORE you eat to get your Metabolism going, but you don't want to do your entire Wk-Out all at once, its better to break it up through out the Day to keep your Metabolism CONSTANTLY going/Moving through out the Day to help Burn Calories & Fat!!!!

I hope this helps, GOD Bless!!!!!

:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I always eat first. I work out for way too long (2 hours on weekdays, 3 hours on weekends) to not eat something first. I never eat a big meal because I couldn't make it through a long workout with a bunch of food in my stomach, but I also couldn't work out at the intensity level that I like if I didn't eat something first.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    i really enjoyed those early a.m. pre-breakfast workouts too (as long as they didn't go longer than about 20 min!!!) but have since learned according to conventional coaching wisdom it's far better to 'break the fast' at least a little bit with a bite or two before you exercise to fire up your metabolism - it also prevents your body from burning lean muscle...
  • InfamousQ
    InfamousQ Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I like to take a pre-work drink before and take in a lot of water then hit the gym real hard....I will only eat a little before I run but that is it...
  • FAtGiRLFItGiRL
    Options
    thats what ive been doing. and i feel great
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've read workout first then eat, that way your body is still going and you will burn more calories.
  • curlyloca
    curlyloca Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i eat light because i need fuel. when i get home, i finish what i started. it helps. =)