What song?

Options
sculley
sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
One of the other topics has me thinking what song will you play for your son or daughter for your dance at their wedding.........

I used to sing "simple man" by shinedown (or for people that like classic rock simple man by lynard skynard) to my son when he was a baby and I still do it from time to time.

That is going to be the song :love:

Well mama told me, when I was young
Said sit beside me, my only son
And listen closely to what I say
And if you do this, it'll help you some sunny day

Ahhh
Yeah it will

Or take your time don't live to fast
Troubles will come and they will pass
You'll find a woman and you'll find love
And don't forget that there's is a someone up above

[Chorus]
Be a simple kind of man
Be a something you love and understand
Baby be a simple kind of man
Oh won't you do this for me son if you can
(if you can)

Forget your lust for the rich man's gold
All that you need now is in your soul
And you can do this(oh baby)if you try
All that I want from you my son is to be satisfied

[Chorus]
And be a simple kind of man
Be a something that you love and understand
(if you can)

Oh don't you worry
You'll find yourself
Follow your heart
And nothing else

[Chorus]
So baby be a simple be a simple man

Replies

• sculley
    Options
    One of the other topics has me thinking what song will you play for your son or daughter for your dance at their wedding.........

I used to sing "simple man" by shinedown (or for people that like classic rock simple man by lynard skynard) to my son when he was a baby and I still do it from time to time.

That is going to be the song :love:

Well mama told me, when I was young
    Said sit beside me, my only son
    And listen closely to what I say
    And if you do this, it'll help you some sunny day

Ahhh
    Yeah it will

Or take your time don't live to fast
    Troubles will come and they will pass
    You'll find a woman and you'll find love
    And don't forget that there's is a someone up above

[Chorus]
    Be a simple kind of man
    Be a something you love and understand
    (if you can)

Forget your lust for the rich man's gold
    All that you need now is in your soul

[Chorus]
    Be a something that you love and understand
    (if you can)

Oh don't you worry
    You'll find yourself
    Follow your heart
    And nothing else

[Chorus]
    So baby be a simple be a simple man
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I have two DD - and I LOVE "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack - I play that for them (I can't sing to save my life, lol).

My son...hmmm something with cars or trucks in it - that's all he cares about right now (he's 3, lol).
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    Simple Man has been my baby boy's song since he was born. I used to rock him in the rocking chair and sing it to him. If he ever decides to get married this would be the song I would play also. He's always heard it on the radio and said hey ma my songs playin!! When Shinedown redid it... he called me up and goes... Ma.. they ruined my song! I said no they didn't ruin it. They just upgraded it. LOL
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Simple man was the song my hubby and his mom danced to at our wedding. LOL. He did the Shinedown version
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I Hope You Dance by LeAnn Womack is me and my lil guys song.:happy:
  • sculley
    Options
    Awesome... I was hearing crickets for alittle while there lol
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    My little boy is 4 months right now and I like to sing "Godspeed," by the Dixie Chicks to him. For his wedding, I have no idea - I guess we'll have to see how it goes once we get past teething! Haha.
  • sculley
    Options
    My little boy is 4 months right now and I like to sing "Godspeed," by the Dixie Chicks to him. For his wedding, I have no idea - I guess we'll have to see how it goes once we get past teething! Haha.

I saw that one to Rion as well.... that is an awesome song isn't it. But I relate more to the original one i choose.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    even though marriage is not in my near future I know the song(s) I want to dance with my dad to. I have a friend who is a DJ who I want to mix a few songs and they are
    A love without end amen(George strait)
    Tough little boys(gary allen)
    I turn to you(chiritina Augiulera)
    and even tho its more a dedication its BEAUTIFUL(Dance with my father(Luther vandross)
    just a little blurb from each one...
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    When my son get's married to Joanna (Healthier_Me's) youngest...:laugh: :wink:........... MANY YEARS FROM NOW of course!...............

the song we have to dance to is Stand By Me....that is the song I sang to him very early on and he would always calm down and look at me in awe.

When I got married, I danced to What a Wonderful World with my dad.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    i think if my dad were to choose for me...he might choose "Melissa" by the Allman brothers possibly.

great question! i hadn't thought too much about it to tell you the truth...

(oh btw, the ones of you saying, "i thought your name was Emily!" My middle name is Melissa :)
  • nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    you cant beat simple man one of my all time favorites. or it would have to be thats my job. its a country song where a son is thinking back on his life and reflecting about his dad after hes gone and how every time the son stumbled in life his dad was their to pick him up and dust him off and what his dad always said to him. the chorus goes( thats my job, thats what i do, every thing i do is because of u to keep you safe with me, thats my job you see.) thats just what i beleive my babies are my life and i would die just so they did not feel an ounce of pain if i could ever help it.
  • sculley
    Options
    you cant beat simple man one of my all time favorites. or it would have to be thats my job. its a country song where a son is thinking back on his life and reflecting about his dad after hes gone and how every time the son stumbled in life his dad was their to pick him up and dust him off and what his dad always said to him. the chorus goes( thats my job, thats what i do, every thing i do is because of u to keep you safe with me, thats my job you see.) thats just what i beleive my babies are my life and i would die just so they did not feel an ounce of pain if i could ever help it.

I was singing the chorus before I even read it..... lol i know that song and it's beautiful
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options

I saw that one to Rion as well.... that is an awesome song isn't it. But I relate more to the original one i choose.

Yeah, it really is. I can barely get through it without choking up.
  • stacystar
    stacystar Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would sing a song by Kate Wolf called Give Yourself to Love. I have been singing it to both of them since forever.
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    songs that i might have played for my son when he was getting married:
    Carry on wayward son- Kansas
    World Full of Hate- Dropkick Murphys
    Without You- from the RENT sdtk
    Old Man- Neil Young
    or maybe just the LIttle Einsteins theme song
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options

I absolutely love this song.. making me teary. :cry:

I don't want to think about my girls getting married, ever so... :ohwell: I hope you Dance is nice but I sang different ones to each - Oldest: Kenny Loggin's Winnie the Pooh song, middle girl: Phil Collin's "for one so small you seem so strong.. my arms will hold you keep you safe and warm.." For my youngest Jack Johnson's song -- from Curious George -- wish I could remember it right now but it's about having to learn to do things for yourself. I can see my hubby dancing to these songs.. but really --getting choked up just thinking about that moment... thank God it is not for a while!! :happy: